U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times

Advertisements

That's why I was a breeder for 20 years! I love puppies! But health problems & over pupulation....oh well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 PM

28 posts, read 125,630 times
interesting... i can see animal lovers now picketing animal abortion clinics

Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
What? They do it on people all the time?
Just like Katie said, a vet will spay an already pregnant dog at a higher fee because more is involved in the surgery. What I am saying is why put any dog through any of that, just get them spayed to begin with? Yes, puppies are cute, but puppies in a pound about to be euthanized are not.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Just like Katie said, a vet will spay an already pregnant dog at a higher fee because more is involved in the surgery. What I am saying is why put any dog through any of that, just get them spayed to begin with? Yes, puppies are cute, but puppies in a pound about to be euthanized are not.
Yes, broken, I agree 1000% with you. Spay or neuter your pet unless you are a reputable code of ethics breeder...on any given day of the week you can find mama and her pups at the shelter. Obviously someone could resist the pups and the mama too...

Katie1, very information post...thanks.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most owners still feel that the female or male should have a litter before they have them fixed.
My personal feeling is if you aren't a breeder that will stand behind those pups for the rest of their lives and take them back from their adoptive homes no matter what, then get your pet spayed. Most owners may feel there's something to this "let them breed one time" thought, but there's nothing on the books to suggest this is of benefit to the owner OR the dogs...too much overpopulation as it is. There are horrible pitfalls to unplanned breeding, but that's another topic altogether.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM

1,930 posts, read 9,457,870 times
OMG! I think my baby girl was pregnant! We made appointments to get Destiny (7 months old) and Jayda (9 months old) spayed and get Brooklyn (1 year and 4 months old) neutered, the last thing this world needs is more "pit bull" puppies for people to abuse and fight! Anyway, Destiny was first to go and she just got spayed about two weeks ago, she still has her stitches in and I have to take her back to the vet later this week. When I went to pick her up from the vet after they spayed her I was told that it was a good thing I brought her in when I did because she was in heat (her 1st time). No one said anything to me about her being pregnant though! When I got home I was reading over the invoice and there is a charge of $45.00 for "Complications due to pregnancy" I'm home with them all day everyday and anytime we aren't home with them they are each in their own crates, so if she really was pregnant I have no idea how we missed that. It's unbelievable to me that she even could get pregnant! She's still a baby herself! If she was really pregnant I'm just glad that we got her in when we did because I wouldn't even want to risk having anything happen to my baby girl and I'm very against breeding unless you are breeding to better, or at the very least, maintain the breed. Anyway, does that mean that she was pregnant? I can't think of anything else, I mean it says "$45.00 for Complications due to pregnancy"! And if she was pregnant, isn't that something I should have been told about? I'm definitely going to have a talk with the vet later this week!

About the whole abortion for pets thing.. I don't even know if that's possible! As other have already said, most vets will spay the dog when she's pregnant, but I have never heard of a pet abortion. I think people should just spay and neuter their pets!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 AM

PBM Sound like to me she was preg...When does you other girl get spayed?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,438,116 times
I think that there is also a shot that can be given immediatly after mating that will prevent pregnancy. Sort of a "morning after"pill" for pets.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 AM

Yes that is what breeders use when the wrong dogs mate, but it does not always work. & you have to catch them & get them to the vet in 24 hours. It prolongs the heat cycle & on the next heat you are not to breed them. & they are more costly than spaying. Most vets will not use it on a pet & vets that do it for breeder only do it 1 time. If it is a mix or not top of the line breeder please get the dog spayed before the 1st heat. Dogs do not need to go thru heat cycles nor have pups before they are fixed. Just think of wolves only the top male & female mate in a pack. If only the top dogs mated & the rest spay/nutered there would still be plenty of dogs in this world & no need for humane socities. & these news disigner dogs are just mixes to rip off the people that don' know better. The best designer dog is being put to sleep at your local pound...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

3,402 posts, read 12,209,051 times
Pregnancy Termination in Dogs and Cats

here you go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or