Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times

Advertisements

I made this thread in the "business" subforum. Got a few replies, but someone suggested putting it here. Make sense. Here is the link. Side business idea......thoughts?

The premise is we will take care of your hamster, gerbil, rat, guinea pig, or rabbit while on vacation or any extended leave.

We have numerous hamsters and take good care of them. Some even are diabetic and need a certain kind of food we have made up. We have rabbits, and have kept rats and more.

We would pick your small animal up for a fee (gas fee) and care for them. Let them play (we have have a hamster play pen) and make sure their fed and watered.

If we just use your cage the cost won't be too much. Perhaps $4 for a hamster, but more for a rabbit since they need taken care of more. We do have plenty of cages if someone wants to just drop their small animal off.

This wouldn't be us quitting our real jobs, but with our schedule either one of us are off during morning or night. Just a side business if you will.

The small animals need take care of just as much as your cat and dog.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I wouldn't plan on making much money from this, but it certainly would be a nice service to offer. Hamsters, gerbils, etc are probably easier to find family, friends or neighbors to watch than most other pets, so I wouldn't think many people would take advantage. You might find more clients among bunny owners though.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
I own a pet care business and one of our services is pet sitting. My advice to you is:

- Create a website using WordPress › Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS and learn how to do SEO (search engine optimization).

- Contact veterinarians in your area that specialize in the types of animals you wish to pet-sit. Network with these vets, and leave brochures and business cards at their practices so that your target clientele becomes aware of your service.

- Locate any 'fanciers' clubs in your area and spread the word to their membership.

- Consider providing daily visits to the client's home in addition to your plan of taking the small animals to your place. More options for the client equals more clients. Some people will prefer that you keep their small pet at your house, others will prefer for the animal to remain in his home environment while you come to visit once or twice a day. Do the math to determine pricing for these different services.

- Consider joining a pet sitting membership organization and getting pet sitting business insurance.
https://www.petsit.com/

- Pet sitting is an awesome business. Start-up cost is extremely low so you don't have much to lose! I am happy at my job every day, doing what I love. It doesn't feel like "work", I am getting paid to pursue my hobby and I'm making a good living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets