Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
All the rescues I know wait until the euth date to pull, hoping the owner shows up.
I also have not seen a shelter release an animal to a rescue before the legal release date allowed by law. I get the impression that many are not on the same page with this discussion.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
If you couldn't be bothered to search for your dog for 4 days then I would submit you aren't a very good owner. A shelter/pound that is over crowded can euthanize the dog after their hold period which can be as short as a day.
It's just not that black & white..A dog can be lost for months ,cross county lines or be stolen and then lost.
That dog could be in any of dozens of shelters as much as 6 months later..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
All the rescues I know wait until the euth date to pull, hoping the owner shows up.
None of the rescues I know do this, they pull when the dog is open to be adopted..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

Do you have any real world experience with dog rescue? Have you spent your time advertising for a previous owner for a dog pulled from a shelter?
Yes & Yes..
It took 5 minutes to advertise on craigslist and search lost ads in the whole state for the past 6 months.
I cannot understand why this step in rescue would ever be skipped..
I did it because it was the right thing to do..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
None of the rescues I know do this, they pull when the dog is open to be adopted..
This goes back to what I said before, the requirement to search for the owner rest with the agency who initially took that animal in. Would you also argue that it’s the responsibility of a person who adopted a dog to search for the owner? If they adopted the animal or a rescue pulled the animal, it’s the exact same thing.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Yes & Yes..
It took 5 minutes to advertise on craigslist and search lost ads in the whole state for the past 6 months.
Yeah, right 5 minutes. You live in Rhode Island?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
I talked to a lady today that pulls dogs (of their breed) out of shelters as soon as they become adoptable.
Sometimes this is only 4 days after intake. I found out that they make no effort at all to locate the owners,
such as free craigslist ad, checking for lost ads ..

Many dogs roam and are lost for a long time so owners don't check the shelters daily after months have gone by. It should be part of the rescue status application to show that efforts are made to reunite the dog with its owners.

All the more reason any pet owner should have their pet microchipped.

Someone in my neighborhood found a dog, brought it to the vet, the vet scanned for a microchip and the dog had one. The dog lived about 25 miles away!!!!!! Not sure if the dog ran away and got lost or if someone "took the dog for a ride" but they were able to reunite it with its grateful owners.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This goes back to what I said before, the requirement to search for the owner rest with the agency who initially took that animal in. Would you also argue that it’s the responsibility of a person who adopted a dog to search for the owner? If they adopted the animal or a rescue pulled the animal, it’s the exact same thing.
Okay, I do see your point here..

But the rescue is looking for the best future situation for the dog and the best would be returning to a loving home (if that exists)
It seems so easy to find out if a good owner is searching that I don't understand the resistance to doing it..

I have had the heartache as a child of searching for a beloved dog to no avail, so making a small
effort to rule out that possibility seems the humane thing to do.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Yes & Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Yeah, right 5 minutes. You live in Rhode Island?
Craigslist has a statewide search tool that is very easy..
I meant statewide Craigslist lost ads, not other sources, but its better than nothing..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Craigslist has a statewide search tool that is very easy..
I meant statewide Craigslist lost ads, not other sources, but its better than nothing..
Since ads are put up all day... that's more than 5 minutes... for each region for each state. And what one would call a shepherd, another would call a lab. Can't only go by the search terms. Photos... if they put up photos. And just how far should they be expected to look? One state? Two states? In the meantime, while holding a dog in case an owner shows up takes up space that another dog scheduled to die can have. So, looking for a dog's owner just isn't smart. Not in a rescue sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets