U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 AM

455 posts, read 1,012,614 times

Advertisements

We are having a bit of a heatwave in England at the moment, and it makes a refreshing change tbh.

I have two pet rabbits who live outside. They have plenty of cool fresh water and are positioned in a shaded area.

I have use the plastic type dog crate trays to put turf in and I water the turf to keep it moist so they have the choice of laying there to keep cool.

I know the climate in many US States is much hotter than here so I just wondered how you keep them cool.

Here is a picture of my two, they hve access to both hutches via their run.

Pet Rabbits - How Do You Keep Them Cool In Hot Weather-sam_0108.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,246,556 times
Hi Suei! I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to say that I think it's much less common to keep pet bunnies outside in the States, just because in most parts of the country our weather is so much more extreme, either in winter or summer, and usually both! Here in the midwest a heat wave, nothing unusual, would mean temps in the 90's (I just checked, that's above 32 celsius), and in the winter, it is below freezing most of the time. I know it's possible to have outdoor rabbits, but I don't think that many people do. Didn't want you to feel you were being ignored!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,824,235 times
some of the best ways
head to the hardware/home improvement store and buy tile large enouh for your particular rabbit to ay fully on. (for larger breeds this ay be 2x24, for smaller breeds a 12x12 might be suitable...at miimum they need to get the majority of their body on it.
ceramic marble or slate work perfectlyf ro this. get 2 for each rabbit and put them in the freezer...
then 1 goes in the cage while the other remains in the freezer when the tile starts to warm up swap out, warm one back to the freeer, cool one back to the hutch.

frozen waterbottles also work nicey (though ive found te tiel to be more effective as they can lay on it cooling the belly which is the easiest place to cool) the bigger the bottle the longer it remains cold and the eaier it is for the rabbit to lay againstit for cooling, since they take longer to freezer however keep at least 4-5 per bunny on hand. the rabbits will aso lick the condensation off the bottle

a good high velocity fan helps immensely and if your hot and Dry you could set up a misting system with an old hosepipe and mister heads that can be pushed into the hose)

generaly though rabbits tend to be ok in anything up to 84 (about 29 degrees c) after that ighs fo heat distress can start to set in...watch for wet noses. in an emergency the best way to cool down a rabbit is belly and ears, dunk in cool (ot ice cold water) and mist the ears with cool water

weve had 100 degree days and average in the low to mid 90's right now and my buns are in heavy shade and seem to do ok with not much additional assistance. infact thus far the only day ive had to break out the tile and ice was our 110 degree day... I check regularly for early signs of heat stress, but as long as they seem comfortablei don't worry.

andwhen in serious doubt, bring em inside.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,095,078 times
We used to have rabbits outdoors many years ago and what we did was soak, then wring out, old bed sheets in cold water and then draped it over the cage. We would go out a few times a day and resoak them.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM

32,386 posts, read 59,868,870 times
At the county fair -- which is always during the hottest week of the summer -- the small animal owners will fill a plastic 2-liter bottle 2/3 of the way with water and freeze it. After it's frozen, they fill the rest of the bottle with cold water, and put it in the cage with the rabbit.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,095,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At the county fair -- which is always during the hottest week of the summer -- the small animal owners will fill a plastic 2-liter bottle 2/3 of the way with water and freeze it. After it's frozen, they fill the rest of the bottle with cold water, and put it in the cage with the rabbit.
Good idea.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,824,235 times
the problem with wet sheets (and swamp coolers) are they DONT help in hot HUMID climates and the uk is traditionally rather wet (least where I come from its soggy)

Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 5,087 times
In the hot weather give them cold water and keep rabbits away from the sun. Keep the rabbits in the cool environment and feed with the fresh vegetables. Brush the rabbits regularly to get rid of long hairs. Also place some ice in the cage to keep provide the cool environment to the rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or