U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,550,710 times

Advertisements

I've seen similar articles and there are many knowledgeable folks here on CD who have been saying the same thing.

Lifelong Immunity: Why Are Vets Pushing Back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:43 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,753,584 times
You would have to change state law. Most mandate rabies for dogs, not sure abut cats. When I lived in Utah, 3 yrs was the standard. Moved to TX, now it's every year.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,550,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You would have to change state law. Most mandate rabies for dogs, not sure abut cats. When I lived in Utah, 3 yrs was the standard. Moved to TX, now it's every year.
You're right and the vet lobby would never let it change. We have to have regular vaccines to board our pets or even groom them and some vets won't see them without. I have a vet who says she is required by law to tell me the law and then nothing more is said. She knows we lost two cats to injection site cancers.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,558,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Rabies Challenge is the first step to doing precisely that. About the Rabies Challenge Fund - Rabies Challenge Fund

Old 05-13-2016, 08:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 730,625 times
This has been a battle for me to convince other dog owners that annual vaccinations are unnecessary, the side effects are common, and it cost money to those I know are already struggling with bills. But it was my word and research articles versus the vet's word, and they win every time. I get so upset and frustrated because these vets know about the new AAHA and AVMA guidelines, they know annual vaccinations are not beneficial to pets, and yet they take advantage of their clients and persuade them to get the shots.

One good example is what happened recently to my friend. She adores her little dog and have anxiety issues. She worries for her dog's health, and who doesn't for those who own dogs? She went to her vet with the sole intention of getting the yearly required rabies shot and exam. Nothing more. She receives a very limited income.

During the visit, the vet tech (it's usually a vet tech, assistant or sales rep, not the vet) first talks to her and asked her very vague questions, such as "does your dog have ANY interactions with other dogs in the neighborhood?". Of course, she answered. The tech's suggestion? Her dog needs the bordetella vaccine. Bordetella shots are for kennel cough, which dogs usually catch in crowded, indoor environment housed with other dogs. This is why groomers, daycare centers and kennels recommend this shot. My friend's dog was not a candidate and yet, they pushed for it and tricks her into thinking it's needed.

This is one of the reasons why some people distrust their vet. If they want what's best for the animals, then do so by educating and helping the client, instead of taking advantage of their trust.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,698,937 times
ive been titer testing for years, only shot we do regularly now is rabies every 3 years because its required by law...

Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 PM

7,156 posts, read 4,082,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
The Rabies Challenge is the first step to doing precisely that. About the Rabies Challenge Fund - Rabies Challenge Fund
I'm glad to see this study is being done! When it comes to other vaccines, relying on titer levels is fine, but not with rabies. Given that rabies is a zoonotic disease that's essentially 100% fatal and that mandatory immunization of dogs and cats against rabies is done first and foremost as a public safety measure, we need to KNOW, not just assume, that vaccine intervals longer than three years are effective. And challenge studies are the only way to determine that.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 1,558,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm glad to see this study is being done! When it comes to other vaccines, relying on titer levels is fine, but not with rabies. Given that rabies is a zoonotic disease that's essentially 100% fatal and that mandatory immunization of dogs and cats against rabies is done first and foremost as a public safety measure, we need to KNOW, not just assume, that vaccine intervals longer than three years are effective. And challenge studies are the only way to determine that.
I urge everyone who cares about this issue to consider donating to the Rabies Challenge fund and to spread the word among their fellow dog owners. This study is primarily donation driven which renders it vastly more difficult to fund. From their website: "This project depends primarily upon grassroots gifts for funding the costs of conducting the requisite vaccine trials. Our contributions to date have come mostly from kennel clubs and private individuals. The Rabies Challenge Fund Charitable Trust is a federally registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization [Fed. EIN # 84-6390682]."

Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,975,522 times
AVMA and the states have been in bed together for decades. It won't change over night. I use AAHA guidelines for vaccines. Thankfully I'm in an area that doesn't ask questions about vaccines of any kind, including rabies, unless an issue comes up.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,636,232 times
My vet does not want to give a three-year rabies vaccine. Unfortunately, my dog is very anxious and going to the vet is very stressful for him. He's not due for another rabies vaccine until January, and I'm considering just finding another vet who will do it every three years instead of every year. This vet also insists upon yearly vaccines for everything else, along with twice-yearly kennel cough vaccines. (I'm ignoring the postcards for the kennel cough... my dog won't ever be boarded due to his anxiety, so it's really a non-issue for us.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or