Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

i just priced k-9 advantix .... foxy, where do you get the syringe to divide a large ampoule to cover 2 small dogs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
any feed suply (tractor supply, co-op ect will have them, otherwise you can order them online (jefferspet.com carries them) syrnge size will depend on which size your planning on splitting, youll either need a 1cc for 2 smallest sizes, a 3cc for the 21-55lb dose or a 6cc for the biggest size they carry (cc=ml)

Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
Half the year in Alaska .. use nothing
When returning to Hawaii required to use Advantix (required to be applied by vet ) so once a year.
Rest of time use Bungalow Woof Rainforest Run shampoo. All organic with Eucalyptus and Lime. Coconut, shea butter and kukui nut which also helps with hot spots and reduces shedding. Knock on wood haven't gotten any fleas or ticks.

Also company donates to no kill rescue shelters with each purchase.
If you want to try Bubbleshackhawaii.com not sure if that will be deleted.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
any feed suply (tractor supply, co-op ect will have them, otherwise you can order them online (jefferspet.com carries them) syrnge size will depend on which size your planning on splitting, youll either need a 1cc for 2 smallest sizes, a 3cc for the 21-55lb dose or a 6cc for the biggest size they carry (cc=ml)
thank ya' ma'am......

Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Currently in San Jose, CA - formerly in San Francisco, CA. I've used a number of products for my 3 cats & 1 dog, mostly for flea control since we don't really have a tick problem around here.

Advantage II - Most recently used this, and it actually seemed to work!
Frontline Plus - Only worked 1-2 weeks at a time, max.
Capstar - Works immediately and effectively, but again has to be re-applied frequently (as it's designed).
Comfortis - Good stuff, but WAY too expensive for my menagerie & requires a vet Rx.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

something like this:

Easy Feeder Hand Feeding Syringe

or this?

Syringe with Catheter Tip

everything else had needles.... or do i want one with a needle?? would i break the needle off once i had it loaded??

sorry.... trying to figure this out....

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

both those work...
the syrnges with needles are usually lure lock or lure slip style, meaning the needle itself eithe rpulls or twists off the syrnge...
youll generally pay just as much for a lure lock (twist off needle part) as you would for a syrnge without a needle...as long as the needle is removable (look form soemthing labled lure lock or slip and those needles are removable) then those can eaisly be used.

the hand feeding syrnges tend to be much too large to accuratly dose...

i buy
Disposable Syringe/Needle Combo

i get the lure lock and just twist the needle off and toss it out (in its plastic cover)
i usually leave the needle on with the plastic cap in place...pull out the plunger, open th flea fluid and dump it into the srynge (the needle helps stop any from scaping prematurley lol) then gently insert the plunger back in, flip it upside down so the needle is pointed to the sky, twist the needle in its plastic cap off and gentlypush the plunger in untill the airbubble is gone.

i find the lure lock (twist off needles) easier to remove 1 handed than the slips...

when dosing with advantix its .4ml for up to 10lbs, 1ml for 11-25lbs, 2.5ml for 26-55lbs and 4ml for 55+lbs.
so if you have 4 dogs that fall 11-25lb dogs, a single tube of 55+lb dosage will do all 4 of them, or about 8 dogs in the 1-10lb range lol

Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 AM

thanks!!

i have 2 in the 11 - 25 lb range and 2 in the 55 lb + range.....

now.... i have another question for you.... roxie is chewing herself almost raw on her back by her tail..... i have been treating her for 3 days now with benedryl tablets and neosporin on the irritated area..... thinking i am going to switch to a hyrdocortisone cream.....

what say ye' wise foxy??

Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Ann Arbor, MI
Revolution - half the year (summer)
Have never had a problem with fleas.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM

late, id definatly switch to hydrocortisone, an oatmeal bath might also be beneficial,
to make an oatmeal bath blend 1/2-1 cup of dry oats (instant unflavored oatmeal, quick aots ect will ALL work) in a food processor until its a fine powder...
run a bath (or sink for the little guys lol) of "hot" water (you want it dog frinedly hot so test as you would for a baby) as the water is running pour in the oat powder mixing with your hand...
dog goes in make sure to pour the oat water over the dog, even better if you can get them in a down so the itchy area is completly submerged and keep them soaking for as long as possible (15-20 mins is ideal) if you cant get the area submerged simply keep pouring the oatmeal water over the area...
dont rinse simply pat dry after the bath.ive also had good luck with oatmeal paste, same method only you mix the oats with just enough water to turn it into a goopy paste...glob it onto the area (make a little extra cause most dogs enjoy eating this one lol) and let it sit for as long as possible. rinse in COOL water (cool water helps sooth) and pat dry.

does she currently have fleas? if so a bath in dawn will kill any on her (wont keep them off but will kill the ones on the dog pretty instantly)
if she doesnt currently have fleas it could still be a flea allergy, try, after baths spritzing her with a lavender, peppermint or lemon scented spray (even scented dryersheets will work in a pinch) it wont keep them all off but it would help repell them.

if not food allergies are another common cause for severe itching on the butt especially around the base of the tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets