Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times

Advertisements

Moved out to our current home and the family we rent from, who live behind us, had a fairly large amount of dogs and cats, mostly beagles. Very lovable animals and we got attached to them real quick. Close to a dozen of the beagles plus a few cats. Thing was, these people didnt believe in leashes or fences or anything else. Basic country redneck mentality of "well animals are suppose to run loose they can defend themselves and if they want to eat theyll come back". Well, all of those animals are dead now. All of the original ones from when we moved in, all of the puppies they managed to have (the last one disappeared 2 weeks ago and we assume was killed somehow), and 2/3 of the cats that were here have died. The biggest problem is that the people around here are big into hunting and they dont care what it is. If they see anything moving in the woods theyll shoot it. Turkey, deer, dogs, squirrels...you name it they shoot it. Plus all the coyote and ive even heard of there being wolves around here. People around here just dont care. You ask, what happened to this dog i havent seen it in awhile?" "Oh i dont know. havent seen it. oh well" Heck one dog not even a year old lost its eye due to running around loose in the woods at night and getting stabbed in the eye with a branch. Just ran straight into it. Regardless, its sad and infuriating to look back and realize that every single dog and almost all the cats are now gone because basically people just didnt care. I have to wonder why people even bother having pets. Sorry to rant but im just mad. Leash laws and other laws are there to protect your pets not just other humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Moved out to our current home and the family we rent from, who live behind us, had a fairly large amount of dogs and cats, mostly beagles. Very lovable animals and we got attached to them real quick. Close to a dozen of the beagles plus a few cats. Thing was, these people didnt believe in leashes or fences or anything else. Basic country redneck mentality of "well animals are suppose to run loose they can defend themselves and if they want to eat theyll come back". Well, all of those animals are dead now. All of the original ones from when we moved in, all of the puppies they managed to have (the last one disappeared 2 weeks ago and we assume was killed somehow), and 2/3 of the cats that were here have died. The biggest problem is that the people around here are big into hunting and they dont care what it is. If they see anything moving in the woods theyll shoot it. Turkey, deer, dogs, squirrels...you name it they shoot it. Plus all the coyote and ive even heard of there being wolves around here. People around here just dont care. You ask, what happened to this dog i havent seen it in awhile?" "Oh i dont know. havent seen it. oh well" Heck one dog not even a year old lost its eye due to running around loose in the woods at night and getting stabbed in the eye with a branch. Just ran straight into it. Regardless, its sad and infuriating to look back and realize that every single dog and almost all the cats are now gone because basically people just didnt care. I have to wonder why people even bother having pets. Sorry to rant but im just mad. Leash laws and other laws are there to protect your pets not just other humans.
I'm not familiar with domestic dog hunting, however, it's very common for loose dogs in rural areas to be shot while harrassing cows, killing chickens, running deer, etc. etc. and the solution to stray/feral dog populations out in the woods is usually a .223 (or similar). I would question whether or not the biggest problem is a culture of avid hunters or whether the biggest problem is your neighbor's apparent disregard for the safety of unsequestered dogs. A leash law isn't going to be a solution, particularly since it is already unlawful to allow your dogs to enter and depredate the property of another and it would be unenforceable.

Have you spoken to your neighbors about this?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Do you have a humane society around, an animal control officer?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Sorry to rant but im just mad. Leash laws and other laws are there to protect your pets not just other humans.
Ever watch Animal Planet? Our laws are a joke. Few people are punished for what they do to animals. Heck, even people who murder other people are get out in 10 years for "good behavior" after being given a life sentence. Our laws are there to shut people like us up, not to protect the animals. Politicians couldn't care less about the animals and from what I see here in TN, the Police are totally worthless where abuse and neglect is concerned. Nothing like you see in Dallis TX or other states. Animal Planet should do shows in places like where I live or where you live......

Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not familiar with domestic dog hunting, however, it's very common for loose dogs in rural areas to be shot while harrassing cows, killing chickens, running deer, etc. etc. and the solution to stray/feral dog populations out in the woods is usually a .223 (or similar). I would question whether or not the biggest problem is a culture of avid hunters or whether the biggest problem is your neighbor's apparent disregard for the safety of unsequestered dogs. A leash law isn't going to be a solution, particularly since it is already unlawful to allow your dogs to enter and depredate the property of another and it would be unenforceable.

Have you spoken to your neighbors about this?
im sorry but its my opinion that if you chain your dog up, put up a fence, keep the dog inside, or find something else other that letting your dogs run loosely around the neighborhood 24/7 then that reduces the chance of your dog being killed by other animals or people by a pretty high percentage.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you have a humane society around, an animal control officer?
yes we do but most people have learned to play the system. The owner gets a warning then secures the animal(s) for a week or 2 then they let the animal(s) loose again.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
im sorry but its my opinion that if you chain your dog up, put up a fence, keep the dog inside, or find something else other that letting your dogs run loosely around the neighborhood 24/7 then that reduces the chance of your dog being killed by other animals or people by a pretty high percentage.
That's actually exactly what I'm saying. People out in the country who care about their dogs will have then confined somehow.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Ever watch Animal Planet? Our laws are a joke. Few people are punished for what they do to animals. Heck, even people who murder other people are get out in 10 years for "good behavior" after being given a life sentence. Our laws are there to shut people like us up, not to protect the animals. Politicians couldn't care less about the animals and from what I see here in TN, the Police are totally worthless where abuse and neglect is concerned. Nothing like you see in Dallis TX or other states. Animal Planet should do shows in places like where I live or where you live......
They are a joke here too. I've been told that it is not against any law to keep a dog chained at an abandoned house, as long as someone stops by periodically to keep it alive with some feed and water. That's exactly what we witness every day. Another resident locks a toddler in a chain link dog kennel outside with the dog. Nothing wrong with that! And they wonder why people look the other way and don't get involved.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
People like that belong behind bars. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets