Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm hoping everyone is noting that the reason it's being recalled, is because 14 *people* have gotten sick handling the food. There have been no reports as of yet, of ANY animals getting sick from it.

So all the folks who have animals getting sick, who have been eating this food - it is probably NOT the food that got your pet sick. You shouldn't make that assumption. If you dismiss your pet's illness as recalled food-related, in this situation, then you could be contributing to your pet's illness (since something -else- *is* getting your animal sick).

If your pet is sick, and has been eating any of these recalled foods, you need to get your pet checked by a vet even if your pet isn't sick anymore. It seems the food isn't causing the sickness. Cats and dogs are resistant to salmonella.

And for us humans who are clearly not resistant to salmonella, it's a harsh reminder to us all to wash our hands after handling our pets' food, even the dry food.
Especially dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Not really. Raw food is -especially- risky, and raw food is not dry. All pet food containing meats, poultry, even vegetables is risky and in fact, you really should wash your hands before -and- after touching it - before, for the pet's sake, and after, for your own sake.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Actually, as a human being, one should be thoroughly washing their hands fairly frequently anyway. Before meals, after using the restroom, after being out in the world touching various things (and other people) and then coming home. Food handling of any kind. Washing hands is the #1 way to avoid getting sick, spreading illness, etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Update from the Diamond recall site. It's in response to a FOX news program about the recall. Apparently, FOX didn't do their homework OR intentionally misled the public (while that doesn't surprise me, let's focus more on the facts rather than the hyperbole):

Diamond Pet Foods Responds to Inaccuracies in FOX News Report » Diamond Pet Recall |

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
The recall was expanded again tonight. Diamond Pet Foods : Information

Production codes can be found at the link.

Quote:
Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula samples, 6 pound and 18 pound bag sizes, manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011, have been added to the limited voluntary recall,

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post

Thank you!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post

With this addition to the list, a second Diamond plant in Missouri is now involved.

TruthaboutPetFood.com

Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
With this addition to the list, a second Diamond plant in Missouri is now involved.
Yep. And with a second plant involved, I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more recalls coming soon.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
I received a letter from Diamond Pet Monday explaining the Kirkland dog food we use was recalled. I immediately took back the quantity we had on hand for a refund.
Here is my problem with how this was handled:
a) Slow response- Since we have 3 dogs the food that was likely part of the recall had long since been consumed
In all likely the bag we had on hand was not part of the recall, but we store the food in containers, so the bag is not kept. We had purchase a new bag the previous week and I had no idea what the date range was. .
b) noticed several weeks ago the food was not available at Costco. It was gone from the shelf, no notice, no price tag, just gone.

This is not the first time Diamond Pet products has had an issue with food quality. Needless to say I will avoid purchasing their brands and the brands that outsource to them.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
when I was at the PetBarn yesterday, they had a lot of Wellness cans on the shelf and I asked about the recall. She said that canned Wellness isn't made by Diamond and doesn't come from the same plant. She said she won't carry anything from Diamond as she doesn't trust them. But canned Wellness, she didn't feel, was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets