Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 04:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,544,767 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just got this email today. Thought it would be a good thing to spread the word. it will hurt to read so tread softly here. I figured those around the country who are involved in animal welfare can spread the word to shelters, rescues, etc. You can give your thoughts on this if you need to. I don't know exactly just how to use this information if I was a shelter...

[i]
Share this with everyone you know and especially in California. I sent this to the Long Beach Animal Control and Code Enforcement, a few animal groups in Long Beach and PETA, but this guy could be out of Long Beach already, so keep sending out to everyone you know. This is why we need a nationwide registry of known animal abusers...with their photos...

THIS CONTAINS STORIES OF ANIMAL ABUSE

I am a supporter of animals and I have contacts through PETA, Best Friends and many other local groups
I received this email and I wanted to share it with you. I sent it to PETA as well, not sure anyone can do anything about this...not sure it is even true...but better to be safe than sorry!
Susan Russell

Subject: FW: Reminder - PLEASE READ - Shon Rahrig, convicted animal abuser, has moved to Long Beac
***UPDATE!! (8/30/06): He has set up a dog walking service at the Long Beach dog park, he has been getting ref. and dogs from the other dog walkers at the dog park. Maybe it be best to leave your dogs in your own care until they catch the creep!
Convicted animal abuser Moderator cut: edit has moved to Long Beach. He uses Craigslist to find animals to torture, both posting and answering ads. He favors Calico cats, but will also take kittens, adult cats, puppies and older dogs instead. He tends to focus on 'free to good home' ads so he can get free victims.

Last edited by riveree; 01-20-2008 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: shortened, copyright protection - please provide a link to the article.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,544,767 times
Update on my orginal post:

I decided to pull up the Pet-Abuse.Com - Home website and look at what they speak of the "free pet to a good home" adds, that I always was against using. I always troubled me taht people think it's an innocent move. The website offers advice as what to do when you see any of those adds in Craigslist, Kijij, newspapers, or anywhere. It's a pretty simple thing to do and I believe that once we educate the poster, they will be more cautious to do it ever again.

to check out what they say about the "free pet to a good home" and the alternatives to do if you need to let go of a family pet, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!! :

Pet-Abuse.Com - Free to Good Homes Ads

Example letter to send to potential posters of these adds:

HelpingAnimals.com // Animals @ Home // "Free to Good Homes" Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,868,678 times
they should post this creeps picture so people know what he looks like. it is a shame that there are not tougher sentences for animal abusers! there should even be a national database for animal abusers like there is for child abusers with their current addresses so you know where they live!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,224,775 times
MODERATOR: This thread is officially closed and will remain so.

Posters, in the future - no names, no pictures. I'm sorry - no matter how upset you may be, please do not do these things. It violates the Terms of Service badly. Report to authorities or do whatever you have to do - tell your story in your own words, but no names, cities, agencies, investigators, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets