Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times

Advertisements

When I lose a beloved cat (never had dogs as an adult), I want to adopt another one. Not to replace the one that I lost. They can NEVER be replaced. But, to help fill the hole that is left my heart. And by adopting another fur friend, you will be rescuing them from a life in a shelter (or no life at all depending on the shelter) or possibly a life on the streets and giving them a loving home. To me it is a win-win situation.

With all the cats I have lost as an adult, I hold each and every one of them in my heart forever. I will never forget Rocky (who died as a kitten), Snowball-AKA The White One (6 years?), Swatcha (15 years?) , Bear (15 years), Sheena (17 years), Brandy (18 years), & Andy (15 years). As much as I love each of them, that doesn't mean that my heart isn't big enough to love more-like Electra, Elvira, & Josette.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
You're not replacing Kiddo; you're giving another cat a happy home full of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
But, over the last few weeks:
- we found a stray at the office, who ended up going home with another cat-lover in the office
- my mom asked me if I'd take a stray that my cousin found, if it didn't get along with the cousin's other cat
- a cat shelter I follow on Facebook called "West Side Cats" shared a photo of a cat available for adoption that looked a lot like Kiddo.
It seems like a higher power is trying to tell me something.
I think you're right.

Nine years ago, we had an elderly cat with multiple health issues. Two little kittens, scared to death of their own shadows, and us, showed up on our yard. We started leaving food out for then, provided them with shelter outdoors, and eventually brought them in the house when it got cold. We were planning to find a home for them, or place them in a rescuer, until our cat died a few weeks later.

I like to think that higher power knew something we didn't know, or didn't want to acknowledge: that our cat was on his way to the Rainbow Bridge, and that two cats needed a home.

When you're ready, go for it.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 AM

569 posts, read 552,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Until earlier this summer, I had a tortie cat named Little Kid. We found her (she found us, actually) as a stray kitten, and she stayed with my great grandmother for the first 3 years of her life; until my great grandmother passed away. So, I took the cat, and had 14 more great years with her.

Little Kid--or Kiddo--passed away after a short illness in early July. Some people suggested that I run out and get another cat, to help me get over the loss quicker. I didn't want to do that because, IMO, it would just be replacing Kiddo. I mean, if one loses their husband or wife, they don't go out to nightclubs looking for a new husband/wife right away, right?

When people asked if I was going to get another cat, I said I'd consider it, someday, if circumstances put a cat in my life. At the time, I was thinking about a stray that might show up on my front door, begging for food.

But, over the last few weeks:
- we found a stray at the office, who ended up going home with another cat-lover in the office
- my mom asked me if I'd take a stray that my cousin found, if it didn't get along with the cousin's other cat
- a cat shelter I follow on Facebook called "West Side Cats" shared a photo of a cat available for adoption that looked a lot like Kiddo.
It seems like a higher power is trying to tell me something.

If that wasn't enough, I've noticed that I'm getting more stressed out, and more easily aggravated at work. Now, this might really be from dealing with more things that cause stress. But, it might also be caused by not having a little buddy at home to cheer me up, and calm my nerves after work.

Unfortunately, whenever I think about getting another cat, I can't help but feel a little guilty that I'd be abandoning the memory of Kiddo. So, if you're still reading, how did you deal with that?
I had a dog which was raised in my bosom and died in my armfolds, so I knew your feelings.

I didn't think my that perticular pet could be replaced by any one else; be it the better or the worse or another clone. The life is precious and unique in this way.

If you asked me when to get another pet, then my answer was the same to yours: it was when a stray one hit itself on your doors.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:30 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,434,961 times
As others have said you can't "replace" your pet...that pet was unique, one of a kind...but if you loved
and got a lot of enjoyment from that pet you may want to get another, for you, and for the pet's sake.
We had a pekingese we adored, congestive heart failure at 13 ended her life in November of 2007..by
January of 2008 our home seemed so empty I got another peke..this one is male, his coloring is different
and he's about twice the size (maybe a mix, I don't care)...we enjoy him so much. I still remember and
miss our last peke, that will never change.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
I've always had more than one pet, so when one did pass, I still had others around. The thing is with me, only my rats did I buy, one cat I went to the shelter to adopt, and the rest have all come to me. I figure if they came to me, then I guess I'd better take care of them.

If I had only one pet, and that pet passed on, I would take my time to grieve. And to be very honest, HOW the pet passed can make a difference in the grieving process. If I had only Blondie when she died, I'd just about right now be getting ready to consider another, and that was two years ago. But she died violently, and it has taken me a very long time to get over that...I'm still not 100% there, but I would have been able to adopt another at this time.

You don't need to feel guilty. You're not replacing nor forgetting your other pet. What you can do is give what you have to another, who needs you. Think of it that way. Yes, you had a pet that you loved, and that pet passed on, and it hurts, but there's more out there who need that same thing from you. Let them come in to your life and bring you happiness while you bring them happiness and comfort.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:05 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I agree with all the posts so far: you'll know when it's time, and frequently, your next animal will find you.

When my Siamese passed away, I wasn't going to get another cat for awhile because I was thinking about moving ten hours away. I didn't want to subject a kitty to that sort of uprooting, plus I was ready for a quieter cat, although it was generally the Siamese kitties that got my attention.

My catless state lasted about six months. Then one afternoon, I came across an older kitty with big copper eyes and a soft meow. One look, and I was putty in her paws. Fortunately, she has been a pretty good traveler.

It isn't about replacing. It's about giving a homeless animal a home and a family, and they'll reward your efforts in countless ways.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:23 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
I lost my childhood cat of 15 years in Feb of 2014...in March of 2015 I rescued my current cat. I would have gotten one much sooner honestly, but I wasn't looking really. I felt like I should wait for some reason. One day I randomly stopped at the shelter to "just look". I walked in and saw this mangey black and white Maine Coon and it was like I just knew. The other couple in the room was making fun of how ugly she was, but I thought she was perfect. Sydney was not a replacement...I rescued her and she rescued me. She's now brushed and clean and very happy AND sassy. She's perfect for me. I love having pets and I think I am here to give them happy and loving homes for their short time on earth with us.

My mom and dad both say after Gus (our dog) goes there will be no other dog. They said you can't replace him. I guess I don't see it that way. I love Gus, and I loved Sasha. I was heartbroken when he passed, but I knew he had a happy and loving life. I have so much love to give, so I will keep giving it.

There's no timeframe here, it's whenever you're ready.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
I lost my Siamese buddy in traumatic circumstances 2 months ago

I adopted the fat calico i have now about 4 weeks ago.

My therapist said "For Gods sake, get yourself something to look after". And he was right.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:16 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My feeling is that if you have love to give, you should give it to whatever animal needs it. We are pet free right now, but when we get another dog or cat, it will not diminish the love we had for those who have gone before.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Two months ago I lost my best friend due to mast cell tumors. In the following weeks I was really down with grief. I thought no more dogs. During this time I explored Youtube videos looking for something that would console me. I found several video clips that did help. After 2-3 weeks a person I do business with ask me why my dog wasn't in the car with me. I told her he past. She asked if I might be interested in rescuing a mini schnauzer. I agreed to look and when I did I fell in love with another mini schnauzer. She has been with me a month now and I am very happy I found her or she found me.

I believe your Little Kid would want you to give a good home to another pet. You can never abandon good memories and there is always room for new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6gGHGy2xQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets