U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM

49,286 posts, read 45,802,045 times
when you get your first SPCA visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my D's have earnt their OG's time and time again... a 2lb dog is no less of a dog than a 200lb dog...the human that owns it however...
Naw. It is a D
We also call them "Snacks" when talking to our dogs. But they do not know what we are saying. Howwever sometimes I think the snacks do. I think some of those Ds are pretty smart, sneaky little things. Nice thing is though instead of buying a crate, you can just use an old acquarium or a shoe box. Saves a lot of moeny.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
dont tell jasper that, according to my 5lb crestie, my 75lb mastif mix is the SNACK!...lol

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post

I figure as long as they are all getting attention and care, and I keep the house (relatively) clean, then it's not a big deal if I take on another?

"Hoarding" is only when people are taking on animals they can't care for, yes?
It sounds like you're far from being a hoarder.
I'll go one step further though and say that not just the animals needs have to be met but yours do too.
You should have a job and/or plenty in savings, no credit card debt and a roof over your head. If so, then you have my support for getting another pet.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:46 PM

7,661 posts, read 8,675,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You guys don't come CLOSE! Believe me! I consider my Mom a "cat hoarder"...but she takes excellent care of her cats....no feces...she has about 20 cat boxes lined up in her garage. Last count...70 cats. She has them fixed. She is a 503 c "feline rescue"....she rescues Ragdolls. So...she should re home the cats...wrong....she keeps them. Some she re homes....but her policies on ownership is Draconian....she turns people down for having kids...being a minority, having a job...being unemployed....whatever....
there is a woman in this area who runs a dog rescue/sanctuary and operates much the same as your mother... the dogs are all fed and receive excellent vet care.... but one woman trying to care for 65 dogs, pretty much on her own, is not a good combination.... she is not as strict as your mother is about adoptions, but every time we get one or two moved out through adoption, more come to take their places.... not a single one gets the time and attention a dog needs to be a good companion and i see signs of kennel stress in several of them.... so although their physical needs are being met, their mental and emotional needs are not.... and i count this woman as a hoarder.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluw View Post
As long as they are well cared for and receive enough personal attention they should be good. You know you have to many when you spend all your time cleaning and feeding. You don't want to neglect other aspects of pet ownership such as grooming, playing and giving individual attention. They want to be part of the pack, not a mere possession.
exactly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossconnie82 View Post
What about having so many kittens?
obvious photoshop......

i have four dogs and 1 cat and i know this is my limit..... all are well fed, well vetted and each gets a lot of individual attention....

Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
crittic perosnally i think the "no credit card Debt" part is a little ridiculous...
i purposely keep a small amount of debt/rolling cash on my credit card, a low balance being carried over is MUCH better for your credit score than a credit card being paid off in full every month...(with the exception of american express obviously.)

My credit card debt plays no part on my ability to care for my pets because i have ti properly budgeted and dont use said credit card as "free money"

Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,956,282 times
For myself the rule is 'however many I can be responsible for.' Not love....I think that's the mistake people make. You can love a whole lot of animals. Being responsible doesn't just mean however many I can afford while they're healthy, but making sure I had adequate savings for emergencies and illness. I'd rather have two cats and money in the bank than four and struggle if one needs medical care. Having that cushion is very important. There's also socialization and attention to consider, especially with dogs.

I do think there is a limit on the number that one person can truly be responsible for and make sure all needs are meet. I'm just not sure what that number is! We had a client at our hospital who had twenty-five cats and truly took excellent, excellent care of them. She was amazing and knew if one of those cats had a hair out of place. I've seen people struggle to care for one hamster. But certainly there is a tipping point that anyone can reach where things start to slip...the problem is that often times it happens so gradually the person doesn't notice until things are out of control. I'd rather not come anywhere near that point and just smother the ones I have with extra affection.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,360,335 times
Yep, I'd be in trouble too.

14 dogs (just had to put one down and one foster got adopted), 5 cats and 3 land tortoises (2 of them are over 100 pounds each and live indoors in the winter).

BUT our dogs (two of our kids move back so we've got a blended pet family) and our two cats are spayed and neutered and up to date with all vaccines. The tortoises that are old enough to breed have been moved to separate pens as much as we hated doing it to them, but last year or the year before Sherman got a nest dug, laid eggs and buried them before I realized what she was doing. Thankfully none hatched, but I wasn't about to risk that nightmare again.

IMO hoarding is when you have so many you can't feed or vet them properly or keep them on preventative medications to keep them healthy. As long as they're vetted, fed and have vet care and you can clean up after them, I say go for it!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 PM

18,868 posts, read 14,942,728 times
You know...I find it strange that the government puts laws on how many pets a person has...but no restrictions on how many kids a person can have...anyone else find that an oxymoron?

"A person is restricted to four animals in a home".....but they can have 20 kids!?!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,956,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You know...I find it strange that the government puts laws on how many pets a person has...but no restrictions on how many kids a person can have...anyone else find that an oxymoron?

"A person is restricted to four animals in a home".....but they can have 20 kids!?!
weird, isn't it? Plus limit laws have been proven time and again to raise the intake number at shelters. The reality is that most people don't keep large numbers of animals, and those that do should be judged on an individual basis. Many people CAN comfortably and responsibly handle more than 4 dogs or whatever arbitrary number is decided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets