U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Taxachusetts
13,397 posts, read 7,978,727 times
Reputation: 10983

Advertisements

I adopted a hybrid many years ago. At least I THINK she was hybrid. She looked exactly like some breed of wolf I have seen on tv. In all the years I had her, she only did two "wolf" things. She lunged at the baby, she being "first born" of the pack, the baby second. My then husband picked her up and flung her against a wall and after that, Lady was very protective of my daughter. Years later, Lady jumped on the back of my date for the evening but did not bite. Lady could track me down for miles when I left her out and went out myself. Even after I had gotten a car! She loved to howl. She never barked. She howled. Even her greeting was "Ah woo-woo-woo". She was the best damned "dog" I ever had until I rescued my American Eskimo 3 years ago. I'll never forget her.

That being said, no, I do not think wolves/hybrids make a good "pet" for most people. As someone said earlier, you want a wolf, get a husky and that's dicey too. I was just blessed and lucky that I got a good girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Texas
27 posts, read 22,663 times
Reputation: 84
I have a wolf-border collie hybrid. Rescued him from a miserable life chained to a tree with no shelter in February 2004. I had no experience with wolves or hybrids. Had never heard of such a thing. His owner was a 21 yr old who thought it was "cool" but when the rent house he lived in burned down in a fire, he & his mother moved across the street to another rent house that had no fenced yard and chained him to the tree of the yard of burned house. It was terribly cold, he was in melting ice and broken glass, feces, filth he could not get away from. The owner watched my coworker and I bring dogfood on our lunch breaks and my sister and I after work in the evenings from his window for ~ 6 weeks before allowing me to take him into a nice fenced in yard. The owner never came back for him. I searched wolf hybrid sanctuaries in Utah, Colorado, and new Mexico. All were full capacity and unable to help.
He is a good pet. He likes being petted, pampered, playing with children, going for rides, being groomed. I am not saying it has been easy. He is BIG and does not like the hot weather at all. He is mostly outdoors except for in summer when he is inside until it cools down at night. He gets along very well with two of my girl dogs who want to be outside all the time. He is neutered. He sits on the deck when lawn man comes to mow. The new lawn man and wife love to pet him and worry about my gentle yellow lab mix girl more because she barks and acts more like a guard dog!
I am not saying a wolf or wolf hybrid is for everyone. Fortunately my situation has worked out okay. I know he would do better in cooler climate, but he behaves well inside and let's me know when he needs to go outside. My neighbors have never voiced concern and I live in town in a nice, quiet, mostly retired neighborhood. He is friendly to strangers who approach, probably more so than my "dog-dogs" because they bark and react to everything like they need to protect the property. He really only howls at ambulance sirens. Never at people walking, jogging even with their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Taxachusetts
13,397 posts, read 7,978,727 times
Reputation: 10983
Kudos to you, animallover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
 
13,497 posts, read 12,064,908 times
Reputation: 7702

DOG WHISPERER Cesar Millan on WOLF-DOG Hybrids (Oct. 2010) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Taxachusetts
13,397 posts, read 7,978,727 times
Reputation: 10983
Good link, creme. That made me miss my Lady so much. I realize now how lucky I was to have stumbled upon such a good wolf or hybrid and understand why and how she was able to track me so well. She was the best but I now also understand why they are not a good choice to make and feel bad for those who end up in rescues or being PTS. I didn't know there were so many out there! I've never seen another "dog" like my Lady again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Texas
28,114 posts, read 23,629,436 times
Reputation: 33685
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumonht1990 View Post
Do you think an wolf to be a safe pet? I heard some one like it as pet and even allow them in their bedroom!
No. It has been established that they make awful pets.

Although, if domestication is the issue, one wonders why people keep snakes as pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
 
13,497 posts, read 12,064,908 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. It has been established that they make awful pets.

Although, if domestication is the issue, one wonders why people keep snakes as pets.

what bothers me is why in the world don't they outlaw exotic animals for pets. Especially with the problems they have caused in the past and even now, for instance the snake problem in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Taxachusetts
13,397 posts, read 7,978,727 times
Reputation: 10983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what bothers me is why in the world don't they outlaw exotic animals for pets. Especially with the problems they have caused in the past and even now, for instance the snake problem in Florida.
I do believe each state has it's own exotic pet laws, creme. In Mass. it's against the law to own an alligator. Our neighboring state, Rhode Island, sells them, all perfectly legal! There is no uniformity in state laws. Also, some people just love to break the laws and have what is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM
 
13,497 posts, read 12,064,908 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I do believe each state has it's own exotic pet laws, creme. In Mass. it's against the law to own an alligator. Our neighboring state, Rhode Island, sells them, all perfectly legal! There is no uniformity in state laws. Also, some people just love to break the laws and have what is illegal.
I know, but have Americans gotten stupid, I mean think about it....and all the problems those large snakes down in Florida are going to create???? How bout that monkey, that was a pet all it's life, and knew the women, whose face it tore off? Don't people learn? There is a program on TV, about people who own these exotic pets, and how those pets either killed them or a neighbor. And how bout these people who are able to purchase these little monkeys and they put diapers and clothes on them?????? That is insane? What could they be thinking? Listen, I love my dog, and all the dogs and horses I've had in my lifetime...but to put clothes on them....???? Or how bout people that tell perfect strangers, "oh come on in, my dog never bites?" Or how bout people that use those retractable leashes....and I've complained about this before. I take my dog to the vet, he is sick, throwing up, and other things, don't know what he has, and these stupid people come in with they're dogs on retractable leashes and let them walk up to my dog and there is a sign, "PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOG UNDER CONTROL!" I become so irritated, and pull my dog away, and they still don't get it, and become angry at me, that particular time, it happened three times during our vet visit in the wait room, so I finally said in a very angry tone..."excuse me, my dog is sick, very sick and I don't know what he has, do you want your dog to get it?" I mean really, people are incredibly stupid and have lost the concept to be considerate. You should see the women behind the desk roll their eyes at this. I fianlly said something to the vet...when the vet said, there is a sign out there but people still insist on putting their dogs on those retractable leashes. So I said, then, why don't you put up a sign that reads, "NO RETRACTIBLE LEASHES WHAT SO EVER!" He said, that is a great idea. So, I avoid taking my dog to the vet as much as possible...he's scared to death, he ignores other dogs, he is shaking all over, and that would be the perfect time, that he feels restricted and helpless so he just may bite. And then, the stupid woman who has her dog on a retractible leash, who allowed her dog to walk up to mine, will sue me? God figure.?

But I'm sorry, putting clothes on any animal is insane. I can understand a coat in the winter, on a small fragile dog, but skirts, and jackets on a wild animal, a monkey? Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Taxachusetts
13,397 posts, read 7,978,727 times
Reputation: 10983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I know, but have Americans gotten stupid, I mean think about it....and all the problems those large snakes down in Florida are going to create???? How bout that monkey, that was a pet all it's life, and knew the women, whose face it tore off? Don't people learn? There is a program on TV, about people who own these exotic pets, and how those pets either killed them or a neighbor. And how bout these people who are able to purchase these little monkeys and they put diapers and clothes on them?????? That is insane? What could they be thinking? Listen, I love my dog, and all the dogs and horses I've had in my lifetime...but to put clothes on them....???? Or how bout people that tell perfect strangers, "oh come on in, my dog never bites?" Or how bout people that use those retractable leashes....and I've complained about this before. I take my dog to the vet, he is sick, throwing up, and other things, don't know what he has, and these stupid people come in with they're dogs on retractable leashes and let them walk up to my dog and there is a sign, "PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOG UNDER CONTROL!" I become so irritated, and pull my dog away, and they still don't get it, and become angry at me, that particular time, it happened three times during our vet visit in the wait room, so I finally said in a very angry tone..."excuse me, my dog is sick, very sick and I don't know what he has, do you want your dog to get it?" I mean really, people are incredibly stupid and have lost the concept to be considerate. You should see the women behind the desk roll their eyes at this. I fianlly said something to the vet...when the vet said, there is a sign out there but people still insist on putting their dogs on those retractable leashes. So I said, then, why don't you put up a sign that reads, "NO RETRACTIBLE LEASHES WHAT SO EVER!" He said, that is a great idea. So, I avoid taking my dog to the vet as much as possible...he's scared to death, he ignores other dogs, he is shaking all over, and that would be the perfect time, that he feels restricted and helpless so he just may bite. And then, the stupid woman who has her dog on a retractible leash, who allowed her dog to walk up to mine, will sue me? God figure.?

But I'm sorry, putting clothes on any animal is insane. I can understand a coat in the winter, on a small fragile dog, but skirts, and jackets on a wild animal, a monkey? Pathetic.
Those retractable leashes also have a lock on them to keep the leash at a specific length. I know, I use one all the time for my dog. That's like when I take Mickey to PetSmart. Most all people let their dogs "roam" at full leash length and here I am making Mickey stay by my side.

Dressing up a dog is pretty foolish too, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top