Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times

Advertisements

As a former volunteer, not saying monetary donations are useless... in fact, they are very much needed at any and all pet rescues. However, if you really want to make sure what you donate goes to the right places (pockets, to be more specific), you can also donate your services (cleaning or if you know how to paint, photography, etc), papertowels, blankets, kitty litter, kitten milk replacer, etc. Fostering also helps the rescue/shelter a lot as fosters are always in high demand and in short supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I agree with supporting local rescues and shelters -- but remember, dear friend, that local shelters also need to pay the electric bill, they need to buy stamps and paper and copier toner, and they need to pay someone to do their accounting and bookkeeping. Those are all administrative expenses.

Don't begrudge a nonprofit its administrative costs, as long as those administrative costs are in line with its overall budget. Usually 20 percent or less is considered acceptable. Most nonprofits have posted their tax returns and audits online, or on a site such as GuideStar. The forms will specify the percentage of budget spent on administrative costs. Or you can call and ask.

Thanks for supporting animal rescues!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:56 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Just don't get sucked in by the national level ASPCA. I posted earlier about my research into that organization. It's SO shocking how much their Director earns. Just today I received a donation solicitation letter from them. I really find the national level ASPCA's solicitation in areas where they do not serve to be flat out immoral and disgusting. They are taking food and shelter away from animals outside of the NYC/NJ area, so their solicitation practices are actually HARMFUL to animals. This issue drives me completely crazy. And then I get another mailing from them and I get aggravated all over again.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 05-08-2016 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Pets are dying trapped in houses out in Ft Mac, Alberta with the HUGE forest fires burning the city down.

I am sickened to think about it.

C'mon fellow pet lovers, PLEASE GIVE like I and my husband did.

Here is the link to donate towards rescue efforts. Welcome to The Fort McMurray SPCA

It is a very easy process with either your credit card or a bank withdrawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets