Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

449 posts, read 1,692,699 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is possible and after I get some tests done on our senior dog I plan on consulting a holistic vet for nutrition, supplement info. Till I do that though I'd like to do 1/2 kibble and 1/2 homemade for dog and cat.
Is there a base kind of recipe I can do that would be healthy for dogs and cats that I can then add specific dog or cat good homemade foods too? I'm trying to give them a healthier diet but save some on time. I figure the humans in the house deserve time for their own homemade food too...lol

I don't want to do raw so that's out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times
10 pounds meat, 2 cups dry measure carb, a couple pounds of vegies or fruit. Use a differnt meat and a different carb each time. With organ meats, use 1 pound of organ meat with 9 pounds of muscle meat. Organ meat is really rich, so dogs sometimes get diarrhea if they are fed too much at one time.

Servings are really small because there are no fillers.

You can crush up a child's mufti-vitamin and mix it in after the dog food has completely cooled, if you want to.

Add a carton of cottage cheese to the cooled food every now and again. Occasionally give some raw yogurt. Or else crush up some bone meal pills and add those.

Use meat with some fat in it. The dogs need some fat and some fat soluble vitamins. Lean meat isn't necessarily the most healthy choice.

I've stopped feeding kibble completely. Too many recalls.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 AM

449 posts, read 1,692,699 times
Thank you for the help with that, it's been very useful information. I've discovered there are quite a few veg and fruits that can be eaten by both. I have found that it works better if I use my food processor to mix, otherwise they pick around and aren't getting a variety of the nutrients. I'm still trying to figure out appropriate serving size. Appreciate the vitamin, bone meal advice. Between all the recalls and info on pet food, I really want to go to all homemade too.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,887,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Thank you for the help with that, it's been very useful information. I've discovered there are quite a few veg and fruits that can be eaten by both. I have found that it works better if I use my food processor to mix, otherwise they pick around and aren't getting a variety of the nutrients. I'm still trying to figure out appropriate serving size. Appreciate the vitamin, bone meal advice. Between all the recalls and info on pet food, I really want to go to all homemade too.
Google a site for a balanced homemade diet for dogs. I've been getting into it as I want to switch my cats to something homemade, raw or cooked but am concerned about it being balanced.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,086,857 times
If you are cooking the meat, you'll need to add taurine, especially for the cats. Cooking destroys taurine and it's an essential amino acid for both dogs and cats but moreso for cats. They will suffer severe health consequences (blindness, heart failure, death) without it. As I understand it is inexpensive and available just about anywhere supplements are sold. I have a Doberman friend who feeds raw, but does add taurine since Dobes are so prone to cardiac issue; I think she gets hers from iherb.com.

I feed largely raw so I don't have cooked diet minutae at my fingertips but here's just one article on the importance of taurine for cats:

Lesson of the Pottenger's Cats Experiment--Cats Are Not Humans

Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 AM

19 posts, read 53,271 times
I feed my one year old German Shepherd a raw diet- muscle meat, bone, and vegetables. I add a balanced vegetable food base for raw fed dogs with the meat. She thrives on it and enjoys tearing the meat and crunching the bones. Her coat is shiny and her teeth are white with no tarter build up or smelly breath. She is in great health!

I also supplement her diet with a natural multivitamin for dogs, as well as alfalfa and kelp powder. Here are some resource links for you, that helped educate me about a raw diet for dogs... I hope it helps!

Book about natural nutrition and a raw diet for dogs & cats.
Amazon.com: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats (9781561706365): Kymythy Schultze: Books

kymythy.com

Excellent resource for dog nutrition, training, equipment, etc.
Leerburg Dog Training | Health & Nutrition

Vegetable base for raw fed dogs.
Preference - Grain Free, Homemade Dog Food Mix | The Honest Kitchen

Last edited by GreenChilly12; 07-12-2013 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets