Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Stubby (who's named for her dad, she has a normal tail) is a tiny little cat. She may get a little bigger but not much. But she is always full of love and purring and for such a small package she has a big purr. But the neatest thing is when we go to bed, she sleeps under my chin, and wakes up and starts purring madly when I wake up.

annoying.... a tie.
my older girl who is again mia. She picked a box as hers and wouldn't come out, not she's out and missing. She was never hurt, abused or teased, but started it as a kitten. When it comes to feeding time, there will be no food left if I don't figure out her newest hideyhole by the time she decides to sneek out.

and the dogs, who go bonkers at every sound. A car driving down the street. Someone talking outside. A door shutting. A boom off somewhere. And the three of them all run and bark at the front door no matter where it came from. I call them by organic doorbells.

They do the same with earthquakes (we're getting to be the new winner in the who has the most list) even if they're not felt, but then it could be the guy down the street starting his engine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM

30,249 posts, read 23,719,256 times
What annoying/cute thing does my pet do?

How much time do you have?

I'm going to talk about my girl dog. To understand why this is annoying/cute is to know that she is an extremely intelligent dog. (And I'm not just saying that, because the boy, her brother....eh, not as bright.)

She tries to order me around. What I mean by that is that when I go to cut up their food for the night, I let them outside to conduct their business and run around. If she thinks that I'm taking too long, she will sit right outside the door and bark, like an ***hole. Seriously, that is the only reason she's barking.

"You're taking too long. Hurry up. I'm hungry. Let's go lady, chop chop."

She also manipulates HARD. She still looks like a puppy because her ears are still very floppy, but she's 5. She will do things, and then, ON PURPOSE, look straight at me to see what I'm going to do about it. It's annoying as HELL, but it's also funny as hell...and it drives me nuts. You can't let your dog know that you think it's funny, you lose if you do. So I have to try to hide the grin on my face...and so what does she do? She runs over to me, and circles and circles and circles around me trying to get a look at my face. I'm not kidding, she's such! A punk!

When she doesn't like something, (food wise), she will, very daintily, spit it with a "ptooie" from between her lips. It's annoying that she's so fricken picky, but it's funny the way she does it.

Long time ago, when I first got her, she would sit on my bed with me while watching tv. One day, I was clicking through channels trying to find anything interesting. I happened to click through to a channel with a bunch of beauticians, and she perked up. Intrigued, I left it there. Long story short, this turned out to be something she wanted to enjoy. I don't know if they can see anything but shadows from the tv, but she stared intently at it, especially when the blonde girl came on, and listened. I tested this out a few times, confirmed that's what she wanted, and that is how we ended up watching Jerseylicious all the time. If I tried to go past it, she would "throw a fit" which included jumping all over me, actually trying to grab the remote in her mouth, putting her paw on my arm, hand, and the remote, staring at the tv, staring at me, staring at the tv, staring at me....even though I thought the show was absolutely stupid, she wanted to watch it, and there was no rest until she did.

Finally, she fakes injuries. Or should I say, she prolongs how long she's actually injured. If she hurt her wrist, legitimately, she will look pitiful, sit in one spot and stare at me as if I did that to her. BUT, beyond the time she's feeling better, and can walk like a normal dog!, she will continue to pull out the drama. She'll hold that paw up, she'll act like she's debilitated, she'll whine, she'll carry on, "carry me" all kinds of horse spit going on with her. And once you catch her in the act of jumping up on the couch, where she was not supposed to be, she'll fling herself over to you and pronounce, in her doggy way, 'I'M CURED! IT'S A MIRACLE! LET'S CELEBRATE!"

One winter when I lived in Maine, it had snowed out, and we were walking down to a store to get something to drink. She walked along JUST fine until we approached a parking lot that had up Christmas trees for sale. As soon as she saw the amount of people there, she stopped, sat on her butt, lifted her paw and HOWLED at the top of her lungs.

Why?

For attention.

Embarrassed, I picked her up, and carried her the rest of the way to the store...which I'm sure was absolutely hilarious to everyone driving by. (She's small but she's no purse dog...she weighs 26 pounds.)

Right outside the store, I put her down. Suddenly she was fine. She was cured! It's a miracle! Let's celebrate!

I got my drink, and some napkins, because I KNOW her, and went back outside to get her and walk home. Everything was fine. She was having a blast.

And then we came up on that Christmas tree lot again.

Sure enough, she started whining, carrying on, sat down, and this time she picked up her right HIND leg, (a totally different leg than last time), and HOWLED at the top of her lungs.

Why?

For attention.

*&#$@! DOG! These people are going to think I'm abusing you, KNOCK IT OFF!

So to spare myself, NOT her, I picked her up and carried her. I told her she was full of it.

She shivered a little.

I told her I was not buying it. She was faking.

She started to "shiver uncontrollably" to make a point.

As soon as the Christmas tree lot was out of sight, she squirmed and demanded to be let down.

And we walked the rest of the way home without incident.

She's a major pain in the backside. Total jerk dog.

Her name is Sakari, but I've been calling her FAKEkari for some time now.

tl; dr: My girl dog basically treats me like I'm an idiot and her servant.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
I have asked Santa for a Furminator to deal with a cat who sheds like a banchee. He is short haired, but my house is covered in a thin layer of black fur... it.s invisible unless you get one of those sticky tape roller things and then I see the reality. He gets premium cat food, grain free, $18 a bag, so I know his diet cannot be the problem. I am done with ecats after this one. Back to dogs!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I have asked Santa for a Furminator to deal with a cat who sheds like a banchee. He is short haired, but my house is covered in a thin layer of black fur... it.s invisible unless you get one of those sticky tape roller things and then I see the reality. He gets premium cat food, grain free, $18 a bag, so I know his diet cannot be the problem. I am done with ecats after this one. Back to dogs!
Oh, I have to say, dogs - depending on the breed - can be worse shedders than cats. My border collie, if I don't keep up with his daily brushing, tends to leave clumps of fur in corners of the house, esp. during a moult. But my last dog, who was an Australian cattle dog cross, was the worst for leaving hair everywhere. She had a semi-coarse top coat with a downy, cloyingly-thick undercoat beneath that, and both in and out of moult she would leave a vast trail of that soft under layer of fur...all...over...everything. She was far, far worse at shedding than any cats I had ever owned. All I can say is, good thing she was cute.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
My dog started rubbing his butt against our carpet. I don't like that he uses our carpet to scratch his itchy, possibly dirty butt!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Oscar get as close as he can to the heat vent directly under the main kitchen sink. He is a big 15 pounder (Ragdoll) and he spreads out as long as he can. He does this every chilly morning while the whole family is trying to get ready for school and appointments. We all walk over him, cussing him the whole time but we won't move him. He loves being with his family and could use any of the many other vents in our big house. He is spoiled rotten but we love him.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
I can write a book on this subject - I have three parrots, two cockatiels, five parakeets, and two dogs!

However, the 26 year old Amazon parrot I have learned to say "Am I a good bird?" when he wants snacks like crackers or chips. Nevermind we may have just fed him "good" food, it means give me junk!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:43 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Well this is one thing that is cute at times and annoying at others. One of our shepherds is very vocal almost like a husky but louder. He just howls and makes all this weird noise whenever he gets excited. I think it's so cute...until the neighbors start complaining. He's already 9 years old and we had someone at the house who said "Oh yeah I remember the puppy years." But he's far from a puppy. Anyway I love his enthusiasm but hate irritating the neighbors!
LOL. My shepherd is very vocal. When its time to get up in the morning she crawls from the foot of the bed to my head and begins her odd vocals while pushing at me with her head until I get up to let her out. She is so cute doing this but the sound is so annoying. She does the same when I get home from work or when one of the other dogs gets near me wanting lovin.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:55 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Cute: Loki loves to play catch with his Kong. I mean, he would do this for hours and hours! So if I'm sitting down, he drops the Kong on my lap and says, "whrrr. Whrrr," until I notice him and throw the Kong. It's the cutest thing!

Annoying: twenty minutes later, he's still dropping the (now sopping wet) Kong and whrrring away. Lol

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Another habit my perpetually weird border collie does:

He suckles blankets.

My sister once took care of Izzy for a few days when I had to go away, and upon my return she said, "I'm not impressed with your dog; he peed on my bed!" I was shocked when she told me this, but then it dawned on me, and I asked her, "Did you see him do this?" whereupon she replied, "No, but when I woke up in the morning the top blanket was wet in one spot". And that's when I knew. I'd forgotten to inform my sister before leaving that Izzy will take a section of blanket and scrunch it up into a mound between his paws, then sit there contentedly suckling away on it until he falls asleep. The result: a wet spot on the bed in the morning...not from an accident, but from Izzy's weird habit. I suspect he does this because he was separated from his mom so early (2 weeks old) and so now, he does this to relax himself, much like a human child who perpetually sucks a thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets