Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Certainly if I had a pet who ran out the door at any opportunity, I'd say something. (I had a pug who did that, and two young kids at the same time. Can't tell you how much time I spent chasing that damn dog, and her laughing at me the whole time!)

Right now I have a big rambunctious young dog who might bowl you over when you walk in, so I rein him in and warn visitors.

I also have a psycho cat who might attack if someone tries to pet him or pick him up, so overnight people get a very serious "ignore the cat!" recommendation.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
There are people who don't have pets? Say it ain't so!
Exactly. Who are these petless creatures? I know of no such individuals. Anyway, regarding my two Great Danes and guests, everyone must all get along, and everyone does because my dogs love the people we welcome into our home. They are not obnoxious or in everyone's faces and are low energy, so they don't try to escape or anything. They have a giant doggie door so they let themselves in and out of the backyard. They are only allowed to sleep in the living room on one of the couches or in their crates, and whether the guest bedroom door is open or not, they know they can't go in, so they stay in the living room at night until precisely 7:18 AM, when my pudgy Dane pokes her head into my bedroom or office door to remind me it's time for breakfast

Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,100 times
Well I don't know anyone who just randomly leaves the front/back door open, so there's no issue there. I have a lock on my back gate so they can't get out of the backyard and if the front door is open long enough for them to get out, they won't go anywhere. Otherwise my rare visitors have all been pet owners themselves so were fine with the dogs wandering around. My dogs are pretty chill, they're initially really excited when people come over but then they go off and do their own thing. They love getting pets and being played with too. One time when my aunt and uncle came over I leashed them at first because my aunt is allergic to dogs and I didn't want them to jump on her, once the initial "yay new people!" wore off I unleashed them and they were fine. I'd be ok with doing that if someone who was allergic or afraid of dogs came over again.

ETA that my dogs also sleep in my bedroom so they won't bother any guests late at night. One time my friend was visiting with her dog and he came to the door at 6am wanting to play with my dog....punk!!

Last edited by blind spot; 08-16-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
You can explain it but I GUARANTEE you you're wasting your time if you think you can DEPEND on them.

As a pet sitter I can't tell you how many times I've heard this.

Just last week a lady called me - SHE failed to shut her dog up in a bedroom during a party, a guest left the door "open" and the dog escaped, BIT and seriously injured the next door neighbor's unleashed dog who happened to be out at the mailbox with the neighbor - a little Maltese yapping who ran up towards her dog, and animal control was going to confiscate the dog. A pit bull no less.

A bite is a mandatory 10 day quarantine by law but this was being treated much more seriously because of the severity of the injury.

Treat it as if there were a 2 year old wandering around.

I'd put a DEAD BOLT LOCK on with a key. They want to come and go? They need to see you.

NOT KIDDING, either.

IF you can't confine your pets for the duration. The best solution if it's two days or something is to put a big gate up that nobody will disturb that the dog can't jump. IF it's a dog.

Other options. Tie your dog to your waist on a huge leash. They sell them all the way up to 30 ft! LOL

I know you think I'm kidding but I'm not.

If they're cats, confine in a locked bedroom.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:38 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
When you have company (overnight visitors), especially those who do not have animals of their own, do you explain the house rules regarding pets to your guests and expect that they follow the house rules?
I wouldn't ever put it like that, "house rules." I would just explain that it's a potential problem, and then work very hard to keep an eye on the situation. If they saw me jumping up to get the door shut fairly quickly (without making any verbal complaint), I think they'd absorb the gravity of the situation pretty fast.

My greater concern is inadvertently inflicting my wife's dog on visitors who dislike dogs. Since I greatly dislike dogs (however, for the sake of marital harmony, we have one, and when I agreed to that, I accepted a duty to humaneness, etc.), there are a lot of houses I just will not go to at all due to their dogs and tendency to inflict them on visitors. Absolutely their right and privilege, their dogs live there, I do not, the dogs have all the rights, I have none, totally get it, but it means I'm not going there. So when people come over, I make sure they know that it's okay to say if they don't like dogs, and that if they do not, we will work hard to make sure the dog does not bother them. In short, I do for them as I would like others to do for me.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I cannot stand to go to someone's house and they let their dog jump on me, jump up in my lap when I sit down, lick me, stick their nose up my butt, etc. A person should put their dog up when company comes over until they are sure that the guest is fine with having a dog all over them. I am not.

Can you tell I am a cat person? Even so, a person should not allow their cats to jump on anyone unless they know the guest is ok with it.

Another thing I can't stand is when people go to someone else's house (who does not like animals in the house) and they take their dogs with them, take them in the host's house without even asking, let them run all over the place, jump on the furniture, jump on other people, etc. That is just rude in the extreme. And I would say the same for cats in this case also.

Dogs and cats are not humans - they are not children.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
If you want to come spend the night at my house, you will have to put up with the animals who live here. Chances are, I like them a LOT more than I like whoever might be visiting. I don't have a lot of rules when it comes to my pets, the cats have absolutely no desire to go outside, so I don't worry about them darting out if a door is left open. All the doors leading outside also lead to a fenced yard, so if the dogs get out, no big deal. The biggest thing is, the cats live in our second bedroom, so if you spend more than one night, you may have company in bed at some point.

Basically, if you don't like animals, don't come.

well said I did buy the house for 2 dogs not guest who wish them boarded

Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I cannot stand to go to someone's house and they let their dog jump on me, jump up in my lap when I sit down, lick me, stick their nose up my butt, etc. A person should put their dog up when company comes over until they are sure that the guest is fine with having a dog all over them. I am not.
I wouldn't go to people's houses who have dogs if I were you. You can't always stop a dog from sitting on someone's lap. Even more of a challenge when you have multiple dogs. And remember that furniture belongs to the dogs. They are the residents. Not you.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 AM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
I dont have pets because I dont wish to clean up after them (excrement and/or hair) and dont want to deal with the noise they make

Old 08-17-2016, 07:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Can you tell I am a cat person? Even so, a person should not allow their cats to jump on anyone unless they know the guest is ok with it.

Another thing I can't stand is when people go to someone else's house (who does not like animals in the house) and they take their dogs with them, take them in the host's house without even asking, let them run all over the place, jump on the furniture, jump on other people, etc. That is just rude in the extreme. And I would say the same for cats in this case also.

Dogs and cats are not humans - they are not children.
Negative. Sure, dogs and cats aren't people, but if you are a guest in my house, you will have to put up with my Great Danes and all the hugs and fur that go along with them. If you're not OK with them, don't come by. They are trained not to be obnoxious and are better behaved than many dogs. They never jump up and certainly don't get in anyone's lap, but I don't put them up to ease any discomfort on the guest's part and always forewarn any guests I'm expecting that I have two giant dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wouldn't go to people's houses who have dogs if I were you. You can't always stop a dog from sitting on someone's lap. Even more of a challenge when you have multiple dogs. And remember that furniture belongs to the dogs. They are the residents. Not you.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets