U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
i bleive in terms fo shipping they can only be shiped via air or via ground transport through specilized carriers....
i dont knwo how much it costs but i do know its not "cheap" however if your looking for something specific, concerned about getting good lines ect it might be worth it to get exactly wht your looking for.

The Ratster-Directory of rat and mouse breeders. (http://ratster.com/breederlinks.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM

509 posts, read 986,768 times
Thanks... I've been looking at breeders off of the AFRMA site. All I've looked at so far will only ship by airlines, about $200 + vet costs + crating costs, which is a bit much for me... moot point anyways, because I'd have to travel pretty far to get to any of the airlines they list & travel is my road block in the first place, lol. On top of that, none will ship a single rat. Arg. I did find several breeders in WY off of the AFRMA site, but so far it looks like they're no longer in business. Ah well. I'll keep looking & keep emailing. Who would have thought it would be this difficult to locate a ratty, lol!!

Just had a thought, I am going to contact my local 4-H office and see if they can help put me in touch with a local source or someone who could transport... I seem to remember seeing that they had a "pocket pet" 4-H group in their summer flyer, with a photo of a girl with a rat on her shoulder.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM

42,438 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Why can't you buy one in Billings under the premise that it's pet food? You wont' be breaking the law since you won't be owning a pet rat in Billings because you don't live there!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 PM

Hopes, that's actually what I have decided I am going to do. There are no rescues or breeders anywhere near me, and I cannot justify the shipping, either the costs or the amount of time it will take (4-6 months to get everything in order). Some day, when I have a vehicle that is better suited to highway travel, I will find a breeder I like and take a nice road trip.

My original post was more of a rant for what I see as probably the dumbest animal rule I have ever come across.

In fact, the more I've been thinking about it, the angrier I am about it.

Apparently it's perfectly fine to own a rat if you intend to whack it on the head hard enough to give it brain damage, and then watch it being eaten alive. However, if you take that same rat and give it a name, food, water, and a comfy cage, you become a criminal. It blows my mind.

I don't think it would anger me as much if rats were completely outlawed. It would still be baffling, but not angering. I cannot think of any justifiable reason why they could say it's OK to have rats as snake food, but not as pets. They can't possibly claim "health risks" as the reason, because rats are still being sold in pet stores, people are still buying them and bringing them into their homes. I just don't understand.

Now, I love reptiles as well as rats, though I've never owned anything large enough to eats rats or mice. I know that snakes eating rodents is the natural way of things, and I accept that. Just wanted to make it clear that that's not my issue with this law.

After the holidays, I plan to research this further. I want to contact the local Billings government and find out their reasons for this law. And I'd like to pursue getting the law changed, if I can.

While looking around on line in the past few days, I read an article dated back in...2003 I believe it was, about a US war veteran in Billings refusing to give up his beloved pet rats. In the end of a stand off, he was tear gassed and the rats were removed and destroyed. I can't imagine loosing any of my pets in that way... especially for such a bass ackwards reason.

I just do not understand the line of reasoning behind this law.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM

2 new ratties are on their way home from Billings as we speak. I will post photos tomorrow. I don't like to lie. But. I did.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 4,807,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
2 new ratties are on their way home from Billings as we speak. I will post photos tomorrow. I don't like to lie. But. I did.

Gonna hold you to those photos!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 AM

I absolutly will post them tomorrow. The ratties are here now and I couldn't have asked for a nicer pair. One is a beautiful black & white female hoodie, with a full hood and nice solid back stripe. The male is a cute little berkshire.

Dusk (my adult male) took an instant liking to the little baby male. I was worried, because I always have herd that two males are hard to introduce. They've already been sharing the food, water & bedbox just fine, even tumbling with eachother & snuggling.

My adult females are not being as accepting of the female baby, I think it's going to take a bit of time with them. I wasn't planning to get another female... but...

The babies arrived very clean and healthy. I had read some good reviews about the shop's condition, and the health of these little guys shows it. No resp. distress, clean silky fur, bright eyes, and very spunky. Friendly and social, too. Genetic health is another matter and only time will tell.

All in all not bad for being snake snacks. And most importantly, Dusk is acting like his old self again He seems very content with his new buddy.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 AM

16,272 posts, read 29,836,920 times
Glad to hear it! Hope your group continues to bond and be in good health.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM

42,438 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Gotta do what ya gotta do! You saved two lives in the process!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
agreeds, and seriously good luck on the fight to figure out why and change the rule...
i dont get it either...

but it might have something to do with people releasing pet rats...
there was a situation in CT a few year back when someone dumped ALOT (i think it was close to 100) domesticated rats (they were color/patterned so it was sssumed to be a pet breeder or someone who got in seriously over thier heads) by the river...seriously screwed with some wildlife anamgnt areas and caused all kinds of problems...
mabe there just worried about escapage?

it would drive me batty too though, rattie make amazing pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets