Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So it's not worth worrying about the people that don't want animals around food?

You should worry. I'm a HUGE dog lover, and most of my waking hours revolved around my dogs, their care, exercise and training. But I don't want strange dogs around my food.

I guess you'd be the one "annoyed" when I complained to the store, threatening to turn them in to the health department.

I probably would and she isn't behind the counter making a sandwich or coffee to be sure!!!! She is a smart little dog, but, not that smart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Seriously.....most of the time people don't even notice I'm carrying my little dog so how could she be yapping drooling etc. Now if I'm walking her and she encounters another dog well who knows This is why I carry her anywhere there could be an issue and she sits like a stuffed animal. I even get comments asking if they may pet her or why is she so well behaved why I laugh at because she is naughty, but, naughty at seven pounds is different than 100 pounds of naughty
Incorrect. My 106 pound Great Dane had her ear horribly bitten by the next door neighbor's 5 pound Chihuahua. She is a deaf dog, and she ran up to our adjoining fences to greet the dogs, which she had done many times before. She is not in the least bit aggressive, and loves humans and other dogs. But the Chihuahua didn't take kindly to her visit. He slipped his tiny head through a miniscule hole in the fence and bit a piece of her ear off, necessitating a $500 emergency vet visit, antibiotic treatment, and several return trips for bandage changes. I assure you, your 7 pound Muffin is quite capable of doing considerable damage.
Attached Thumbnails
People bringing their dogs into public places-nilla-bandages-2.jpg  

Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Incorrect. My 106 pound Great Dane had her ear horribly bitten by the next door neighbor's 5 pound Chihuahua. She is a deaf dog, and she ran up to our adjoining fences to greet the dogs, which she had done many times before. She is not in the least bit aggressive, and loves humans and other dogs. But the Chihuahua didn't take kindly to her visit. He slipped his tiny head through a miniscule hole in the fence and bit a piece of her ear off, necessitating a $500 emergency vet visit, antibiotic treatment, and several return trips for bandage changes. I assure you, your 7 pound Muffin is quite capable of doing considerable damage.
I'm holding her so unless your dog jumps up into my face my dog cannot bite your dogs ear. If your dog jumps up into my face well that is naughty on both of the dogs. Please read before you go spouting off. I know Great Danes are wonderful sweet dogs just like my GSD's are.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 PM

483 posts, read 654,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Seriously.....most of the time people don't even notice I'm carrying my little dog so how could she be yapping drooling etc. Now if I'm walking her and she encounters another dog well who knows This is why I carry her anywhere there could be an issue and she sits like a stuffed animal. I even get comments asking if they may pet her or why is she so well behaved why I laugh at because she is naughty, but, naughty at seven pounds is different than 100 pounds of naughty
No. Its not

It means you have a dog who you decided to take no time to train. Thus you are a poor owner.

All dogs should be trained, regardless of size. Its better for their well being and those around them. She is "behaving" because she is trapped in your arms.
Not to mention your dog is not a service dog and shouldn't be stores.

I make a stink in stores when people come into with their dogs. Asking very loudly "hey, you can't bring that dog in here what are you doing" usually gets them flustered and they leave.
I've never had anyone try and tell me their dog is a "service dog" either and if they did I'd strike up a friendly conversation about how the helps them 1. Because its interesting(dogs are amazing when trained to do tasks) and 2. Because if they falter and seem nervous you know they are lying. So they can leave.

People bringing in dogs that have no purpose take away from the true service and support dogs out there.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
No. Its not

It means you have a dog who you decided to take no time to train. Thus you are a poor owner.

All dogs should be trained, regardless of size. Its better for their well being and those around them. She is "behaving" because she is trapped in your arms.
Not to mention your dog is not a service dog and shouldn't be stores.

I make a stink in stores when people come into with their dogs. Asking very loudly "hey, you can't bring that dog in here what are you doing" usually gets them flustered and they leave.
I've never had anyone try and tell me their dog is a "service dog" either and if they did I'd strike up a friendly conversation about how the helps them 1. Because its interesting(dogs are amazing when trained to do tasks) and 2. Because if they falter and seem nervous you know they are lying. So they can leave.

People bringing in dogs that have no purpose take away from the true service and support dogs out there.

It is interesting that I never ever have a problem except "nameless internet people" that claim they will complain if they even see a dog. In real life never ever have a problem. I actually have happy smiling people when they encounter my little dog so I don't put much stock in your silly posts I'm guessing you aren't actually this grumpy in real life.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
We're not grumpy, we're not angry, we're not "a holes." We're just ordinary people who are annoyed by dog owners who have no respect for the law, or for people who might not like your dogs as much as you do. You can bend over backwards to make us out to be evil, heartless, angry people all you like, but the only person you're convincing is yourself.

That said, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, your home, and your other dogs. That must have been very, very difficult and painful to deal with, and I hope your new dogs give you enough happiness to overcome at least some of the pan of those losses. My best wishes to you and your dogs.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
We're not grumpy, we're not angry, we're not "a holes." We're just ordinary people who are annoyed by dog owners who have no respect for the law, or for people who might not like your dogs as much as you do. You can bend over backwards to make us out to be evil, heartless, angry people all you like, but the only person you're convincing is yourself.

That said, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, your home, and your other dogs. That must have been very, very difficult and painful to deal with, and I hope your new dogs give you enough happiness to overcome at least some of the pan of those losses. My best wishes to you and your dogs.

That is very kind of you, but, we aren't bothering anybody at all it is ok.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I like dogs, and I miss having one sometimes. They are such good company. I think it is nice when businesses are dog friendly, but I don't think animals belong in grocery stores.

We have friends who came to visit with their dog, and my son visits with his two big dogs, which is fine. What I don't like is that we can only go to restaurants with outside patios, because of the dogs. It is very limiting.

If I had a dog, it would be a little, portable one, but I still can't imagine myself dragging it around with me everywhere I went. Who needs the anxiety of worrying about accidents or barking or whatever? Since I am getting older, I would try to not become one of those silly old people who push their dog around in a stroller, or become too obsessed.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-09-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,668,763 times
I love my dog, but I certainly don't take her into restaurants and stores (other than PetSmart). And I don't want to see other people's dogs when I am in such places. I don't want to see people with their pet snakes, iguanas, chickens, chinchillas, or any other pets in public places.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like dogs, and I miss having one sometimes. They are such good company. I think it is nice when businesses are dog friendly, but I don't think animals belong in grocery stores.

We have friends who came to visit with their dog, and my son visits with his two big dogs, which is fine. What I don't like is that we can only go to restaurants with outside patios, because of the dogs. It is very limiting.

If I had a dog, it would be a little, portable one, but I still can't imagine myself dragging it around with me everywhere I went. Who needs the anxiety of worrying about accidents or barking or whatever? Since I am getting older, I would try to not become one of those silly old people who push their dog around in a stroller, or become too obsessed.

LOL, I bet unless you look in that stroller to see the cute baby, you might not even know there was a dog in there. Especially if they have zip up screens around the strollers to keep Mopsy from jumping out and taking off suddenly

That happened to me one time in a store. Here comes a large number family surrounding the proud grandpa (I guessed), as he very proudly wheeled a stroller around. The stroller was decorated with all kinds of ribbons, lace, bows and other froo-froo I would associate with a new baby, and it had a fancy netting covering the front of the stroller. The family members were all dressed up too, and I had passing thoughts that maybe the baby had just been baptised something like that.
It looked like a happy occasion for them, and as I went by them I took a peak into the stroller to see if I could see the new baby and congratulate the proud family on their new arrival

What I saw when I looked in that stroller was a little guy that looked like a bulldog of some kind, with his lower jaw and teeth jutting out he looked a little bit fierce to me. This was just his look but it startled and surprised me so much since I was expecting a human baby. With this and what seemed to me the contrast between the frilly stroller, and the fuss made by this family and the fierce looking little guy in the stroller, I started laughing uncontrollably and couldn't stop. Still laughing, I told the family "their baby was beautiful", wished him the best and left. I'm not sure they understood me from the bewildered looks on their faces- they were all speaking Spanish and I was too embarrassed to try and explain where I was coming from. And part of my confusion was that I had never seen a dog in a stroller before, and had no idea that people did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets