Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,775,587 times

Advertisements

yes people find it gross to have dogs around food, yes I fnd it silly (people are much more discusting than my dogs lOL)
BUT, a GROCERY store is NOT being "cranky" when they don't want dogs in there, if the health dept were to find out they had a PET dog in the store they can be heavily Fined and even shut down for health code violations....

service dogs are exempt and if your dog is a service dog all you have to say is
"sir, she is a working service dog and if you have a problem with this I will happily talk to your manager"

again I think the "REASONS" for the general dog not being allowed in certain places are silly, but those rules are in place for a reason....
unfortunately IDIOT people have allowed their dogs to act in a certain way in public, giving the public reason to feel dogs in public are Gross and or dangerous...
until we live in a society where people take responsibility for their dogs behavior e will always have this issue...
in Europe dogs are welcomed MOST places, BUT they are also expected to behave apropriatly too.

side note, legitimate service dogs don't have "CREDENTIALS"
a simple "my dog is a service dog," is all that is required (assuming your dog is acting in a way befitting a service dog) if a cashier continues to bully argue or address the situation inaproriatly "I would like to talk with your manager"
if your dog is NOT acting in a way appropriate to a service dog (side note having your dog in the basket even with a pad service dog or not is FROWNED upon by the service dog community, if your small service dog canot be on the ground for any reason it should be in a secure safe appropriate carrier...having them in the cart even with a mat is considered misuse of equiptment and frowned upon in the service dog community) then the store has every right to ask you to remove said dog (though you are allowed to return without the dog at that time.)

As service dog handlers (especially with invisiabile disabilities we NEED to be good examples and ambassadors, its hard enough navigating an anti dogs in public world, even harder disabled, we ned to maintain a good example and not make it all about ME ME ME...my rights are important, my service dog is important, and I will address issues in a CALM manner whenever possible...im none confrontational, if theres an issue "I will happily talk to your/the manager" and I hand them an ADA info card which has the ADA # on it and tell them I will happily WAIT while they talk to the ADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM

138 posts, read 230,975 times
Don't feed the troll. There are a LOT of red flags in that post. No way this is a legitimate service dog team.

Your choices, manner and attitude are ridiculous. Hope you learned a lesson.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 22,332,364 times
Wow. I guess I'm kinda thankful I live in a state that for the most part accepts dogs. Like I said before- I don't take my dog into a food store or a dining establishment, but he sure does park his rear with the other dogs outside by the door. They go in the local sportsmans store place all the time, especially if I need to get a collar or vest or something particular for them. It's kinda nice to see if the item fits. But then again- I've got hunting dogs, and well that's a hunting store, lol.

It's just so common here that no one get's riled about it. Dogs are everywhere. Ranch dogs, bird dogs, companion dogs. This is pretty much what you see- http://www.city-data.com/forum/18502559-post4.html Dogs at the grocery store..

Dogs on vacation- Ranch Dog Holiday - Dogs on Vacation - Sunset

I mean they are EVERYWHERE.

However- the vast majority of handlers are conscientious to others, so if someone doesn't like it, we usually put them outside (albeit reluctantly) and usually other people scowl at the person who didn't like it.

So note- people that do not dogs in public- DO NOT TRAVEL TO MONTANA. STAY AWAY!! Dogs are everywhere!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM

714 posts, read 741,895 times
I used to work at 2 different AT&T stores in the same metro area.

One was a bigger store, and we would allow dogs so long as they were well behaved. We'd often tell people that they might have to pick the dog up and hold it if the place got busy.

One was a much smaller store, we didn't allow dogs there. The space was so tight that it would be impossible for someone to be there with a dog and not have it potentially bother other guests. People would just storm in with their dog and we would politely tell them we weren't allowed to have animals in the store... People would get so wound up and angry and threaten to call corporate to complain, so I'd just tell them to go find a store that allowed dogs. Some came back, some didn't. If you think you're entitled to take your dog into any place of business, I'd rather not ever deal with you or even meet you. Some of these people seriously got so dramatic and angry that I couldn't help but laugh at them as they were talking/yelling.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,753 times
Put them in a carrier, like baby. that wont offend anyone. That's where the term "putting on the dog" came from. rich ladies had carriers for the their little rat dogs when they went on the town.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 AM

20,098 posts, read 16,021,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjaneishere View Post
I had to take my small dog into a grocery store, so she wouldn't cook to death in the car. You people are ridiculous. I had to run into a grocery store with my well-behaved dog in the basket of the cart. She sits on a large quilted pad which covers the bottom of the basket. By the way, she is a service dog but we had a distaster at our home and we got out with Gidget (my dog) and little else, but it was none of this obnoxious checker's business.

I hurried and was in there for 15 minutes. He checked out my 6 items while yelling at me that dogs aren't allowed in the store and that customers think they are disgusting to have around food. That was a new one on me; I pointed out she was sitting on a pad, he was a real crank. I tried to explain she was a service dog, but he was so mean I wasn't going to go into the whole story about having to be in a hotel, and not being able to grab her credentials.

I did ask if he was the boss and he said no, "do you want to speak with him." I said no. I was just thinking, he must be the boss because he was such an ******* and I could tell everyone hated him. I almost said, "Jeez, I know you're a very unhappy person, please don't go home and beat your wife and kick the dog."

Having a screaming baby in a poopy diaper is more digusting around food than a dog, I mean, COME ON!
From the DOJ:
Quote:
Q31. Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?

A. Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog. For example, if a person with diabetes has a glucose alert dog, he may carry the dog in a chest pack so it can be close to his face to allow the dog to smell his breath to alert him of a change in glucose levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets