Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

One proud horse

https://www.facebook.com/pegasebuzz/...0800160328129/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 AM

Happy Ending but scary for awhile. Watch to the very end. Shot of mane cut away. How often would something like this happen?

They Stumbled Across A Mare Lying Down. But When They Got Closer, They Saw THIS!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:25 PM

Horrors. NO!

Tonto National Forest horses to be "condemned, destroyed or otherwise disposed of"

Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 PM

https://www.thedodo.com/snowboarders...392835728.html

Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Does it hurt the horse to have it stop so suddenly after going so fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=JgzuyvFOLik

Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Four horses rescued from flooding in Andrews - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 10-22-2015, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Does it hurt the horse to have it stop so suddenly after going so fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=JgzuyvFOLik
No. I've seen reiner babies do that exact move out in the pasture. Good horsemen take good care of their horse's legs to keep them sound.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_chaoss View Post
No. I've seen reiner babies do that exact move out in the pasture. Good horsemen take good care of their horse's legs to keep them sound.
I was thinking more in terms of the mouth. I know nothing about horses. How does she get the horse to stop so quickly? Is it all legs and feet (hers and horse?)

I keep coming back to this video. It really is beautiful. Do you think the horse is aware of the audience's cheers and that it means approval? /some animals seem to thrive on this kind of attention...born performers.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of the mouth. I know nothing about horses. How does she get the horse to stop so quickly? Is it all legs and feet (hers and horse?)

I keep coming back to this video. It really is beautiful. Do you think the horse is aware of the audience's cheers and that it means approval? /some animals seem to thrive on this kind of attention...born performers.
if done right a horse should not feel pain when asked to stop. with that said horses have personalities just like people. some are stubborn and or lazy and don't want to "listen". a rider may have to be more forceful with their aids to communicate to their horse what they want them to do. that said there are many humans who are too heavy handed and have hurt their horses mouth by being too rough, too often. there is a term for it but I don't remember what it is. it is hard to work with a horse that his mouth so conditioned to rough treatment it really no longer feels the bit.

yes, some horses are aware they are in the ring. we had a great little old pony for my daughter that knew she was in the show ring. after doing the walk, trot, canter both ways she knew it was time for line up and would head to center ring and position herself for the line up.

edited to add, some horse breeds are better at this full stop than others. most would use a quarter horse for reining as they have very strong haunches and back end. an example is thoroughbreds are used more for racing as they are finer bone and can run faster for longer stretches.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,883 times
Quote:

It's mostly legs/seat. When I sit deep on my horse, all forward motion stops, instantly. He's not a reiner so he doesn't slide (he's not built for it), but it's the same concept.

Here's a good video to watch; no saddle and no bridle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaMI5PkLIM

Horses are like people - some thrive on a crowd's attention and for some it doesn't make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets