U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 AM

4,895 posts, read 2,274,604 times
It should be up to the animals welfare, it they have enough space to move around and exercise, last night a man on telly had lizards of all sorts crawling round his small flat.. one was the length of his bath. this is just plain daft and shouldnt be allowed.. I can hear the neighbour screaming now when one escapes... just not on. then we have this crazy, who took his lizards out for walks on a lead. apart from other things of course.. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...izard-Man.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 AM

5,952 posts, read 10,329,603 times
With 7 dogs from 9 to 160 lbs., I'm hardly one to call too many...but the laws befuddle me. I supposedly can only have 4 dogs inside the city limits, unless they are under 6 months. Then I guess you can have as many as you want, and they suppose you will have pups out by that time. But in addition to the 4 dogs, I could be allowed 3 goats and up to 10 chickens. Or one cow, or one horse/pony/donkey. And still keep the dogs and chickens. Seriously? Goats in place of dogs? Well, whatever. It's a rural area. I had to get a kennel license to keep more than 4, but our AC doesn't really care. As long as the dogs are well cared for, don't cause a problem, and the neighbors are cool then they are fine also.

The only thing I would caution - a lesson I have learned in the last couple of years - don't put yourself in a position where anything could upset the economics or time constraints of having multiple pets. Last year I acquired the caretaker duties of my 80-year-old father. So far it isn't a huge problem, but yes - he does cut into the time with my dogs. Clearly, they don't have me as much during about 4 hours of the day I am caring for him. He's terrified of dogs so we don't do any mixing of the species in that regard.

The other thing is to be careful in this economic climate that you don't get too strung out. I had a great job that paid 6 figures. At 8:00 one morning I had the job - at 8:15, due to cutbacks, I didn't. No warning whatsoever, and I was a contract worker and self-employed so there was no severance package. Fortunately, spousal person has a six figure as well, but our income was cut in half in the blink of an eye. I just had a $900 surgery and vet bill for a dog who swallowed a ball, after 10 years of him never eating foreign objects. Make sure you can cover the unexpected without throwing your household into turmoil.

I had people tell me after I lost my job, and also after my father came to move across the street, that I needed to rid myself of some of the dogs and give myself some space. Sorry, I committed to these dogs long before anything went wonky...I just believe whoever is guiding the ship up there knows of my dedication and will make a way. All that being said, I'm sensible enough to know not to add to the herd. I consider this a lifelong obligation, duty, and honor; I believe in taking on a pet you need to be able to make that commitment for the rest of it's life, and only under the direst of circumstances should you consider giving one or more up. All I can think of is terminal illness, and then I have kids and friends who are equally committed to making sure my group have homes. Get a plan in place in case life throws you a big curve ball...other than that, if you can feed 'em, love 'em, provide for them, and they bring joy to your life, there's no limit to how many your heart can hold :-) You can't plan for everything - I can bear witness to that - but try to at least anticipate some changes and be prepared to make the adjustments to your budget or lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM

4,971 posts, read 2,822,641 times
I just saw Animal Hoarders this past weekend...what a scary show! I think you're fine though! I'm single and live alone and I have one small dog. I'd love to have another, so he wouldn't be alone when I'm at work, but I worry about over extending myself. One dog is expensive enough and I have a decent job. I think it's just something you have to be mindful of. People take in too many sometimes with good intentions, but they need to be reasonable. Good intentions don't mean much if you lack the time and funds to take good and proper care of the animals.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 12,325 times
If you are a hoarder then so am I!! I have 5 large dogs, I small one & 3 cats. If an animal needs a home and I can continue to provide good quality food, water, shelter, and vet care--I WON'T LOOK AWAY. I have been called a hoarder, crazy, etc...I DON'T CARE!! I provide love and a second chance for these precious babies that need someone to do the RIGHT thing, NOT the EASY thing. We spay/neuter right away, we have a cleaner home than most I have seen w/ no animals. Our babies do their business outside, and we keep that picked up. They are pampered!! If This is hoarding, then I am proud to be a hoarder

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM

393 posts, read 352,198 times
Not even close to being a hoarder. I have 4 dogs, 2 cats, 1 fish, and 1 horse. We will be adding a couple cows and chickens in the spring and probably another horse. Of course farm animals are so much different than house pets.

I would say my mom borders on being a horder. She has at least 15 cats and her house smells of urine and cat boxes. It is so gross that I refuse to ever spend the night in her house again. I love my mom and enjoy her company but that just grosses me out. I am a clean freak and my house is much cleaner and more organized than that.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,682,774 times
I think 5 animals (excluding fish) has been our highest at any time. (dogs and cats)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 7,768,934 times
i do think if you have to ask "do i have too many?" there might be a small part of you that knows your aproaching your max...

Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 AM

24,638 posts, read 26,475,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i do think if you have to ask "do i have too many?" there might be a small part of you that knows your aproaching your max...
Funny, I ask myself that question every time I get another snake... whoops.

(but it's just so EASY to make room/food for one more, ya know!)

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 7,768,934 times
you know what i mean though, right?!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM

78 posts, read 42,638 times
I have to move with 8 cats. I've never had this many furkids. I'm scared ****less I won't find a place. And if I do find a place.. I'm scared ****less something will happen where I'll have to move again because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets