U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,404,913 times

Advertisements

Humans value intelligence and that's why certain animals are in demand or popular as pets, such as parrots, dogs, chimpanzees, and dolphins. However chimps and dolphins are rare, expensive, and costly to keep, making them uncommon as pets.

There is one animal, RAVEN/CROW, that's just as smart as those four animals above, if not smarter, but they are not being kept as pets. Why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM

9,253 posts, read 11,806,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
There is one animal, RAVEN/CROW, that's just as smart as those four animals above, if not smarter, but they are not being kept as pets. Why???
I'm glad you said "not being kept as pets" instead of "having them as pets". People will try to keep them as pets, but the Crow/Raven doesn't want to be your pet. You may get one, try to keep it, but at the first chance they get to say adios, they are gone. And, if you take the unusual steps to secure their enclosure, they will show you just how good they are at figuring things out, like lock picking. Out in the counrty, peoplee have Crows and Ravens that hang out because of the familiar relationship between the human and the bird. But don't for a second think the bird is a pet cause it's just using the humans for their own benefit. Personally, I would not want one as a pet since they are a bit too smart for my likeing.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 12-04-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,262,198 times
Default well...

Quote:
Humans value intelligence and that's why certain animals are in demand or popular as pets, such as parrots, dogs, chimpanzees, and dolphins. However chimps and dolphins are rare, expensive, and costly to keep, making them uncommon as pets.

My Step-Dad had a pet Crow. That bugger was smart as they come. He taught it to bark like a dog.
It was friendl and would follow him through the trees or on telephone wires or along the beach for
their nightly 'walk'... always loved that bird.
Koale

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
On top of all that, it is illegal to keep and possess a crow without a special permit.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,404,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
On top of all that, it is illegal to keep and possess a crow without a special permit.
I wonder why that is? They are certainly not endangered.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM

315 posts, read 483,482 times
We had one "pet" crow at the Wildlife Refuge I worked at one summer. He had to have his wing removed. There were 3 altogether but that old boy was the smartest. They knew how to say "Hello" and "Ouch" and a few other words. The one who lived with the Groundskeeper also knew a few colorful words..he wasn't the friendliest man alive but he sure loved those animals.

These birds are under the Migratory Bird Act. They cannot be possessed, bred, or kept without a permit. This also prohibits their nests, "parts", eggs, etc from being taken as well. So they cannot be possessed by normal people, but who knows how many people actually follow that?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Quote:
No crows are not endangered but they are covered by the The Migratory Bird Treaty Act 1972 amendments which make it pretty much illegal to own or possess any native bird. Why? You got me.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,042,238 times
Quote:
Crows, like essentially all birds native to North America, are under the protection of the Migratory Bird Treatise Act of 1918. It basically isn't legal to do anything other than look at them, unless they are causing a nuisance or depredating your property; then you can shoot them.

Lots of people keep crows as pets in spite of this and most of them are completely unaware of the federal laws in place designed to prevent them from doing just that. Unless someone calls the F&W or the game warden to snitch on them, the MBTA 1918 will never be enforced.

The other thing about crows is that they can draw blood with that big beak and they can sometimes be a little too curious about those shiny eyeballs of yours...

Last edited by Cleonidas; 12-05-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,073,633 times
Many years ago when I lived in S. California I lived not too far from the beach. One day I went to the beach and there was a man there with a full grown crown on his arm. It was his pet and he would dig up sandcrabs in the sand and feed them to the crow.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
as others have pointed out its illegal to own a native bird without special permits those permits are expensive and this most people don't bother...
the African pied crow IS legal to own but the extreme price tag and the care of crows and ravens puts all but the most serious diehard bird lovers off...
these birds are large, and VERY active, meaning they need a LARGE cage to live in...(they catually do best in a alarge flight pen/aviary...
they are incdreibly intelligent, and can use tools...meaning that cage needs to be made specifically for the bird as regular locks don't hold them and they can pick simple padlocks!
they are MESSY...they have a softer smellier poop due to their diet than that of parrots and even song birds...i can tell you its not a smell you want in your house...and thus that large expensive aviary realy needs to be outdoors, meaning more modifcatiosn to make it properly weather esistant (and for peid crows who arnt adapted to American weather in most areas of the country needs a HEATED enclosed house for the winter.
and their diet is VERY complex. crows and ravens are scavengers, they don't do well on pre-made diet of seeds and nuts...they need a very varied diet that includes everything form seeds and nuts to vegatables and grains to MEAT and BONE!...most people don't even understand the concept of feding their dog or cat a raw meat diet so taking on a meat eating bird freeks a lot of the "Parrot folks" out..most parrot peple have no problem feeding their omnivoiristic birds cooked chicken or turkey once in a while but ravens (like vultures) realy need raw meat and bone in their diet not only for their overall physical health and diet but the MENTAL stimulation.
they are also INCREDIBLY loud and more so their call is hars and crass, its not musical like the caged songbirds, and MUCH more frequent and grinding than the average parrot.

it takes a very spcial kind of person to companionize with a corvid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or