Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 PM

794 posts, read 818,307 times

Advertisements

My plea to dog owners.

I am a service provider that performs service calls in peoples homes. In the course of my work week, I encounter many dogs. I like dogs, I like all animals.

With that said, PLEASE stop with this "he has to sniff you" nonsense ritual when I ring the bell and you come to the door. No, he doesn't have to sniff me. Not at all. In fact, since I am on the job, he should be put away before I even enter your home. I'm working, I'm not here to play with or meet your dog. There is no reason Fido can't wait for 45 minutes in another room while I work.

When you demand that "he sniff me", what he actually does is lick/slobber on my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone etc, and more often than not - ram his nose hard into my testicles while my hands are full with my tools/Ipad/phone and other work related items I am juggling.

First off, before he got to lick/slobber on my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone, he was in all likelihood licking his own testicles or another animals testicles, and worse yet, his own anus or another animals anus. Now I have to do my work wondering what my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone is contaminated with (as you naturally never offer me a hand washing station after "he sniffs me").

This really sucks for me.

After the hand droll comes the nose to the testicles. This is degrading and often slightly painful. I don't know and I don't care why you allow this, it just needs to stop already. I don't care that it's only a second or two that he does this, the fact that he does it is awful for me.

Think about it this way - your home is my workplace. I am working. I am not there to play with, meet, or care about your dog. I am sure he's totally awesome, but again, I am working and I have a task to complete for you in that capacity. The dog does not need to be involved. Would it really be that devastating to him or you to just keep us separated for the brief time I am there? Like, just suppose for a minute he didn't get to sniff me... (oh the humanity, I know)... would his little doggy world view just come crashing down all around him? Would yours? Would he or you need therapy to work through the horror of sniff denial?

He does not need to sniff me, and I shouldn't have to play along. I implore you to knock off whatever this actually is (personal power trip? Misplaced worry for your dogs very temporary psychological well being? Whatever it is - it's not necessary). Just stop.

I will let you in on the fact that your insistence that I get drooled on and nut tapped often costs you money. I am very good at playing along like nothing is wrong, but inside I am pissed and I often take it out on you by finding extra ways to charge you. Sometimes by a whole lot.

Thanks for reading, and please consider what I wrote before making your arguments as to why I should just accept it, it's your home, etc. I know all the arguments certain delusional dog owners have as to why the way they and their dogs interact with others is just perfect. Just at least consider what I wrote and what I am requesting. It's not unreasonable.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Find a new career because people are not going to change how they are with their pets.
You may be providing a service but you are in their home.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 PM

794 posts, read 818,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Find a new career because people are not going to change how they are with their pets.
You may be providing a service but you are in their home.
No, I am not going to find a new career. That's as dumb as me saying "buy a new appliance as no service provider is going to accept drools and nut taps".

The customer called me for help, I did not ask to come over to their home for social time. By your logic, should I also expect the customer to do everything else they'd do in their home while I am there? Walk around in their underwear? Beat their kids? Is there no line at all just because "it's their home"? Of course not.

Be realistic please, it's not much I am asking for and it may even save you a few bucks.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:14 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Sorry but I am a lifetime owner of guard dogs and I am Mr. Maryland's side.

It is stupidly rude to think the professional person coming to your home to make needed repairs, wants to be licked to death and sniffed in the butt by somebody's Poopsie.

As I said, I have big dogs who also have a job. They are well trained to stay behind a baby gate in another room. They know not to knock the gate over unless I scream. It is a win-win for everyone. I don't allow the repair person to pet my dogs, even if that person asks.

Keep your dogs in the bedroom so the professional can quickly repair whatever needs fixed and be on his way to the next service call clean and not smelling like your dog.

On top of that, the person may have allergies and can't tolerate having the dog near him/her.

Show some courtesy and respect for the repair person.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:24 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

It is stupidly rude to think the professional person coming to your home to make needed repairs, wants to be licked to death and sniffed in the butt by somebody's Poopsie.
Totally agree.

Anytime a service person is in our home, the dogs either go outside or into another room. Is it really such a big deal to show someone some courtesy like that?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
I agree with the OP. I am the first one to love someone elses dog and most people who come into my house do the same with my dog.

Last week a person had to come into our home to talk to us about some work to be done and Obie walked near to him, about a foot away. He did not touch him or sniff him or anything of the like. No contact.

I could tell the man was uncomfortable so Obie and I sat out on the deck for a little while. I am sure the guy appreciated it because I could tell his obvious discomfort of Obie getting a foot away from him....

Now when I go to a friend of ours house to visit, they have a couple of dogs who are all over you and just do not stop the whole time you are there.

This is different. That is their home. I do not have to go there and when I do, I know what is going to happen. I am not there to do a job and I can either not go there or leave when I want. Do I wish they would get their dogs some training? Yes. Do I mind terribly? No. I love dogs!!

Old 11-17-2015, 06:29 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
I know I would not like my work clothes to be covered in slobber and dog hair every day. I get the OPs point.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
I agree with OP and others who have chimed in.

When a service professional comes in my home, my dog is contained in another room. It's a much less stressful for all involved.

The same goes if I have visitors who are not fond of dogs. I love my dog dearly, but I understand others do not and I respect that. It does not cause him harm to be contained in a different room away from guests.

I once was a guest at a home with a rather large dog. At the end of the evening, I left with a torn sweater, bruises and scratches. The dog was not mean but was poorly trained and played very roughly. While I was sitting on the couch, she constantly ran circles around the room - jumping up on the couch, walking over me and back down again. In one pass she had a rawhide bone in her mouth, which hit me in the face.

Needless to say, that was the one and only time I visited that person in their home.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
No, I am not going to find a new career. That's as dumb as me saying "buy a new appliance as no service provider is going to accept drools and nut taps".

The customer called me for help, I did not ask to come over to their home for social time. By your logic, should I also expect the customer to do everything else they'd do in their home while I am there? Walk around in their underwear? Beat their kids? Is there no line at all just because "it's their home"? Of course not.

Be realistic please, it's not much I am asking for and it may even save you a few bucks.
So you voluntarily go into someone's home because you said yes to their request for a service to be provided.
Humans don't care about anyone other than themselves and your whining on a public forum has so far accomplished what so far? Nothing and it will accomplish nothing because no one is going to change how they treat their animals when a service person is there. Accept that fact because for some there is no line because it is their home, whether you think their actions are appropriate or not.

Obviously you being a service provider does "accept drools and nut taps" because you continue to be a service provider. If you did not accept this behavior you would not be doing this job.

You are the one who is not being realistic.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you voluntarily go into someone's home because you said yes to their request for a service to be provided.
Humans don't care about anyone other than themselves and your whining on a public forum has so far accomplished what so far? Nothing and it will accomplish nothing because no one is going to change how they treat their animals when a service person is there. Accept that fact because for some there is no line because it is their home, whether you think their actions are appropriate or not.

Obviously you being a service provider does "accept drools and nut taps" because you continue to be a service provider. If you did not accept this behavior you would not be doing this job.

You are the one who is not being realistic.

The OP simply stated his reality, asked a favor of those who enable this, and even said Thanks. I think you are being a tad harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets