Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,392,003 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't figure out why this asshat was let out of prison and let back in to FB. I have zero respect for him, and the game of FB. The attitude towards what he did by many people is revolting. I've read articles where people are quoted as saying " well it was just a dog its not like he killed someone" and " he's done his time he's been rehabilitated." The problem with that logic is that next time he fancies killing it might be a human, that's the trouble with a cowardice eunuch who gets off on torturing helpless little doggies, at some point its possible that they may accelerate their behavior to humans. Jeffrey Dahmer started with rabbits, then cats, then dogs, and we all know what came next...sick..sick...sick. I can't believe people think this guy is a hero because he "overcame his past."

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of…’ - Shutdown Corner - NFL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,373,469 times
When Vick first got out of jail, and started making appearances against dogfighting for HSUS I thought, well, even if he's not sincere, if he can convince kids he's seen the light and dogfighting is bad, that's a good thing. But I've never once heard him address the pain and suffering he caused those dogs.
Strange to hear him say his misses dogs' companionship but I guess not unusual. I once accidentally stumbled on a website about dogfighting, with awful pictures, and a woman's lament of her best fighting dog she'd ever had who had finally lost a fight badly and had to be put to sleep. So bizarre, I've cried over peoples tributes to their dogs before, this one made me want to cry in a different way, and also made me want to just throw up.
He talks about growing up poor and I get that but plenty of poor people know to treat animals with respect. And dogfighting happens in every community. Doctors and lawyers and judges participate. Breeders who say we don't support dogfighting participate. It's a twisted world that I wish we could address better. All I know to do is try to make people more aware.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,703,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I honestly can't figure out why this asshat was let out of prison and let back in to FB. I have zero respect for him, and the game of FB. The attitude towards what he did by many people is revolting. I've read articles where people are quoted as saying " well it was just a dog its not like he killed someone" and " he's done his time he's been rehabilitated." The problem with that logic is that next time he fancies killing it might be a human, that's the trouble with a cowardice eunuch who gets off on torturing helpless little doggies, at some point its possible that they may accelerate their behavior to humans. Jeffrey Dahmer started with rabbits, then cats, then dogs, and we all know what came next...sick..sick...sick. I can't believe people think this guy is a hero because he "overcame his past."

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of…’ - Shutdown Corner - NFL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
I don't think that Vick is a mental giant and I don't think that he's had any fundamental change of heart and, if there was any change of heart, I think it has been obliterated by his field success last year...

However...

The induction in the bolded portion is one that I'm not prepared to make, nor should you be.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,397,060 times
There is the problem right there. For anyone who is not an animal lover they see things differently. The problem is when so many are saying well it was just a dog, what do we expect from ignorance.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
There is the problem right there. For anyone who is not an animal lover they see things differently. The problem is when so many are saying well it was just a dog, what do we expect from ignorance.
???

I'm not sure I'm following.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 AM

11,235 posts, read 19,432,890 times
Based on the article linked here I feel his true colors are starting to re-emerge and all the people who venerate him so will be red in the face when he is once again caught in some animal abuse scheme.

"did his time" gah. "two years of his life" for taking great pleasure in torturing animals. Reading that article made me want to puke over his smarmy "poor me" attitude. What a cat box full of crap that guy is.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM

515 posts, read 714,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Based on the article linked here I feel his true colors are starting to re-emerge and all the people who venerate him so will be red in the face when he is once again caught in some animal abuse scheme.

"did his time" gah. "two years of his life" for taking great pleasure in torturing animals. Reading that article made me want to puke over his smarmy "poor me" attitude. What a cat box full of crap that guy is.
You took the words right outta my mou....er, um,... right offa my keyboard!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
???

I'm not sure I'm following.
Some who torture animals, go on to torture humans.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Some who torture animals, go on to torture humans.
I think the statement is at least logically sound when set out in that manner (although I have some complicated reservations with regard to that opinion), but I'm not sure how you arrive at the above from "There is the problem right there. For anyone who is not an animal lover they see things differently. The problem is when so many are saying well it was just a dog, what do we expect from ignorance." That's what I'm not following...

Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,176,244 times
I blame people like Michael Vick for making someone normally pretty kind and emphatic just have the most violent fantasies. Its sort hard to not get really cynical, turn into a hater. Not sure how I'm doing with the battle but I refuse to just go the "oh I don't want to hear about it" route either.

It sickens me how people will forgive a celebrity (whether it sports, religion, political) pretty much anything. If someone was a good enough player - what wouldn't they forgive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets