Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

after my current bttle with fleas and producst not being effective i thought this actually might be a great idea for a thread that could potentially be stickied...

where are you (not nessicaly town, but county and state)
what products do you currently use, are they working
what products have you used in the past and why did you stop using them?

i think this would make it alot easier and save ALOT of people time and money and annoyance, if they could take a quick look and see what others in the area are using and if its working well for them.

---------------------------

Connecticut (fairfield county)
Dogs:
Frontline plus (friponil), Not working
Pet Armor Plus (Generic frontline (friponil)), Not Working
K9 Advantix, Seems to work well

Cats:
Frontline Plue, Not working
Advantage, Works for fleas but offers no tick prevention.

---------------------------

Tennessee (McNairy county)
Dogs:
Pet Armor Plus, NOT working
going to try K9 Advantix

Cats:
Pet Armor Plus, NOT working
going to try Advantage II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Far southern suburb of St. Louis, Missouri

Frontline Plus and PetArmor Plus still working well.... particularly considering where the dogs are walked and the fact that my backyard backs up to pretty dense woods.....

BUT, i cross my fingers every time i buy it that it continues to work well, because i have been hearing for a couple of years now that it is losing its effectiveness.....

Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
13 veiws and only 1 reply?! come on folks it takes 5 mins...
just let us know what your using and if your happy with it...itll be a huge help for everyone to have a clue as to what products to buy if there moving, new to an area ect.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM

welp ... i found a flea on roxie this morning.... .....

to be fair, the last time i applied the pet armor was October 11.... I don't dose them in the cold winter months..... AND i have a new foster fella in my house.....

i was out of small dog size, so had to run to walmart for more.... all 4 dogs were dosed as of about 9 this morning.... will report back as events warrant.....

Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
South West Missouri
Dogs- Frontline NOT working
First shield Works great (bought at Banfield in petsmart)

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM

upon close examination this morning.... no more fleas on roxie and with a more cursory examination none found on dave or chico-the-foster-fella.... bailey's fur is so dense, i have not checked her, but she has not seemed particularly itchy lately....

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
We've always used Advantage (?) on our (strictly indoor) cats. They have never actaully had fleas though..... we're a military family (moved 9 times in 15 years) and we've always put them on it for a few months each time we move.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Houston, TX. I haven't had a flea problem since the late nineties, which is the last time I had cats. My concern has been ticks in more recent years.

Frontline: Not working well. Must treat every two weeks or it doesn't seem to bother the ticks.

Advantix: Not working at all.

Revolution: Vet doesn't recommend for ticks, apparently works great on everything else.

Scalibor Collar: GREAT for ticks and mosquitoes, apparently ineffective against fleas (I have no first-hand knowledge).

Bronco Equine Fly Spray: Pyrethroid spray with piperonyl butoxide. Effective, affordable spot treatment before the dog goes into known tick habitat. Also effective against fleas.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Nothing as it is too cold here for fleas to be a problem. Haven't seen one in 10.5 yrs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
I'm in Central FL and when it gets dry, they get bad. I set off Hot Shot Bed Bug and Flea foggers and put a liitle bit of dish soap in saucers and leave them under nightlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets