U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM

509 posts, read 986,768 times
Angry So it's illegal to own pet rats in Billings MT

I'm looking to add a new ratty to my home, however the nearest place I can get a new addition is about two hours away in Billings MT. I'm in the boonies pretty much, no good breeders around here (that I've been able to find) and our towns pet store was shut down (thank god). I just popped on line to check some options in Billings, to see if I could find any breeders or stores, and I was shocked to find that it is against the law to own pet rats in Billings MT... if it's discovered that you have a pet rat it will be confiscated & you will be fined $300??!! However it's perfectly fine to buy/sell/own rats if they're intended to be snake food.

I just found this to be utterly bazaar. Wacky. It blows my mind why any place would discriminate against... rats. Ticks me off enough that so many towns are starting to regulate dog breeds. But seriously, Rats???!!!

Sorry, just had to vent. If anyone knows of a breeder in northern WY, send me a PM. I have a lonely little guy that needs a buddy. My ratties have a large enclosure & are quite spoiled
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 PM

14,072 posts, read 9,747,045 times
There was only one pet store in Sheridan? And it shut down? Why is that a good thing?

Sheridan is currently at the top of our list of places to move when we're ready to leave Las Vegas, so it'd be handy to know what's up with the pet store situation over there.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,815,916 times
Have you checked the humane societies in that area? Many humane societies have rats and other small animals looking for homes. I don't believe the one in Cody does, however.

I'm glad to hear the pet store is gone if they sold animals.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM

14,072 posts, read 9,747,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm glad to hear the pet store is gone if they sold animals.
What's wrong with a pet store selling animals? Isn't that what a pet store does? And if no stores sold pets, where would you get one, and how would there be enough demand to keep a supply-only store open, since the number of pets kept would be dramatically lower?

I'm just a little confused. I've seen people that have some moral objection to animals being sold, and if that's you, that's all well and good, but is that the prevailing opinion up in the Sheridan area, or in Wyoming in general? And how do you reconcile that position with the large amount of cattle/buffalo ranching in the state?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Swagger, I am not opposed to all pet stores. I know some folks are.

The pet store in Sheridan changed ownership a while back. The new owner ran it to the ground. After my last visit in there (last year about this time) I reported them to our animal control. Many other people also reported them. The animals were seriously neglected!!!! No food, no water, overcrowding, piles of feces. It was horrible, and it's a very good thing they shut down. How anyone could allow animals to live in those conditions is beyond me and the lady who owned it belongs behind bars in my opinion.

And yes, it has put pet owners here in a pinch. Many specialty items for pets can now only be bought online (Wal-mart's selection is limited). And good luck if you are looking to get a pocket pet such as a hampster, rat, bunny, or ferret. There is no local place to get one (that I know of). Our shelter very rarely has these types of animals. As for the folks with reptiles... many people have been forced to rehome snakes and other herps because there is no local source of feeders, it's a 1/12 to 2 hour drive in any direction and that's not always an option in the winter. The Co-op dose sell crickets, but they are very pricy and many reptiles need larger food anyways.

Happy in WY, I need a very specific age & sex of ratty, probably will not have luck with the shelter since they almost never have rats. I need a baby male rat, young enough that I can smoothly introduce him to my other male without territory issues.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm just a little confused. I've seen people that have some moral objection to animals being sold, and if that's you, that's all well and good, but is that the prevailing opinion up in the Sheridan area, or in Wyoming in general? And how do you reconcile that position with the large amount of cattle/buffalo ranching in the state?
No, not really. I personally don't know anyone who is against animals being bought and sold as pets alltogether. You'll find a range of opinionons on the subject here I'm sure, just like anywhere, but when it comes down to it this area is big on hunting & trapping, livestock ranching & animal husbandry, ect.

Personally I enjoyed trips to the pet store before it changed hands. The old owners took excellent care of the animals and educated buyers about proper care & needs. They also worked with our local shelter to find homes for rescued cats & dogs.

We have an excellent shelter here, low kill (they only euth animals that are aggressive or medically unadoptable). They have a very nice facility with grassy dog runs & networks of walking paths as well as play/enrichment rooms for the kitties.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,815,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Happy in WY, I need a very specific age & sex of ratty, probably will not have luck with the shelter since they almost never have rats. I need a baby male rat, young enough that I can smoothly introduce him to my other male without territory issues.
I searched under "rat rescue" and found a number of websites. There are none in the area but it may be an idea to contact several to find out if they know of someone in this area. I found this club as well.

RMCA: About the RMCA

I'm sure that the right pal for your ratty is out there.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks, I will take a look! That's the problem with being out here (though I love WY) there's just not as much anything in the area, ya know? Lol.

My ratty Dusk's brother/cagemate died after a rough battle with illness. Dusk's been kinda depressed ever since. I have two girl ratties as well, but I do not want to breed. Too risky IMO & they're not quality breeding material anyways, as far as their medical history. I've thought about getting Dusk neutered so he can chill with the girls, but again I feel it's too risky based on the medical issues in his line, coupled with the cost & his age.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM

6,067 posts, read 8,679,086 times
also keep in mind many ratty breeders will ship...so dont limit your search by location if your truly serious about getting a ratty frm good bloodlines

Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM

I didn't know that Foxy! I will keep that in mind for sure. That would really open up alot of options for me. How do they ship them? I would think that it would be pretty risky...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets