Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should PETA extremists be allowed to have pets and make them vegans?
Yes 0 0%
No 17 100.00%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Awhile ago I signed a petition to stop the skinning of live animals for fur in China. Now I'm bombarded with mail from PETA, often trying to convince me to turn vegan. I think it's possible for people to be vegetarian and maybe even vegan and still be healthy. But suggesting carnivorous pets should be vegan? Even with supplements, a cat's digestive system was not designed to take plant matter!

Vegetarian Cats and Dogs | PETA.org

I don't know about the claim about the 27 year old border collie...either way I'm not sure that dog was very happy. I'm a little suspicious...

Anyway, should die-hard PETA radicals be even allowed to keep pets? Is feeding your cat a vegan only diet tantamount to animal abuse?

What's next, PETA intervening in the wild, trying to stop tigers from eating meat? Honestly, as a conservation-minded person who has had dogs most of my life, I find this extremist, and imposing our values on your pets, as we do on our children.

Also, do you feel anyone who would feed their dog/cat only vegetables should be allowed to have them as pets? I say no, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Cats are obligate carnivores and should never, ever be fed a vegan diet. It's pretty doubtful most dogs could thrive on it either. There is something seriously wrong with the people who run PETA, and not just because of that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
personaly i feel trying to feed any dog or cat a vegan diet is abuse...its 100% unnatural for their bodies and would be like forcing a cow to eat lamb...
oh wait we did that and had a mass outbreak of mad cows disese...

if a human wants to be a vegan/vegitarian ect thats their choice...forcing that diet on a carnivore...well, i do think its abuse.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The USDA placed PETA on the terror watch list as a Dometsic Terrorist Group several years back.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Me thinks some of these PETA people need to watch The Lion King or a real "circle of life" film.

Humans(we be animals) have evolved into OMNIVORES, some animals are Carnivores and some Herbivores, some animals have developed into situational Omnivores but it is NOT a natural diet for them and can cause health problems, this is why most Racoons you see around cities are so fat and lumber around.

EVERYTHING on this planet eats something else, sometimes that something is a plant, sometimes it is another animal.

Maybe someone should tell them about all the little creatures that crawl around them and in their bed and they KILL every time they do laundry or take a shower.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 AM

49 posts, read 84,814 times
I have a good solution -- feed PETA members to the animals! It's a two birds one stone solution. The animals would be happy to have their meat, and everyone else would be happy to have no PETA.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petasus View Post
I have a good solution -- feed PETA members to the animals! It's a two birds one stone solution. The animals would be happy to have their meat, and everyone else would be happy to have no PETA.
Lol someone on a blog about the subject said the exact same thing.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Look, I love animals; I believe in humane animal farming practices and don't support gratuitous testing on animals. PETA, however, takes the issue of animal rights to the point of absurdity. Animals aren't people who look different; they are animals and have different needs. Some PETA members even view having companion animals as some sort of slavery.

I recall reading some articles about PETA and some of its members a wile back, and it really turned me off to the organization. There was one woman on the board at PETA, who also headed an organization called United Poultry Concerns. She compared Thanksgiving dinner to the Holocaust (or something like that) and had all these chickens running around and crapping all over her house. Not surprisingly, her husband ended up leaving her.

Because of things like that, it's hard to take PETA seriously.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Look, I love animals; I believe in humane animal farming practices and don't support gratuitous testing on animals. PETA, however, takes the issue of animal rights to the point of absurdity. Animals aren't people who look different; they are animals and have different needs. Some PETA members even view having companion animals as some sort of slavery.

I recall reading some articles about PETA and some of its members a wile back, and it really turned me off to the organization. There was one woman on the board at PETA, who also headed an organization called United Poultry Concerns. She compared Thanksgiving dinner to the Holocaust (or something like that) and had all these chickens running around and crapping all over her house. Not surprisingly, her husband ended up leaving her.

Because of things like that, it's hard to take PETA seriously.
Obviously if not for meat or eggs those chickens wouldn't be here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets