U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2016, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,434 posts, read 52,425,333 times
Reputation: 70405

Advertisements

Because my collies are worth it.

They are just too good to pass up.

My kids and my maids have destroyed this house way more than the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,569 posts, read 8,397,883 times
Reputation: 29130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because my collies are worth it.

They are just too good to pass up.


My kids and my maids have destroyed this house way more than the dogs.
Same with my Danes. I wouldn't want another breed. They have so many "Great" things about them-laid back, easy to train and housebreak, pretty healthy, little grooming, sweet and gentle, good watchdogs, not yappy or nervous, very loving, I could go on. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,290 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Reputation: 53256
I have three long haired pets. Howie our older dog gets buzzed twice a year. He's miserable with all that hair. Monsoon our black cat is the worst. His hair is every where. Joe Joe Nightmare is a Yorkie with long hair and I'm going to have him groomed for the first time soon.

Yes the hair is a lot of work. We have a large swiffer duster and no carpet in the house so it's easy to pick up the hair. Then there's poo poo patrol every day sometimes twice a day. That's worse then the hair.

Why do I put up with it? Probably because I just can't breath without having pets. I would have more if John wasn't so opposed. There are so many wonderful, loving animals out there being destroyed because people are to unwilling to be mildly inconvenienced. I wish I could take them all.

Yes it's work, but it's also part of my evil plan to keep us off of the sofa and up moving around. One look in those big brown eyes and I'm gone, so is some of the belly fat after our long walkies. Lazy people find it hard to have pets, but for me they're so worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM
 
965 posts, read 500,690 times
Reputation: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
thanks for the well-written post and advice. yes this is a life lesson for me - never pet sit again. 5 days to go

i did clean it up the moment he finished peeing

i brush him every time i take him out so 2x/day. however i only brush him for ~10min which i think is a lot. i asked a friend who has a german shepherd and he said i need to be brushing for almost an hour, true?
Oh an hour might not even make a dent I would ask the owner if you could drop the dog off at a groomer to help with the shedding, but...... If you don't get a really good groomer (who blows out the entire undercoat) all they will do is clean the dog, and loosen the hair, and it will be more shedding/ worse for you.

If the dog has a crate there put him in it after you brush /comb him, oh and try to get him to shake off (loose hair) outside first. If no crate, try the garage, just 5 minutes will do.
After the short time in the crate,mor garage, run him straight outside to shake again, and you will have lost some of the shedding coat. As you are grooming the dog you are loosening the coat (good for the dog, bad for you).

I get my dogs to shake off by rubbing them with a towel like I do after I bathe them. Get him to shake off as often as possible.

Oh and you can be very thankful that you didn't make the mistake of taking on a big, very hairy breed as your own. Now you know, and this experience was probably worth a LOT!

Last edited by simplepeace; 08-19-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,135,279 times
Reputation: 17199
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
if you are asking why i'm asking it's because i'm dog-sitting a friends dog for a week and it's sheds like crazy. i just moved into a new house ($600k+) less than 6 months ago and i feel like my house is getting destroyed. yes i do feel like this dog is making my house one of pure filth. i have day 1 out of 7 days complete of this dog, just praying for it to end. i just don't know why nor how someone would tolerate this

yes i know, it's my fault for being a good friend and willing to help. never again

//EDIT: totally forgot to mention. in addition to the fur, i have probably AT LEAST ONE GALLON of pee on my $40k+ hardwood floors
I figured there was a reason for the rant. Why didn't you even mention what breed it is?

People don't have that problem who KNOW how to deal with the hair. People who take care of their dogs use the proper tools to remove the dead hair. REGULARLY. At least WEEKLY.

Are you pet sitting for free?

I bet not.

Did you even get a history on the dog's bathroom habits? What times of day and how often.

Did you even think that maybe your freakout is making the dog nervous - which can cause excessive shedding and having accidents?

Tell your friend to spring for the money and take her dog to a groomer regularly and do the other things required so the dog's hair is TAKEN CARE OF. Even one who uses the furminator system if they are experienced and know what they're doing.

And next time tell her to hire a professional pet sitter like ME in her home where the dog can be treated well, safe, secure and not a source of irritation by her great "friends".

I just left a client's Doxie who jumped on my lap and left a few hairs on my shirt. OH THE HORROR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,135,279 times
Reputation: 17199
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i assumed when you asked your question you meant walks. i take my dogs out 4x/day, 2x walks and 2x just in backyard

CLOCKED.

The question was:

How often are you taking it outside? How far are the walks?

So the answer is: TWICE.

OBVIOUSLY the question applied to URINATING not "walking" exercise, although sometimes people don't KNOW how to properly take a dog outside for long enough to actually urinate.

They will sniff and mess around and sometimes MANY MANY dogs will urinate several times - so walking has to be focused and monitored.

As a Shi Tzu owner YOU should know that.

ANOTHER problem when you use "friends" for "pet sitting" who don't know what they're doing.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-19-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
 
1,017 posts, read 1,142,184 times
Reputation: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I figured there was a reason for the rant. Why didn't you even mention what breed it is?

People don't have that problem who KNOW how to deal with the hair. People who take care of their dogs use the proper tools to remove the dead hair. REGULARLY. At least WEEKLY.

Are you pet sitting for free?

I bet not.

Did you even get a history on the dog's bathroom habits? What times of day and how often.

Did you even think that maybe your freakout is making the dog nervous - which can cause excessive shedding and having accidents?

Tell your friend to spring for the money and take her dog to a groomer regularly and do the other things required so the dog's hair is TAKEN CARE OF. Even one who uses the furminator system if they are experienced and know what they're doing.

And next time tell her to hire a professional pet sitter like ME in her home where the dog can be treated well, safe, secure and not a source of irritation by her great "friends".

I just left a client's Doxie who jumped on my lap and left a few hairs on my shirt. OH THE HORROR.
husky mix, ~60lbs

you are wrong. yes i am pet sitting for free, again it s a favor for a friend

yes i got bathroom habits. owner told me the dog can (and does weekly) hold it in for 10 hours a day and is well trained. this obviously does not seem to be the case for me. he actually said "don't worry, he is well-trained and his bathroom schedule can be flexible based on your"

again, this is a life lesson - i am never pet sitting again
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
CLOCKED.

The question was:

How often are you taking it outside? How far are the walks?

OBVIOUSLY the question applied to URINATING not walking, although sometimes people don't KNOW how to properly take a dog outside for long enough to actually urinate.

They will sniff and mess around and sometimes MANY MANY dogs will urinate several times - so walking has to be focused and monitored.

As a Shi Tzu owner YOU should know that.

ANOTHER problem when you use "friends" for "pet sitting" who don't know what they're doing.
i take all dogs (mine included) out to pee 4x/day. they usually pee once or twice per time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
3,902 posts, read 4,620,485 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
sorry i did not mean to offend you. i am just curious on what's going through your head and your mindset on this topic

how so? you can probably get the same love from a dog that doesn't shed
Because the dog I adopted from the homeless shelter was sweet, and lovely, and older, and needed a home. And so I chose him. Sure he sheds a lot (A LOT), but I have a robotic vacuum that takes care of that on a daily basis in between my own regular housecleanings, and he's a joy.

There were no other dogs at the rescue at the time I was looking that struck my fancy like he did. I didn't look at him and think, "Oh, he's going to shed too much - I don't want him!" I looked at him and thought, "Oh my, what a sweet face. And he's got a great temperament. Oh, he's older - he's going to have difficulty getting adopted too. Oh he's precious - I'll take him!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
3,902 posts, read 4,620,485 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
husky mix, ~60lbs

you are wrong. yes i am pet sitting for free, again it s a favor for a friend

yes i got bathroom habits. owner told me the dog can (and does weekly) hold it in for 10 hours a day and is well trained. this obviously does not seem to be the case for me. he actually said "don't worry, he is well-trained and his bathroom schedule can be flexible based on your"

again, this is a life lesson - i am never pet sitting again

i take all dogs (mine included) out to pee 4x/day. they usually pee once or twice per time
If you have dogs in your home, chances are your friend's dog is "marking" to cover your dogs' scent rather than just peeing because he can't hold it.

Urine-Marking Behavior: How to Prevent It : The Humane Society of the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 AM
 
3,944 posts, read 2,561,557 times
Reputation: 8447
Because I love German Shepherds. I have 2 right now. I love their willingness to please. I love their intelligence. I love their loyalty and their protective nature. I can and will put up with shedding 365 days a year. My house is cleaned top to bottom once a week and I sweep up the hair as needed. I have sheets on the couches that are washed weekly. Nothing of mine is destroyed or ruined, including my antiques. I wish they shed less but I'm willing to put up with it. Drool not so much. I wouldn't have a Newfoundland or anything that drools a lot but I don't think people who own them "live in filth."

A husky mix will shed a lot. The poor dog is stressed so it will shed more. There is no amount of brushing that will stop the shedding. It will help if you brush it for 10 minutes but it won't stop the shedding.

IMO 4x a day is not enough for a dog to go out. Take it out in the backyard more regardless of what the owner said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top