Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:47 PM

184 posts, read 244,429 times

Advertisements

Sveg : Thank You for this post. I am now researching making a chamber for my 16 yr old Toy Fox Terrier just diagnosed with enlarged heart and the breathing issues which come with. I know that congestive heart failure (CHF) is probably down the road, but want to treat him a couple of times a day in this. When not having a bad "spell" , he enjoys life still. Believe it or not, I'm having trouble locating an oxygen tank in my immediate area ( go goodness sake, I live in florida with lots of seniors, this shouldn't be an issue LOL), but some further away. I've called a lot, but will be trying a place that supplies several kinds of O tanks, not just medical. I know what to ask after your fine article. My dog will probably freak some at the container I use, esp not being able to get out. I'm thinking of using the medium sized carrier I have and using plastic to seal and leave openings for expelling of used air.
People keep warning me that Oxygen is dangerous, and a fire hazard. I largely ignore this since a LOT of O is used in homes all over America. I will be careful, but IF you have advice, I'd listen. Also, I would even pay for another person to build it, but if not available, I'll do it. Note: I could Not fine a Youtube video for help, kind of surprised me. Thanks and any advice from ALL would be greatly appreciated. If I can help my dog, I want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 AM

184 posts, read 244,429 times
WHEW ! I've now secured an Oxygen Concentrator, the kind that converts air to Oxygen and what most people used at home to supplement their Oxygen need. It only cost me $75.oo off CL and was worth far more, around 500.$, and like new.
I'm building the chamber today, using a wire cage and wrapping a clear shower curtain around it, door separate. Then put the hose in and give him treatments. I will VENT the exhaled air out (important) by leaving some gaps thru the plastic around door. I got instructions from a nice lady mentioned on the Peg Magazine site, under Oxygen chamber articles.
No trips to get tanks filled and the whole chamber is going to cost under $100. - not a cure, but comforting/helpful oxygen treatments a couple times a day. My dog is still enjoying life and it's worth it to me since I've seen a dog go into congestive heart failure, and its very stressful on the dog and their human.

#### My biggest issue now is finding a flow rate, remembering I have the Concentrator and have to use it's instructions. I do not have manual, will get one online. I figure it's around 2 flow rate, I'm checking.
PLEASE If you use a concentrator or have suggestion on flow rate, Please advise here. I think it would be around the same as the original posters cat received, as my dog is small and around 7 lbs. NOT asking for medical advice, just what u think helps and THANKS TO ALL> I hope to hear back soon.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,537 times
Thank you so much for this info with such great detail. My dog has the same condition except that he is Stage 5 and when he is having trouble breathing, I also spend so much money so they can do this at the vet for 20 minutes and a dose of lasix which I can administer myself. The vet actually advised me to do this myself but I had no idea where to begin in making it properly. Thanks again!!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,458 times
First of all I do agree with most of you about the quality of life part of this thread. But I must say I have a dog that has some medical breathing problems. I myself will be building one of these Chambers for her. I can tell (like most pet parents) that my dog would want me to do this for her. The vet charges way to much for this procedure..... I agree with the rest of the parents that this is worth it!! I myself don't have children,so she is mine and I be DAMMED if I'm giving up on her!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 15,696 times
thank you very much for sharing this information with links and pictures! it is very useful. I have a cat with asthma so this will help him a lot.
I will talk with my vet but to have a reference or idea: How long do you keep your kitty for in the chamber? how often does she use it?
Thank you again for sharing your experience and your oxygen chamber model!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
You can get compressed oxygen at any Welding Suppy store with NO prescription needed, and in much larger bottles, if desired, than medical oxygen, and I'm betting for less $$. Technically it is industrial grade oxygen, versus medical grade, but I'd be surprised if there was much difference past a final filtration and a lot of documentation. I, and many other welders have huffed industrial oxygen the morning after imbibing too much alcohol, with no ill effects

I have also noticed medical oxygen bottles at welding supply houses, no idea if they rent them to anyone, or just to the home medical suppliers.
wpme, it may sound good to use a compressed oxygen bought at any Welding Supply store but I would not do it. The quality of oxygen may be very different. Doing a correlation with diving, the air to be used in the divers' tank has to be of great quality to avoid contamination. I guess the quality of the industrial oxygen can be of much lower level than the medical oxygen (aka have some pollutants, etc.) So, it is too risky for the animal to be given industrial quality oxygen.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I feel so sorry for that cat in your first thumbnail pic,you cant seriously think keeping a cat pent up for years in that tiny enclosure is in any way the humane course of action.
the cat stays in the chamber for a limited time (maybe minutes?) The extra oxygen actually improves her quality of life.

And from the pics, one can see that the chamber is comfortable (nice pillow) and the cat is relaxed. Great and smart guardian! and great citizen by sharing the knowledge with others )

Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,212 times
sveg15- I wish people would actually take in what they were reading. This is ONLY to help your cat breathe when she needs more oxygen....TEMPORARILY! You are not keeping your cat in this full time at all. You are more than a humane person to go to the lengths both financially and time wise for your sweet cat. I hope she does well.

Thank you so much for posting this. I have birds and have always wanted to have an at home oxygen set up just in case there was an emergency. Many times birds can't even make it to the vets in time. This is such useful information for anyone who cares to go the extra mile to be prepared at home for any animal. Again, thanks

Last edited by birds&more; 01-09-2017 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-16-2017, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,149 times
Thanks sveg! I'm going to make one of these for my stressed out asthmatic puss. We're paying $800 per stay at the vet just for oxygen.
An hour or two every night will make it much easier for her to breathe. And for any nay-sayers, she's had $6,000 in vet stays and tests over the last 12 weeks to find out she is in perfect health ... asthma is the only issue. If for whatever reason she gets short of breath eg. seasonal, bit of a cold, allergy then putting her in a car to take her to a vet makes it 100 times worse.
I'm going to attempt to make her comfy cat carrier a bit more air tight (a re-used clear pvc quilt bag) and attach the hose to the plastic. There'll be holes of corse, but the old quilt bag will hopefully act like the pvc 'tent' our vet uses.
Thanks again.
Redkat
Canberra, Australia

Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 AM

31 posts, read 43,229 times
Nice one. This seems pretty helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets