Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times

Advertisements

Dog? Cat?...makes no matter to me...a friend and a companion, either selection is a win, win choice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I can see your point, and that's what I was hoping for in this thread. Do you care to elaborate on why someone like me would not be a good first time dog foster parent? I can guess why but I'd rather let you share your own opinion.

Thanks.
Perhaps because dogs who are being fostered sometimes have been neglected or abused. A fearful dog is an unpredictable dog. Even long time dog owners who have trained their own dogs can find this hard to handle. Letting someone who has never owned a dog foster a dog with issues would be unwise for the person and the dog.

I doubt it has anything to do with you personally. Perhaps the person you spoke with was aware of the dogs needing a foster situation and she felt you wouldn't have the skill set to make it a good fit. I've owned a couple dogs and I can say that I would NOT be capable of dealing with a dog that had aggression or fear issues.

Clearly, you want to help. Perhaps you can volunteer at a shelter and gain some knowledge and experience so that you can foster dogs in the future.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
No I don't feel superior for having dogs. I love cats but my dogs don't. Dog, cat, rabbit, etc. whatever folks like; they're furry friends that are deserving of our love.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Most places are desparate for more foster homes as animals come streaming in and their space is limited. I'm sure they could find a dog with no major issues who just hasn't been having any luck in getting adopted. I would think they'd be happy to get the offer. Like I said, try somewhere else.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Perhaps because dogs who are being fostered sometimes have been neglected or abused. A fearful dog is an unpredictable dog. Even long time dog owners who have trained their own dogs can find this hard to handle. Letting someone who has never owned a dog foster a dog with issues would be unwise for the person and the dog.

I doubt it has anything to do with you personally. Perhaps the person you spoke with was aware of the dogs needing a foster situation and she felt you wouldn't have the skill set to make it a good fit. I've owned a couple dogs and I can say that I would NOT be capable of dealing with a dog that had aggression or fear issues.

Clearly, you want to help. Perhaps you can volunteer at a shelter and gain some knowledge and experience so that you can foster dogs in the future.
I kind of see your point, but cats have issues too. I think an argument can be made that the right foster parent is someone who knows how to deal with that kind of animal. That might be a cat owner or a dog owner. As a cat owner, I may have much more experience dealing with shy, anxious or vicious animals than a dog owner might. I wouldn't claim to know how to deal with aggression issues but I can handle fear issues pretty well, I think.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
I kind of see your point, but cats have issues too. I think an argument can be made that the right foster parent is someone who knows how to deal with that kind of animal. That might be a cat owner or a dog owner. As a cat owner, I may have much more experience dealing with shy, anxious or vicious animals than a dog owner might. I wouldn't claim to know how to deal with aggression issues but I can handle fear issues pretty well, I think.
True, but what you don't have is experience dealing with those things in dogs. In dogs, fear is the largest cause of aggression. A fearful cat will run and hide. A fearful dog may resort to the only way it knows to protect itself and bite. Their psychology is very different.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I've been owned by cats and dogs, they both present different challenges. However I'm sure there are some dogs that would fit into your life as fosters, to pass you over just because you haven't owed dogs before is short sighted. There may be a senior dog who isn't doing well at a shelter that might be a good fit, a dog recovering from surgery, something low key to start with. Volunteering at the shelter is a great way to gain more knowledge and also be involved enough to lend a hand and foster when the right situation presents it's self. As long as your cats approve of fostering too, we had two siamese and they tortured our first dog to no end.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
As a cat owner, I may have much more experience dealing with shy, anxious or vicious animals than a dog owner might.
I rest my case!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
I was talking to someone who does dog rescue & fostering about the idea of fostering a dog. She seemed to laugh at the idea since I've only ever owned cats (for more than 20 years). I'd love to foster dogs and think I'd do a good job. I couldn't seem to convince her that a cat owner could also be a good dog owner.

Do dog "people" just feel superior to cat people? What is it that makes them feel superior?

I don't know why they would, and if they do, it doesn't matter. Bird people are superior to everyone.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
True, but what you don't have is experience dealing with those things in dogs. In dogs, fear is the largest cause of aggression. A fearful cat will run and hide. A fearful dog may resort to the only way it knows to protect itself and bite. Their psychology is very different.
That's not entirely true. I've worked with fearful cats that will bite, scratch and attack. It took me about 6 weeks with one cat before it would let me pet it. Dogs may be different but cats have some of the same issues. Dogs are just bigger and can do more harm if afraid or provoked unintentionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets