U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

1,637 posts, read 923,056 times

Advertisements

What do you think?
Do piggies make a good pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Depends on a few criteria, is it going to be a micro pig that never gets bigger than an average size dog? is it going to be kept in the house or in an outside stall/barn,?
What do you do with it if it gets to be 400lbs -600lbs+?
In the right circumstances it could be a good pet.

Theres pet pigs=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...05_468x312.jpg

then theres pet pigs=
http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp...e-derek-11.jpg

Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
There is NO SUCH thing as a micro pig! The smallest ones get to about 100 lbs. Breeders will tell you anything to get you to buy. Their "recommended" diet is basically starvation so the pig doesn't grow. You have to check your city's restrictions as many don't permit them. Many people love their pigs but they can be stubborn and destructive. Do your research carefully and visit some pig Facebook pages.

Oh, and that first pig in the link above is a baby.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
At first i referred to the little pigs as pygmy pigs but then read this article after which i edited the pygmy to micro.
Micro pigs for sale | Petpiggies
How big they grow i have no idea but i have read stories of people buying micro pigs and the animal doesnt stay micro for long as was the case for the people in that second link,their story=https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e...rm-sanctuary#/.

I'll second the need for careful research before buying this kind of pet.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,827,997 times
Some pictures showed micro/mini cups as piglets. Here is what they look like when they are full
grown (of course some will vary in size).

The Truth About Micro, Mini & Tea Cup Pigs | Petpiggies

Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM

7,175 posts, read 4,088,362 times
Don't get a pig as a pet unless you live in a rural area zoned for livestock. It's just asking for trouble.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,118,808 times
Pigs, in general, are very intelligent. They can be trained in the same way dogs are trained.
Large pigs are destructive, due to their size. They can loosen a fence post just by using it to scratch their butt.
Flip side, they eat anyhing, which can reduce your garbage stink and volume.
They are also destructive to yards at any size as they root for food. For some that may be great because they do an excellent job of tilling the soil. Anywhere a pig has rooted, vegetation grows back with more vigor.
If you have the time and space for a pig, they are fun and amusing pets.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Seriously? Unless you have a farm, it's a bad idea. Pigs grow until they die. A pet pig could live 10-15-20 years.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
would a pig make a good pet?

have you ever considered adopting a 2 yr old child?
have you ever considered adopting a 2 yr old child who weighs almost as much as you do, is about as ingeligent as you and is prone to mood swings?
have you ever considered adopting a 2 yr old child whos part bulldozer?

do you like dealing with people who can be a little tempermental
do you enjoy the sound of screaming?
are you ok if your lawn looks like a battle zone mine field?

if you answer yes to these...then a piggy might make a good pet...

first let me say, FORGET anything and everything you have ever sen or read about "micro" and "teacup pigs"
they simply don't exist, MINI pigs are miniaturized versions of potbellies (or minuturized verions of normal "farm" pigs) they ave been selectively bred for a much smaller size...however those adorable little hings in a teacup are NEWBORNS...and any breeder guaranteeing those little pigs "wont get more than 40lbs" are talking out of their butts...
miniature pigs are SMALL (compared to pigs...) howver they are not light weight....a properly sized miniature pig will only be about as tall as a cocker spaniel...however will still weigh 60-80lbs...most get above 100lbs full grown...and yes, that's till mini...
most people wont guess they wight that much because they are SHORT...but they are WIDE AND POWERFUL...

that brings me to my next point, these are POWERFUL animals...a 60lb mini pig has the pushing strength of an animal 4 times that size (they are built like bulldozers) they are physically designed to PUSH...you will not out push a pig...they can be hard on fencing, and can be quite destructive, they LOVE to dig (looking for roots and bugs) and will destroy a lawn in minutes, and will happily lift things you never even thought possible...they need specialized housing when your ot home to supervise, this brings me to my next point

THEY ARE SMART...and smart animals get bored...EASILY...pigs get bored 10 times easier than a toddler...and when a pig is bored...they tend to get themselves in trouble...they get destrictive...chewing, knocking things over, destroying things, eating things they shouldn't (well come bac to that one) a bored pig can also become mentally problematic getting anxious or even aggressive, they require ALOT of mental stimulation...this is an animal designed by nature to spend every waking moment DIGGING in the dirty walking miles a day on the search for food...a bored pig is a problematic pig.

Food...pigs are led by their tummies which are directy connected to their noses...thought that pack of cookies in the rawer was safe...nope...your pig will eventually find the draw...and if he cant figure out how to open the draw hell simply destroy whatever the drawer is attatched too...they quickly learn to open cabinet doors, raid trashcans, and open the refridgerator...
unfortunately pigs don't realy have a very good idea of the difference between whats good for them and whats not...surgery to remove bowle obstruction in pet pigs and poisoning are COMMON emergency room visits for piggy parents...

they are also illegal to keep as pets in many places.

IF you decide to get a pet pig first do your homework...is it legal? do you have time and money for a pig...this is a long term ommitment...

youll be rewarded...pigs are smart, social and loving to those who earn it...they'll spend their days snuggling with you and making you laugh....

but, there will be days when you ask yourself WTF you were thinking...

some things to also remember...

piglets are NOT weaned until 8 weks minimum...
Bottle raised piglets do not nessciarly make better pets (and bottle raising can KILL piglets as they aspirate easily...) don't bring home an unweaned piglet, and don't give your money to anyone who wants to sell an unweaned piglet...these are not breeders they are greeders...
learn how to identify an 8 week old piglet too, many greeders lie about their piggies ages so they can sell them younger (and thus smaller) making them seem like they ill be much smaller than they are...

Piglets are not full grown until 3 yrs old...yup, just because that momma pig ha her babies doesn't mean that's as big a they will get...if momma and daddy arnt 3 yrs old, they are STILL GROWING...think about that when considering size...
Most geeders also lie about parents age, again a 1 yr old 60lb female looks much better when selling "Micro minis" than a 100lb 3 yr old...
your piggy too will continue growing until 3 yrs old...

Momma pigs shoudlnt be bred until at the learliest 1 yr old...6-8 mth olf females should not be having babies...

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PIGGY....
inact pigs are something only breeders should have...it realy is that simple.
female pigs go through the same heat cycle as humans, once a month she will go through heat during that time she will become aggressive and want to be bred (humping and chasin antyhgin that might seem suitable (that includes you) when thigns don't go her way she will bite and scream and generally have tantrums...
intact male pigs are generally DANGEROUS...they are always looking for love and anything will do...their large tusks can tear through flesh and they don't take no as an answer...they also become INCREDIBLY foul smelling with a strong skunk like odor (starts at about 10 eeks) and will hump and pee on EVERYTHING....
males can be neutered farm style very early or done by a vet at any age.
females should be spayed like a dog, by a vet after 12 weeks of age.
don't think because hes only 13 inches tall he cant seriously hurt you...HE WILL!

Watch for greeders...
bottle/pan feeding should be reerved for emergencies, piglets are never weaned and ready at 4 weeks, and a good breeder wont send a bottle baby home...watch for fad terms ike micros, and "guarentees" they cant keep (ie ill only grow x big, then when you call them in 3 yrs about your 100lb pig they say "you fed it too much") ect.

pigs are INCREDIBLY creatures...and in the right homes make wonderful companions, smarter than dogs cleaner than cats, usually great for folks with allergies....
BUT, they arnt for every home or every person....

we breed minis...pigs hold a special place for me, and we love our pigs...but theres definatly a lot to consider before bringing home a pig.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:00 PM

6,784 posts, read 3,766,204 times
Good pet? IDK.. They do make great sandwiches though. ( I kid )

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-14-2016 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or