Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Salt is completely ineffective at killing fleas, unless you are dipping them into some kind of saltwater bath. They do not have porous skin like a snail; they have a hard exoskeleton which would prevent it from drying them out and they certainly won't eat salt. The reason DE does work at killing fleas is because it penetrates the exoskeleton.

Also, if your kittens have ringworm please make sure that is treated as well! Ringworm is extremely contagious to cats, dogs, and people. It spreads through direct contact as well as infected clothing or bedding. I don't recall the exact quarantine period but I think it takes several weeks to clear up
sry to break this to you but refined salt is proven to be a dessicant to fleas which means the salt crystals punch through the exoskeleton of the flea causing it to bleed and become dehydrated it is one of most effective treatments for your homes carpet in getting rid of fleas any refined finely ground salt will do. DE is also likewise a dessicant to the fleas as well as boric acid these three are the best ways to get the fleas out of your homes carpet where almost all fleas will be in larva form
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,175 times
Having had to de4al with this issue a couple of times in the past. The Raid posted above is really your best option. You will need to vacuum all of your carpets and furniture and then spray them with this once every two weeks for about 6-8 weeks. meanwhile you also need to address the fleas on the animals with a good preventative that contains IGR and follow the instructions to the letter.

DE won't do it for a major infestation and salt certainly won't help anything. If these *natural* things really worked modern chemistry would not have needed to come up with things that do.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 AM

10 posts, read 22,200 times
Here is a natural method I found for getting fleas out of the carpet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w4oR8LJVC8

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Having had to de4al with this issue a couple of times in the past. The Raid posted above is really your best option. You will need to vacuum all of your carpets and furniture and then spray them with this once every two weeks for about 6-8 weeks. meanwhile you also need to address the fleas on the animals with a good preventative that contains IGR and follow the instructions to the letter.

DE won't do it for a major infestation and salt certainly won't help anything. If these *natural* things really worked modern chemistry would not have needed to come up with things that do.
This Has to be one of the most moronic statements I have ever read. That's like stating any form of natural medicine or supplements are completely useless because western medicine doctors typically dismiss it as useless. The average doctor would sooner have you eating prescription meds for blood pressure or cholesterol when it has been proven that garlic, red yeast rice or quality fish oil can be equally if not more effective. A major place to look would be say hmm, Asia where natural medicines are often used and there are much lower incidences of cancer, heart disease, etc..

DE and salt can effectively control fleas IF you know how to use it and follow up and control and break the life cycle of fleas. Yet you endorse toxic substances being sprayed all over the place that are harmful to pets and humans and quite often ineffective. I have tried the bombs, the sprays, etc once upon a time. Next to useless!
you need to cover everything with DE. Apply salt to all floor surfaces and let it sit for a few days. Vacuum and repeat vacuuming them put more down and do it again. you need to get to the eggs and break the cycle. if you don't then nothing will work short of winter coming on and a good frost. Other good ideas are to use a number of dehumidifiers as fleas tend to not be able to exist under 50% humidity.
Please use your brain prior to endorsing the spraying of toxins that seldom work all over the place.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM

60 posts, read 86,832 times
an easy way to kill fleas in carpet, without the pesticides!

Half salt and half baking soda. However much you need. Just half and half. Sprinkle on carpet or floor and leave for at least a few hours. I had it in my cats room with them in there and they were fine, even at a point with little kittens in the room. Then just sweep up.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
My experience using salt to kill fleas was good. Maybe the salt kills the eggs which is good since the vacuum sucks up the adults. For carpet, I mixed it with flea powder (use the one that kills eggs) and brushed into the carpet and let it set for few days then vacuum it up. Repeat again for any egg cycles. Dispose of the vacuum bag immediately and tie up in plastic. Fleas will come out of the bag if not tied off. Fleas will also come out of the vacuum too. Good ideal to leave the vacuum outside for any lingering critters to exit the machine. For the patio, I sprinkled just salt on the patio (non windy). If windy, spray patio down so salt won't blow away. Fleas were gone in few days. My test was wearing white socks and not seeing them jumping all over the socks. Can't speak for others but the salt worked for me. I like it because it's cheap and no chemicals unless you mix it with powder. If heavy infestation, the salt method may not be a good choice. I just got a new kitten and is doing the salt routine again just in case the kitten brought little friends with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets