Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,798 times

Advertisements

I've had a hard time renting with my dog. I started with 1 boxer. It was hard finding places that would allow dogs over 35 pounds. But I finally found one, and in the lease it says you can have 2 pets, so of course I got another boxer. I suppose my next move will have to be to a house I own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM

30 posts, read 45,166 times
There is a reason. Pets= messy. especially dogs. Cats are more clean granted that they use their litter pan.

As a real estate agent, landlords and property owners generally do not want pets in the apartment units. A big factor depends where you are. But let's face the facts that pets can be messy(love them to death though). A stain on the carpet which can be left unnoticed and untreated for weeks can leave ugly stains and decrease the value of the property and just looks unattractive. The longer a stain is in the carpet the harder and more expensive it will be to get out.

Another common complaint is the noise, dogs bark. Cats like to scratch everywhere and ruin furniture and walls. Some of us just don't want to deal with it.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I do think that animals should be assessed, rather than a flat out denial. Jasper is fixed, and declawed. He is quiet. But I wish I could afford my own place. I can't. So now, it is almost like having a pet is a Socio-Economic indicator...if you own property you can have a pet. Or if you can afford the high pet deposit many places have.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Just wanted to express my sympathy! I may be a landlord starting later this year and will definitely allow cats, probably a dog too as long as I can meet him/her first.

To the poster who said he/she couldn't understand people who give up their pets when they move: I have always thought that such people should NEVER be allowed the privilege of having a pet again. If you have a pet, why would you move somewhere that doesn't allow them???!! (Whenever I visit my local Humane Society and read those little notes about why the pet is available, I want to scream at the ones that say "moved, couldn't take cat.")

When I lived in Berkeley I got kittens who really tore up the living room curtain. I had no problem at all paying for it when I moved out. When I lived in Ann Arbor I had to pay a pet deposit (can't remember what it was, maybe $100-200) PLUS monthly "cat rent" (I think $20 a month) which was just for the privilege of having a cat (it wasn't put toward any damages or anything -- actually there wasn't any damage there, the cats had learned to use scratching posts by then). I agreed that having my pets was a privilege but it seemed nuts to have to pay $240 extra every year and STILL be charged if there was any damage.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Jasper sounds like a sweetie! I feel for you!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,690 times
Its not just the "no pets" its the size restrictions as well. Just because its smaller doesn't mean it won't do any less damage.

I agree about people who don't try to take their pets with them should not be allow to own another. I see it on craigslist all the time. Its a shame.

Edit to add

I can understand why some LL won't allow people with pets. Honestly when I go to a pet store to truth is hard to ignore.......

Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Before you condemn people who move and cannot take pets, consider that some of them may be moving to assisted living or a nursing home, cannot physically take care of one, and have no family member or friends willing to take the animal.

Some may be in such dire financial straits that they cannot afford to have a pet.

Some may be moving in with family and restrictions on the family's existing living arrangements will not permit taking the pet. Should the entire family move?

Many folks who give up their pets are devastated. They really do not want to do it, and it does not mean they necessarily are evil people or bad pet owners.

Have all of you made arrangements for the care of your animals if you are unable to do it or in the event of your death, including funds for the expenses involved?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I do think that animals should be assessed, rather than a flat out denial.
I agree with you.

We have limited options in Dallas because we have 2 Golden Retrievers. If apartments allow pets, they must be less than 25 lb. or monthly payments go up 2x.

We were really lucky to find a pet friendly community near a lake, so the daily walks are enjoyable for the furry girls and us. We had to pay a high pet deposit for each of them and part of the rent is a pet fee.

I agree with those posters saying that irresponsible pet owners ruin the experience for all of us and for landlords. After a lady with an aggressive pit bull out of the leash attacked us and hurt one of our dogs, and torn apart a little chihuahua a week later, our complex started with breed restrictions. People that won't pick up after their dogs made it so unbearable that fining the owners became necessary.

I wish the OP luck with his/her search for apartments. I know how hard it can be.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Before you condemn people who move and cannot take pets, consider that some of them may be moving to assisted living or a nursing home, cannot physically take care of one, and have no family member or friends willing to take the animal.

Some may be in such dire financial straits that they cannot afford to have a pet.

Some may be moving in with family and restrictions on the family's existing living arrangements will not permit taking the pet. Should the entire family move?

Many folks who give up their pets are devastated. They really do not want to do it, and it does not mean they necessarily are evil people or bad pet owners.

Have all of you made arrangements for the care of your animals if you are unable to do it or in the event of your death, including funds for the expenses involved?
I'm not saying that ALL people who that give up their pets are "irresponsible" but in my opinion some people don't try hard enough. Or worse yet they get pets only thinking "short-term" pets are a commitment. I'm not surprised though people can hardly commit to one another why should pets be any different.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,753 times
Prior to buying my house, I had a heck of a time finding someone willing to rent to me with two cats. I was very upset because my cats are very clean and have never had an accident. I am also a neat freak and was very frustrated. I tried telling the potential landlords how clean my cats were, but it fell on deaf ears. My dad, who has been a landlord of multiple properties for 30 years, explained that many people are just plain irresponsible and can't be trusted. They claim their pets are house trained and very clean, but when they move out he is left with destroyed carpets and chewed up cabinets. He now has a no-pets policy. I am now moving and have to rent out my own house in a few months. I'm struggling with my decision on letting pets in my house. I know there are responsible owners out there, but I also cant afford to replace my carpets and cabinets if I get a bad pet owner. Jasper, I don't agree that owning pets is a socio-economic factor, etc. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and feel your pain. However, as a single person who will have to cover 2 mortgages until my house is rented, I have to look at what is best for me financially. You sound like a good cat owner. If you want to move to AZ and rent my house, let me know And as far as meeting the pet first, that isn't going to tell me if their owner will be responsibile enough to install a dog door, let them outside, or scoop their litter box on a regular basis. The problem is usually the human and not so much the pet!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
And as far as meeting the pet first, that isn't going to tell me if their owner will be responsibile enough to install a dog door, let them outside, or scoop their litter box on a regular basis. The problem is usually the human and not so much the pet!
How very true!

I've been looking around at apartments for future reference, and I've found some where I couldn't have even my fish tanks. I guess the worry is that they could possibly spring a leak (it does happen) and ruin the flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets