U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 AM

12,627 posts, read 18,143,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
thnycav, where are you located in the country? I currently have an F150 that works fine here in GA, however, I will be moving back to the NW so I was hoping those who live out there can tell me what they pull with.

I'll only be hauling a 2 horse trailer with one or two horses. Mostly one.
What type of a horse trailer is it what I mean by that is what size. The size of the horse trailer really does matter.
You need to know to factor in pulling capacity.
Along with the weight of the horses, feed, tack and anything else that will be in the trailer.
Pulling through the mountain you should not have a truck at or near Max pulling capacity to pull safely and with live cargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 6,569,179 times
I pull my steel 2Horse trailer thru the mountains with a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra.
The steel 4Horse with dressing room we pull with our one ton GMC Diesel or our Ford F350 Dually.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,824,914 times
My current trailer is a Gore 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room. Aluminum with steel frame it's about 3000lbs unloaded. As I said my 10 year old F150 hauls just fine here in NE GA however, we don't have the big MTs.

The New F150's seem to be close in frame and engine capacity as the old F250's.

Since I'll haul only for day trips on weekends I don't want to over buy. I don't forsee myself going long distances or way up in the MTs. Also, as I've aged I'm a real fair weather rider...LOL no cold or wet.

I'm just trying to see what other people are using in the area with 2 horse bumper pulls. And if an F250 is really neccessary.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:53 PM

68 posts, read 332,961 times
Quote:
What do you do with your TB GunGirl?
Nothing yet...he was a rescue...have had him for about 3 yrs now..and can not find anyone that will train him for a decent price...he is quite touchy..I think he was beat by a woman. He is just a big buddy we like to watch..I do want to get him trained though.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM

12,627 posts, read 18,143,599 times
Returningwest:
I would say that would put you about 5000 lbs or so depending on the weight of your horses, tack, hay, and grain you might throw on. Your truck is probably a 8 which has roughly a 7000 lb pulling capacity. It should be fine.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,162,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGirlCO View Post
Nothing yet...he was a rescue...have had him for about 3 yrs now..and can not find anyone that will train him for a decent price...he is quite touchy..I think he was beat by a woman. He is just a big buddy we like to watch..I do want to get him trained though.
Gosh, Gungirl, it's too bad you're out in CO! My best friend is a horse trainer, and she's pretty darn good! I've seen her work with alot of difficult horses over the years. What makes you think he was beat by a woman? Is he more flinchy around you than around men? Will he let you work with him at all, like ground training? Bless you for rescuing him! He's a very lucky horse!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 13,995,655 times
Quote:
I know we've had a few threads but I'd love to start another one about horse keeping across the US. A place where we can ask questions about the differences, costs ect.

I currently live in NE GA, and I studied and competed in Dressage for 10 years, had some health issues and went to trail riding with a TWH. I have 10 acres so I keep mine at home but I have boarded. Our zoning for horses varies from county to county and can be very different and frustrating.

For instance in some counties you have to have a certain amount of acrerage, road frontage. In some you can have only so many horses per property no matter how many acres you have. Many are even more crazy.

When I was looking for a small place here, I found what I thought would be perfect 5 acre tract in a rural setting...no subdivisions anywhere near, but the property had been rezoned for residential but couldn't be subdivided so no horses. There was also a woman who had bought a property (about 15 acres), didn't check the zoning, built her house and her barn, moved in her horses and about 2 years later, neighbors down the road complained and she had to move the horses off her property and can't sell it for what she's got in it...so be ware if you buy here and check with the zoning dept. not the realtor.

I'm moving (I hope) to central or eastern WA and would love to hear about horse keeping issues, clubs, vets, farriers...and all that stuff.

I do hope others share where there at and where they want to move too.
We don't have any yet, but when we moved we specifically bought the place we did so that some day we could have some.

BTW - a great horse forum site: Horse.com Forum (http://www.forum.horse.com - broken link)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 AM

55 posts, read 232,372 times
I'm another horse lover.;,living in france .We have 6 horses (well in there 2 ponies),all the 6 are for show jumping.They really are great,they live in boxes during the night,and outside (but not all together) during the day .

humm..here the trailer are not the sames,so we trail with an audi break,with is fine.

that's all,you guys should put pictures of your horses!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykatan View Post
Great idea with the horse keeping thread, thanks for starting it.

We live in a 150-home equestrian community in Fort Mill, South Carolina, just over the state line from Charlotte, NC. With our 2 children and 2 careers it works well for us. There is the neighborhood for the children and the land is zoned for 2 horses per acre, and we don't have to maintain a large tract of land. The neighborhood has miles of riding trails, a riding ring and acres of open space so we don't have to pay for the extra land normally required for these things. We also get a good commute into the city since we haven't had to go way out to be able to afford horse property.
Can I ask which subdivision that you live in? We are moving to the Charlotte area and I don't like the new construction in my price range (250k-300k) I would love to find a home near fishing or horses with at least a half acre where the houses are not cookie cutter. We visited Charlotte last weekend and really liked a subdivision called "Windrow Estates" that is zoned equestrian that has a stocked pond, pools, clubhouse, tennis courts as well as trails for horses.

Any advice on other similar communities within commuting distance to Charlotte?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 PM

20 posts, read 61,307 times
Can I ask which subdivision that you live in? We are moving to the Charlotte area and I don't like the new construction in my price range (250k-300k) I would love to find a home near fishing or horses with at least a half acre where the houses are not cookie cutter. We visited Charlotte last weekend and really liked a subdivision called "Windrow Estates" that is zoned equestrian that has a stocked pond, pools, clubhouse, tennis courts as well as trails for horses.

Any advice on other similar communities within commuting distance to Charlotte?

We are in Black Horse Run in the Indian Land area of Fort Mill, SC. It sounds to be very similar to Windrow Estates, similar amenities, age, HOA restrictions. I actually was not aware of a neighborhood like Black Horse Run in the Charlotte area, most of the other "Equestrian Neighborhoods" are new construction with only a community barn and no trails. I think there are a few other neighborhoods around, and the commute will depend on where you will be working. I will send you a direct message with more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or