Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,004,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
You can help fit a saddle with pads if the saddle is too wide. If the saddle is too narrow for the horse, no amount of padding in the world is going to help.
Very true. I don't think I would have that problem, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,578,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
A question for Evey.......
Is there an explanation for the biting horse ?
I'm not Evey, but just like a woman am butting in.

In my younger days, I had a stud farm and often retrained horses with bad habits. One of the hardest to retrain is the biting horse and one of the things that causes a horse to bite is human error that could have been nipped in the bud with just a little understanding.

First of all, people should never feed a horse from their hands nor keep treats in their pocket and encourage a pony or horse to "find it." You just wouldn't believe how many people do those kinds of things. Put the carrot or the apple chunk or the slice of bread or the handful or grain in a bucket and step back. The horse knows you put it there for him. The food is for him, not the carrier.

I believe that 9 out of 10 biting horses became biters because people raised them to think there was a treat for them in their hand, under their hat or in a pocket.

I no longer train, no longer have a farm and no longer have horses. But I am sure to tell all who will listen, "stop feeding horses from your hand."

On another note, I too fully disagree with going to the barn when you are not well. What you do when the barn is next to your house or in your yard is one thing but to intentionally go where there are other people when you don't feel well is selfish and inconsiderate. A phone call to the barn will always ensure your horse is fed when you are unable to get there.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM

26 posts, read 31,686 times
Default mini-horses

We have always had full size horses.My daughter got interested in miniature horses.We are in heaven,these small equine are consistently being bred healthy, to a size 36in. tall, and under.

Mini-horses are very intelligent, and strong.My daughter enjoyed learning to harness and cart.

These tiny equine are very gentle, and kind.While they can still be naughty, I never really worried about my daughter when she was working with the mini's,as she had experience with full sized equine's,so these tiny equine were a blast for her.

We took the plunge, and bought our own colt.When we bought him he was about 25in. tall,and weighed about 75lbs.We brought the full sized horse trailer to bring him home.He was so tiny in that huge trailer,so I physically picked him up,and put him in the back of my suburban.Soon I had a seat taken out,so he could ride with the kids.He hung his head out the window like a dog.

Putt-putt is his name.And we took him to nursing homes and hospitals doing pet theapy,everyone always loved him,and he even rode in the elevator.He even got on good morning america with Diane Sawyer.

I would recommend miniature horses to any equine lover.They even love to come in your house just like a dog.With Putt-Putt only being 30in. tall, he's about the size of a large dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets