Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 03:01 PM

490 posts, read 837,899 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a place on the 2nd floor which has an uncovered balcony. The front has wooden beams that are spaced out about 3-4 inches apart, with a gap at the bottom about 4 inches. The sides and floor are stucco/concrete, and the top is open concept with large wooden beams across it. The door leading to the balcony is the large sliding window type.

I've been wanting to let my dog and cat go out there freely, through the doggie door, to enjoy an additional space outside, even during rainy days, but need a way to keep them protected from the rain when out there, and also keep the cat from possibly getting to too close to the edge of the balcony or up onto the beams overhead (it's possible for him to get up onto the overhead beams if I put patio furniture out there, and he could end up on the roof after that).

I've thought about some idea setup where there is a tunnel from the doggie door out to a see through structure where they can lay around and enjoy while being protected from rain. Sort of like a greenhouse for pets?

I don't know what other solutions are available but would appreciate some tips.

I thought about a tarp or something over the overhead beams but there would be some gaps where the tarp ends and the outside balcony wall begins, which would likely cause the balcony floor to become wet. I may need something more flush and water tight than that. Plus there would be issues relating to properly angling it to drain the rain properly.

As for the concern about the cat escaping or getting himself in trouble, I've thought about using some material like used for screen doors.. maybe a pull-down type of screen that I can use to block the top and front of the balcony off.

At this point I'm not sure what the best solution would be... any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 AM

181 posts, read 493,616 times
If you're a renter, you'd probably need permission for any modifications. Even if you're a condo owner, there are restrictions on what you have the right to do on exterior balconies. Check your renter's or condo agreement first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets