U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times

Advertisements

I've always heard that kids who grew up with pets had fewer allergies and fewer colds. All of my kids have been raised with dogs and cats and I think I was too. I can't imagine a kid who never had a pet. How lonely that would be.

Last weekend we had a BDay party here. One of the guests, an eleven year old girl was scared of our pets- a 6 lb dogs, a 15 lb dog and two 17 lb cats. She finally told me she had never been around animals. By the end of the party she had warmed up to all 4 animals and even had a cat in her lap when her mother came to pick her up. The child was so proud of herself. The mother was horrified. I knew immediately where her fear came from. How Sad.

Then and now: Kids growing up with their four-legged friends - TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM

970 posts, read 1,831,303 times
My parents had a cat when I was born, but I developed horrible allergies to it. For several months they thought I was constantly getting sick. Eventually they had to get rid of their cat. It still makes me sad now even though I was too young to understand. The allergy thing obviously didn't work for me as a child; however my dad is also allergic to cats and a million other things so I blame genetics. Later they unintentionally adopted another cat (it was a stray that showed up at their house) and we discovered that my allergies had improved.

As an adult my cat allergies are much better. Exposure to unfamiliar cats can trigger a reaction, but they are not as severe as my childhood experiences. Now I actually own two cats. Constant exposure means I don't react to my cats (even if they sleep next to me) but the allergy still exists.

My sister has the opposite problem. She hasn't lived with a cat for awhile, and has actually developed both cat and dog allergies. She had no pet allergies as a child.

I think children should live with some kind of pet, even if they can't have a dog or cat. Right now my fingers are crossed that my son will remain allergy free.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 28,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've always heard that kids who grew up with pets had fewer allergies and fewer colds. All of my kids have been raised with dogs and cats and I think I was too. I can't imagine a kid who never had a pet. How lonely that would be.

Last weekend we had a BDay party here. One of the guests, an eleven year old girl was scared of our pets- a 6 lb dogs, a 15 lb dog and two 17 lb cats. She finally told me she had never been around animals. By the end of the party she had warmed up to all 4 animals and even had a cat in her lap when her mother came to pick her up. The child was so proud of herself. The mother was horrified. I knew immediately where her fear came from. How Sad.

Then and now: Kids growing up with their four-legged friends - TODAY.com

I don't know what the scientific studies say, but I can easily believe that people who grow up around animals have fewer illnesses. Basically, the more germs you're exposed to, in modest amounts, as a kid, the stronger and more adaptable your immune system will be.

IMO people are doing their children a disservice these days with the overemphasis on hand sanitizers and the like. The people I know at work who slather themselves in the stuff are the ones who are always out sick.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM

549 posts, read 858,403 times
I can't imagine ever living without a pet. We have had pets since my oldest child was 5 and he is 27 now. Once we were done with the renting thing the pets poured in.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM

369 posts, read 592,555 times
I grew up with a cat and I have mild pet dander allergies as well as seasonal allergies. But my dad grew up with no pets and his allergies are much worse than mine, so who knows if it was having a cat that saved me or if I have some of my mom's allergy-free genes helping.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,318,555 times
My son had terrible allergies. When he was tested by the allergist, he was allergic to everything but dogs, birds and mold. We had pet dogs, birds and also mold in the house. That pretty much proves that exposure helps reduce allergies to those specific allergens, but being around pets does not reduce overall allergies to other allergens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or