Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,284,167 times

Advertisements

Has anyone use PetMeds for their pet needs?

I remember when the site first took off and thought it was good idea but how useful is it for the pet that just had a recent accident or boo boo?
It seems to me it would be good for those meds that they need on a regular basis.

What have you order and is there any other sites that you have used for your pet meds?

How come there is no pet pharmacy like Walgreens or why cannot regular pharmacies sell pet meds?....

just cuirous

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,206,317 times
I'm skeptical of using them as I've never investigated them enough to know just where they get their meds. Are they made in the US or where?

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,215,890 times
I use a place out of Australia for my flea/tick and HW meds - my husband is a pharmacist and has checked out all the ingredients...they just don't require a Rx for them. petshed.com

I don't want to burst your bubble - but if your vet will write the Rx, your human pharmacy will fill it if they have the equivalent - like penicillin, clindamycin, etc. It's usually MUCH cheaper, too, than buying them from the vet (sorry to all the veterinarians)...every one of my dogs has a pharmacy file at Kmart. Because we have so many dogs, my vet will usually write me for #60 or #100 at a time and we just keep extra on hand. Beware, though, many vet meds don't really have a human equivalent....but ask your vet. They shouldn't have a problem with this, or maybe I've just got a great vet. I could have gone broke in rescue paying for meds but for his willingness to go the extra mile.

Oh....and pharmacies don't handle vet grade meds because it's a whole different set of compounding rules. Most people want to buy their prescription meds from the vet - either that, or they don't know they have a choice. As far as heartworm meds go, one reason vets keep control of those is that they (hopefully) are running a HW check on your dog prior to dispensing it for 6 months or a year or however you buy it. Even on monthly prevention, it CAN happen.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 PM

673 posts, read 3,138,304 times
The only thing I have used is 1800 Pet Meds for things like Heartworm meds and flea/tick meds. They always have worked out for me but I've never had to get any other 'real' prescriptions. Its been years now but my dog did get bronchitis once but we got his meds from the vet. It was alot more urgent as well.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,549,374 times
I searched online for my dog's heartworm medicine (Interceptor) and found the prices were drastically cheaper than my vet charges. But the online sites charge $5-$9 shipping. When I told my vet that I was going to buy the heartworm medicine online, they said to bring in proof of the online price and they might be able to match it. My dog's annual exam, shots, heartworm test, etc was last Friday. By bringing in two online quotes, they discounted the heartworm med by $20....which turned out to be cheaper than ordering online and paying shipping. Maybe your vet might offer something similar for some of your pets meds.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM

525 posts, read 2,346,344 times
I use them, diabetic cat and liver failure dog-monthly meds add up

I have never had a problem, my cost is enough to get free shipping always, and with every order you get 10% off the next one, which with my cost really HELPS. I usually get the meds 2 day after order, which also really helps. Also, I live in a rural area, so availability is iffy, and vet's prices are higher than elsewhere, and they don't stock anything. So, it works great for me

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM

181 posts, read 1,074,708 times
Pet Health Pharmacy. 1-800 742-0516
I get my dog's valley fever medicine there. (They are the cheapest for it in the nation I think.) The are located in Youngtown Az. I'm lucky enough to live 4 miles away, but they do send out prescriptions through the mail for $4 extra.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,472 times
try equine mega store. does not require script

Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Has anyone use PetMeds for their pet needs?

I remember when the site first took off and thought it was good idea but how useful is it for the pet that just had a recent accident or boo boo?
It seems to me it would be good for those meds that they need on a regular basis.

What have you order and is there any other sites that you have used for your pet meds?

How come there is no pet pharmacy like Walgreens or why cannot regular pharmacies sell pet meds?....

just cuirous

thanks

Take a look at EntirelyPets.com - Discount Pet Meds Pet Supplies Plus Pet Medicine Pet Medications They are excellent to deal with and have great prices on most items.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,638,173 times
i have used healty pets.com and dr foster, for heartworm, and other meds. I found dr foster to be great, and health pets.com for frontline also good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets