Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 PM

22,638 posts, read 6,387,896 times

Advertisements

Caesar the peke gets Wellness brand dog foods. He also eats some of our food.
Dogs need nutrious food, not some scraps gone bad or cheap junk. It does make
a difference. (Some also believe dogs don't really feel heat or cold, hunger or thirst,
loneliness or neglect...they shouldn't have pets at all)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,515,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So, what do you suggest I do? Return my pet family to a shelter because I can't figure out how to feed them? We all do the best we can, with the information available. I'm not a food scientist.
You know, I've had pets all my life, mainly cats and some dogs. Outside of some injuries, my pets always did well. Now, seems I'm losing my confidence. there's so many varieties of pet foods out there, so many different manufacturers who's motives is not the pet's health but rather their financial health. I get dizzy reading about how to care for animals, something that has brought me pleasure most of my life, to think I was so stupid, I killed marshmallow.Perhaps I should just re-home the remaining cats, any home would be better than with me
Stop it. Many people have been spoon fed and brain washed by the pet food industry, not just you.

The fact of the matter is, more and more are waking up and realizing this and changing how they feed their pets and trying to inform others.

I don't tell people what to feed their pets, but I WILL tell them that their dogs and cats, and yes, ferrets, ARE carnivores! What should carnivores have? Meat. What can carnivores do without? Grains! Let's take a look at the ingredients on the bags of pet food....by-products and grains.

Well, what do they mean by "by-products"? What IS that, exactly? And if they don't need grains, why are these pet foods loaded with grains? In fact, when DID we start feeding our pets this way?

Ask those questions. Do some research. Find the answers.

We have ALL made the mistake of trusting the pet food industry. I failed three cats! One went in to a coma, one got diabetes, kept gaining weight, lost her tail and eventually died because of it and one poor guy had kidney failure. I attribute every damn last problem to their diet.

Do you know when I woke up? When my 4th cat, (after the others had died), was starting to show signs of failure even though she was not old enough to be showing those signs of failure. I thought back to the other cats...how the hell is this possible?

And I started reading. I read for almost an entire YEAR before I finally felt I had informed myself well enough to change their diet over.

There's no need for you to respond the way you did...someone was trying to help you.

What I find the most interesting is that MANY years ago I had a vet for the first cat, (the coma cat). He was a spay/neuter, vaccine vet so I went to him when the pets needed their stuff done. I also had a dog at the time. This vet told me, all those years ago, that it was ridiculous the amount of money that people spent on "teeth cleaning" products for pets and that all of that was a rip off. That dental visits, where pets can die, were unnecessary if people would feed their pet correctly. And he said, "bones are nature's toothbrush". My dog had bones to gnaw on ever since.

A vet I worked for, an exotic pet and bird vet, geez....over 10 years ago, had made up pamphlets on what to feed these animals, including dogs and cats. I never read over the dog and cat one because I thought I knew what to feed them. I did read over all of the other animals though, including ferrets.

You walk in to any pet store today and some uneducated salesperson will tell you it's ok to feed your ferret cat food. No. It's not. But people buy in to that and people feed their ferrets cat food. People buy their birds that crap at the pet store that is filled with fat. Same with their mice or rats.

"But the pet will get bored!!!!"

No, it won't. The pet DOESN'T know the difference, just like this guy said. Fluffy is not going to get bored. Fluffy just wants something to fill his stomach, that's IT.

When people feed that crap, it is, essentially, as if you fed your child candy every night for dinner. Or McD's. Hmmm...well, well, we DO seem to have an obesity epidemic in this country, don't we? And kids are not getting healthy foods...hey! Maybe it DOESN'T work out so well! Same for animals.

What the vet did say about cat and dog food was that it didn't matter what bag you bought, it was all the same. You may as well feed your pet the leather from the bottom of your shoe because it would have more nutritional value.

And even despite all of that, I STILL didn't get it because the pet food industry, a multi-million dollar industry, has done a bang up job of LYING and confusing far too many people.

So don't get offended or upset...but now that you have the knowledge, research. Find out the truth. Do something about it. Change it. Give your pets a better diet that they deserve.

Here: A very, very good place to start: Orijen White Papers.

Google it. You WILL find it. Doesn't matter what site linked to it, go there, click the link to the pdf, read.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
When did they start making kibble, anyways? It seems I remember it being new when I was about 7-8, so that would be about 1960. I remember my parents just feeding the cats table scraps, meat only. Canned cat food was something of a novelty then, too. My parents saw it as a sort of convenience. Our cats were always healthy and lived long, with a diet of just plain ol' meat!

Just like with humans, animals are being slowly poisoned with processed foods.
I don't remember kibble for cats before the 1960s. If it existed in the 50s I didn't know anyone who bought it. Cats got canned fish and table scraps and whatever they caught outside. And I well remember how healthy they were for the most part. Obesity and diabetes were unknown.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM

20,215 posts, read 14,439,908 times
Three Wolves, here is the link to that fine piece of literature you referred to:

http://files.championpetfoods.com/OR...hite_Paper.pdf

Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,181,950 times
well I'm not gonna feed them a whole t-bone steak or anything but leftover fatty pieces, or hot dogs, sure. Whole eggs uncooked are a perfect food for a dog as well, and cheap too boot. The trick is to feed the dogs only when they are NOT begging for food, otherwise it turns them into beggars who just sit there waiting for handouts all the time.

Many brainwashed by the 'carbs are good, meats are bad' government propaganda will disagree, but for a dog, table scraps, especially meaty or fatty scraps, are healthier than any dry dog food you will give them.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,319,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's right. Everybody should pack up their leftovers and mail them to the starving orphans in China where they will do more good.

Dogs can eat some pretty disgusting stuff, but that doesn't mean that I have to feed my dogs the minimum that they can get by on.
And make sure you remove the styroform from the meat before you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets