U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM

4,367 posts, read 2,493,030 times

Advertisements

I have a male, dwarf lionhead rabbit, who's 7 years old. Over the last few days he's been doing this odd, sort of twitching movement with his front paws.

I've never noticed him doing this before. It's hard to describe but it's like a digging movement, but he's not digging anything on the ground, he's doing it with his paws out in front of him. He keeps repeating it, every so often.

He's still eating his food, as normal, but he looks a bit smaller than he used to. Can I put it down to old age or does anyone think there's something wrong with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 PM

11 posts, read 7,735 times
I don't know much about rabbits. Just wanted to give you a virtual hug, and say I hope your bunny's fine!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 PM

324 posts, read 180,627 times
Hmm....hard to say. My rabbits used to do a twitching things with their front feet right before they started to bath themselves. Like they were making sure there was no dirt on them before they cleaned themselves. If poop and pee is good, you might consider getting a small scale to weigh him periodically to check on weight. I would also check the nails and feet to make sure there isn't any foot issues.

A good resource is rabbit dot org, the house rabbit society, they have lots of info and articles! good luck!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:23 PM

1,401 posts, read 839,997 times
As a former owner of many, many rabbits over the years, I can't really even guess as to what this could be. My only suggestion is to take him for a quick medical checkup to rule out anything serious, esp. if he looks "smaller" to you. It might be neurological, or a response to pain somewhere in his body, or...I really don't know. But he definitely needs to be looked at by a professional.

Hoping the best for your boy...

Old 06-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlove11 View Post
I don't know much about rabbits. Just wanted to give you a virtual hug, and say I hope your bunny's fine!
Thanks very much - that's really kind of you.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpie1968 View Post
Hmm....hard to say. My rabbits used to do a twitching things with their front feet right before they started to bath themselves. Like they were making sure there was no dirt on them before they cleaned themselves. If poop and pee is good, you might consider getting a small scale to weigh him periodically to check on weight. I would also check the nails and feet to make sure there isn't any foot issues.

A good resource is rabbit dot org, the house rabbit society, they have lots of info and articles! good luck!
Yes, my rabbits do that before cleaning themselves too. That's a good idea about getting some small weighing scales to weigh them. Thanks for the info about that website too.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
As a former owner of many, many rabbits over the years, I can't really even guess as to what this could be. My only suggestion is to take him for a quick medical checkup to rule out anything serious, esp. if he looks "smaller" to you. It might be neurological, or a response to pain somewhere in his body, or...I really don't know. But he definitely needs to be looked at by a professional.

Hoping the best for your boy...
Thanks. Unfortunately my rabbit has become weak on his legs now. My husband is taking him to the vets tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 7,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately my rabbit has become weak on his legs now. My husband is taking him to the vets tomorrow.
Best wishes for a good outcome!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlove11 View Post
Best wishes for a good outcome!
Thanks, but sadly, in the morning before we were going to take our rabbit to the vets, we found that he had died. The only consolation is that he had died in his little bedroom area, rather than at the vets.

I wish that pets had the same life expectancy as humans.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 AM

324 posts, read 180,627 times
I am so sorry to hear about your rabbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or