Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you cry when your pet died?
Yes, I totally bawled 165 86.39%
I shed a few heartfelt tears 17 8.90%
I got a little moist/emotional 5 2.62%
I felt a little sad but that's it 2 1.05%
I didn't feel much 2 1.05%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

I got my cockatiel, Chirpie, when I was 12:

When I look back at the whole time frame that I had her, she was the only creature who was always there for me, no matter what; no matter what I said, no matter what i did - or, what I didn't say or do - she was always there for me. She'd fly over and land on my shoulder and puff up and snuggle me when I was sick or I was sad; when I was happy, she'd make me even happier by playing and singing and dancing. She was literally always on my shoulder when I was home; she moved across the country with me twice. She'd driven all across the US with me, up and down both coasts. I used to take her around on my shoulder in Boston - people would doubletake to see the hardcore/punk dude walking around with a little yellow bird on his shoulder. I'd take her to Chinatown on Saturdays, when all the nice little old ladies would gather with their canaries and finches, and they'd coo over her and give her seed (and me, hum baos!).

When I found her in the bottom of her cage, I remember hearing someone shouting, in terror, then sobbing - and was only when my ex put her arms around me that I realized the sound was coming from me.

I actually took bereavement off work - comparatively speaking, when my grandma died, I didn't take a day off (she didn't like me much anyways). Even a few months later... I'd had a really nice day, got into my car to drive home, started driving, and all of a sudden just realized that she wasn't there anymore. I pulled over and cried like a baby. What do I do now? I'd ask myself. I literally grew up with her. You know they don't live forever, but you don't believe it.

I still tear up when I think about it... but I smile about her way more. When I run into old friends when I'm visiting back in Boston, or reconnect with someone on Facebook, it's only a matter of time before they say, "do you still have that little bird?" Everyone from back then has a story about her.

I have a new parrot now (actually, I've had him for the last six years):

With a lifespan of 50-70+ years, he'll most likely outlive me... for better or worse I still see Chirpie in my dreams often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I have felt sad. But pets are not substitute people in our lives.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 AM

701 posts, read 1,562,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Cried is an understatement.
ikr? I was a screaming mess when one of my dogs died from getting hit by a car (and the car drove off so we couldn't catch the person). When I was little, I've cried over my hamsters (even though they live for only three or four years).

When my dog was stolen two years ago, my mother told me in the car when she picked me up from the airport and I cried for a good thirty minutes. And then when I got home and she went back to work, I cried so hard that I started hiccuping like a child. He was my baby

Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
I'm crying reading these posts.

When my shihtzu of 13 years died when I was a rebellious, show no emotion teenager, I cried privately every night for weeks. I still think back and cry about it. My Dad bawled... first time I saw him cry (the only other time was at my wedding, for different reasons obviously). I finally cried "publicly" when my Dad asked me if I didn't care that he died... looking back I shake my head at what a stubborn teenager I was.

If either of my two cats die, I don't know how DH or I would be able to handle it. They ARE our kids. We've had them now for 7.5 years, since they were just a couple months old. They've gone through so many life changes with us, moves across countries and continents, home, everything. I don't even want to think about it, but it would be true grief.

Sad topic.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Shoot - I cry reading about the deaths of other people's pets. Which is somewhat ironic, as I am a fairly stoic individual.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
I had a goldfish that lived for three years, beginning when I was about four. I cried endlessely after it died. Its name was Brandy.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Of course I did! I even cried relentlessly when my late spouse's cat -- who hated me! -- died. I really missed his skulking around the house, batting at my ankles when I walked by, and hissing at me.

When my childhood cat died, I was on my own and had been on vacation, and called my mom to let her know I was home safely. She let me chatter on about my week away, and then said "Oh, by the way, Muffy died on Wednesday." WHAT??!?!!! What do you mean, "Oh by the way"? I think I waited until I'd hung up the phone before I started to cry, though.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
We recently had to put one of our labs down. She had been with us for over 11 years, so I had been trying to "prepare" myself for the inevitable when it came to my dogs. We figured our male lab would be the first one to go because he's older and has a number medical ailments. We were kind of taken off guard when my "sweet girl" suddenly fell ill. The vet thought it was treatable and she seemed ok for a week, but the following weekend she couldn't even get up. My husband spent the weekend carrying her indoors and outdoors to go to the bathroom and to be with us as a family (she followed me everywhere was always at my feet.) I tried to stay strong and not cry at the vet, but I couldn't. Even my husband cried and I don't know if it was because we lost her or because of my sadness. She passed on Monday and my husband had to leave for overseas on Tuesday. Her absence was gut wrenching. She was a wonderful dog, but I had no idea how much of an impact she had on me or even our other lab. (He hasn't recovered and I think it's just a matter of time for him. )

I miss her terribly and yeah, I cried. I'm crying now just thinking about her sweet face and how good she was to us. We were truly blessed.

I cried over the loss of another dog my family had. She was basically my dog as I had trained her, cleaned up after her, groomed her, you name it. She was good to me and actually reminded me a lot of the dog we just had to put down.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Cried like a baby....still do at times. I miss my dog-she was awesome

Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Yes.
For years with my first dog.

With my dog that just died this May, my dad had to pick my sobbing body off the floor of the vet office...while crying himself.

And I am not a person who cries or tolerates a lot of crying or excessive emotion/drama in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets