U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,390,199 times

Advertisements

My dog is almost 20 years old and takes a small, daily dose of meds. Our current vet insists on an office visit and blood work before renewing his prescription (he's been taking these meds for almost 10 years). They require these checkups and blood work every couple of months in order to renew his prescription.

My problem is that I am terribly afraid of taking him back to the vet. He's so old and fragile that trips to the vet stress my dog so much that his blood pressure drops so much that they often don't get enough blood to run the blood work. Not to mention how many times they have to poke him to find veins to attempt to draw blood. After these appointments he often sleeps more than usual for a few days afterwards... almost like he doesn't have much energy left. I have expressed my concerns to my vet, however he will not budge on renewing his prescription without this visit. I even asked out them making a house-call, but they don't do that.

I've tried calling nearby vets and they have mentioned the same thing about needing a checkup. Anyone experience something similar? What can I do? Unfortunately, going off his meds aren't an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM

9,548 posts, read 10,862,035 times
Some vets do make house calls. Check vets who treat large animals as they always do. Old dogs are like ld people. Change can upset them terribly.

If all else fails, check online to see if they're available. Unless laws have changed, you can buy veterinary drugs without a prescription.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 AM

Unfortunately, my nearby vets do not make house calls (even the large animal one). And websites like 1800petmeds even require vet approval for purchasing meds online.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM

9,548 posts, read 10,862,035 times
I found this website that offers drugs without prescription.

Pets Meds | Buy Meds Online No Prescription

Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm going to pass on that website... they have some sketchy ratings online. I would hate to get unsafe meds from an online store like that.

Thanks for trying, though.

Anyone else have any ideas what I could do?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:43 PM

6,088 posts, read 2,809,893 times
If the vet is saying that its required to have the blood work, then call a shelter. they have staff that can draw blood at your home for a small fee.

Most times the Vet is accountable for seeing the pet and checking its overall health to see if its even worth to prescribe the set drug. A change in brand or dosage can also be another reason.

I understand your concern for your pet. Hopefully you can understand that a vet has to be assured the pet is A - still a live and be, is still progressing with the meds.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks Nov3. I will see if someone from a nearby shelter can make a house visit. I completely understand that my vet has to follow protocol. We absolutely love our vet. They have done so well with my dog for such a long time. Just wish they had more options for senior pets :/

Old 05-26-2016, 06:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,990,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
My dog is almost 20 years old and takes a small, daily dose of meds. Our current vet insists on an office visit and blood work before renewing his prescription (he's been taking these meds for almost 10 years). They require these checkups and blood work every couple of months in order to renew his prescription.

My problem is that I am terribly afraid of taking him back to the vet. He's so old and fragile that trips to the vet stress my dog so much that his blood pressure drops so much that they often don't get enough blood to run the blood work. Not to mention how many times they have to poke him to find veins to attempt to draw blood. After these appointments he often sleeps more than usual for a few days afterwards... almost like he doesn't have much energy left. I have expressed my concerns to my vet, however he will not budge on renewing his prescription without this visit. I even asked out them making a house-call, but they don't do that.

I've tried calling nearby vets and they have mentioned the same thing about needing a checkup. Anyone experience something similar? What can I do? Unfortunately, going off his meds aren't an option.
Options, plain and simple, are get some Ace from your vet before leaving and dose the dog so it doesn't stress as much, find a mobile vet that will come to you or put your dog to sleep. They do that blood work to make sure vital organs aren't being destroyed by the medication and that levels aren't building too high. That blood work is just as important as the medication is.

For the record, I had a dog that was almost 22 years old when we lost her. She still went to the vet. She didn't like it, but she went and was fine.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:51 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,731,988 times
keep calling every vets number you can find until you can find one that makes house calls...or keep calling your vet, explain the situation over and over and over and over...eventually you might be able to get a tech to agree to come out and pull blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or