Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times

Advertisements

DH and I are making new Wills and are having difficulty finding rescues that could take them in the event of our deaths. How is everyone on here dealing with that? Since we only rescue seniors, we looked into senior rescues but they could not guarantee help.

We do not want to burden family with making the decisions, especially since our family members no longer live in the area. Money is not an issue and we can make a very generous donation, which is why I find it interesting that we cannot find a rescue. I have contributed to Associated Humane Societies for over 30 years and have thought of them, but I do not know of anyone who has gone through them for this situation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
My wife and I have discussed this situation also. Our dogs are very near and dear to our hearts, and we want to be sure they are well cared for and loved after we pass away. The issue is complicated by the fact that we have Great Danes and they have special requirements for their care that deters some from wanting them as pets. We have always assumed that one of us would care for the other's dog, and the chances of both of us dying simultaneously would be remote.

As for why the rescues wouldn't take them, I have no answer for that. I have no clue about their true motivations for anything, and I was even involved with Great Dane rescue as a foster parent for a time. Their adopter rejection rate is extremely high, and the people they reject are often people who have truly good intentions toward the dogs and no issues with dog ownership in the past. Ironically, they also complain about being overwhelmed with dogs, that they need people to adopt them, and "adopt, don't shop." But by rejecting so many families, they are indirectly contributing to the pet overpopulation problem because the families then go straight to breeders to buy the dog they want. I'm sure not all rescues are like that, but many are, thus, that's probably the reason for their attitude toward you.

My suggestion to you is to meet some people who have dogs in your city. There are many ways to do this: through your vet, the animal shelter, your boarding kennel, your Facebook friends, etc. Get to know them, then talk to them about your concerns. You may find just the family you're looking for. Good luck!

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 07-28-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:23 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
DH and I are making new Wills and are having difficulty finding rescues that could take them in the event of our deaths. How is everyone on here dealing with that? Since we only rescue seniors, we looked into senior rescues but they could not guarantee help.

We do not want to burden family with making the decisions, especially since our family members no longer live in the area. Money is not an issue and we can make a very generous donation, which is why I find it interesting that we cannot find a rescue. I have contributed to Associated Humane Societies for over 30 years and have thought of them, but I do not know of anyone who has gone through them for this situation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rescues may not be able to guarantee a spot if they rely on fosters. They will have no way of knowing if they will have a foster available when you pass to take your dogs. I think it is simply a matter of too many dogs and not enough places for them.

In some states, in your will you can set up a trust for your pets so that when you pass there will be money to be used for their expenses.

I seem to recall some veterinary schools may for a donation ($25K maybe??) allow your pets live with vet students.

There may also be some of the larger shelters in your area that have a similar program.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the responses. The local rescues could not guarantee acceptance, so my friend who lives on a farm is taking them just in case something happens. I also checked with their doggie daycare and they have said that they will take them. I just did not want to impose but I also wanted them to be with people who they knew and who loved them. We do have a trust for them so everything is good. Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
If the dogs are up in years, especially if they are special needs and their medicine is expensive, have them PTS'd.

Believe me, it is far better for the safety of the dog than to have promises broken and those poor elder dogs (cats too) get dumped.

My two remaining horses are 20 & 21. One has health issues that cost me in the four digits annually. The other is a horse that is not for the novice or faint of heart. He needs an experienced/fair minded/no fear handler to keep him on the path of honesty. Don't think it isn't in my Will to PTS both of them because it is.

All my cats have been here since they were kittens have made it to eleven, even the barn cats. The same goes for them and my dogs.

If don't outlive them, I don't want someone letting the cats run wild with no food, nor my dogs taken to our shelter, which is a kill shelter. Some use of the word eh?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the response. While my dogs are up in years, my friend will take very good care of them. Luckily, if something happens where she cannot do so, they could continue to live in our home with our petsitter taking them to doggie day care and making sure that they were walked and fed and that the bills were paid and they could do that for the rest of their lives.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
Probate law can get messy. If you want to make will where you would leave certain assets (I.e. house) and funds for your dogs, you might want to review that with a probate attorney to make sure your dogs will get what you want to give. You will be surprised how a family member who first wants nothing changes their mind after the funeral. Also, as much as you trust your friend, you want to make sure the money is going to the dogs and it's accounted for after you are gone. Dogs can't ask for help if the appointed guardian is taking advantage of them.

Some rescues don't want to take your dogs for the reason of the contractual obligation. They will have to assign someone responsible for your funds and the liability is just too great.

I made a deal with my husband that if I pass before them, and he cannot care for them alone, he needs to find them good homes, no matter the age. I can't imagine both of us kicking the bucket the same time, so no will needed.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
I can't imagine both of us kicking the bucket the same time, so no will needed.
Car Accidents are notorious for wiping out families

Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Probate law can get messy. If you want to make will where you would leave certain assets (I.e. house) and funds for your dogs, you might want to review that with a probate attorney to make sure your dogs will get what you want to give. You will be surprised how a family member who first wants nothing changes their mind after the funeral. Also, as much as you trust your friend, you want to make sure the money is going to the dogs and it's accounted for after you are gone. Dogs can't ask for help if the appointed guardian is taking advantage of them.

Some rescues don't want to take your dogs for the reason of the contractual obligation. They will have to assign someone responsible for your funds and the liability is just too great.

I made a deal with my husband that if I pass before them, and he cannot care for them alone, he needs to find them good homes, no matter the age. I can't imagine both of us kicking the bucket the same time, so no will needed.
We do have an excellent attorney and we have a trust. I feel confident that we have made the best provisions, just in case. I certainly hope that we don't leave this earth for a very long time, but I think everything is covered.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I think that plans for your pets in your will is very smart, as is the idea of a trust.

Just don't forget to update your will, when necessary, and to leave care instructions as a supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets