U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 PM

432 posts, read 1,240,488 times
Default moving cats and dogs cross-country

I'm asking this for my sister. What is th best way to move 4 cats and a dog 1,000 miles? Can you fly them? How much does that usually cost and is it safe?

Another idea she had was to tranquilize and drive them (and stay in a pet-friendly motel). Has anyone done this? Any tips on safely moving them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM

24 posts, read 93,941 times
We are getting ready to move two Goldens and two preschoolers cross-country. It sounds crazy but we figured a day of misery is better than four or five days of it. It will cost us $100 per dog to fly them. I don't think an airline will let one person fly five pets but you can check. I think the limit is two crates plus one checked bag but I could be wrong. If the cats are small you might be able to fly multiple pets per crate. I have a friend with two Maltese and they fly in one crate that goes under the seat. But it sounds like your sister's best bet is to drive them.

There are also pet transportation services that will transport pets for you. We looked into this but decided against it. We thought it would be more stressful for our already-stressed pets. We use tranqs to fly them but I don't think it would be necessary for driving them unless they are super stressed out.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 PM

157 posts, read 317,407 times
We drove 1200 miles with 10 dogs. We found it easier on them to drive straight through, stopping for quick meals and potty breaks.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,406,825 times
I actually just moved 4 cats and 1 dog over 1000 miles. First, I would never ever fly with an animal that needs to be "checked." It's too risky and I would never feel safe doing it. If it's a small dog that can fit under the seat in the plane with you, then that is an option. With this though, you need to consider that there is a 1 pet per person policy since the pet needs to go under the seat infront of you. So, if you have 4 cats and 1 small dog, you would need to have 5 people flying!
We did not use tranquilizers, but gave my dog dramamine (1/2 pill 1 time per day) becuase she gets carsick (and it made her drowsy) and gave the cats herbal "travel" drops that are suppose to calm them. We were concerned about side effects. If you do go for tranquilizers, make sure to do a "test run" with them. We let the dog ride in a seat (with plenty of blankets and stopped every 2 hours or so for potty breaks/drinks/food) and put all 4 cats together in a small feret crate where they could all lie down comfortably, have food, water, and litter. What we learned is that the cats felt better when they were togther and in a small, enclosed area (we first had them in our large dog crate and they FREAKED; they liked the small one better and we put a blanket over it so only 1 side was exposed). They also never used the litter box in the car (or really ate or drank). If you choose not to have these available, you are suppose to offer them drinks every 4 hours. They can go the car ride without eating.
We actually stopped for 2 nights. All red roof inns are pet friendly. Then, the cats could get out, eat/drink and rest.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! It wasn't fun, but they all made it safe and sound!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 16,607 times
I just drove 1,500 miles from Florida to move to NH with a dog and a bird a couple months ago. I much prefered the drive becasue I was able to tend to my animals needs much more, I was always worried that my dog might have to "go" midflight and if he went in his carrier it would be unpleasent for all onboard and I do not wanna be the one on CNN saying the flight was divereted because of a stench on board. I let my dog sit on my lap most of the drive and I set up a bed in his car seat. We stopped enough and gave him water only about an hour before the stops so we knew he'd need to pee at the rest areas so we wouldnt' have to stop again in a half hour.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 PM

432 posts, read 1,240,488 times
Thank you so much for the replies! I forwarded this to my sister and she has decided to drive with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets