U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM

3,344 posts, read 9,834,991 times

Advertisements

I have multiple robotic vacuums, and we brush and groom regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
bassetluv: I cried, I repped, I cried again.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:59 PM

50 posts, read 30,237 times
Because I love my dog to a greater extend than I hate vacuuming my couch.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:00 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,036,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Brush the dog outside before bed. It will make you both feel better. Brush 2x day if necessary.
If he.s peeing you aren.t taking him out to do business enough.
Some people either choose to drive themselves crazy running around keeping clean: I prefer to be happy and relax about the fur.
Me too! I try to vacuum every day, but if 2 (or 3 or 4) days go by and there is a drift of hair in the corner, so be it. Life goes on. In fact, it's easier to gather up big "dustballs" of fur than the smaller ones!

I furminate my dog and one of my cats once a week, preferably when it's windy so it blows away! My yard always looks like a furry mess when I'm done. My other cat cannot stand being brushed and always hides when she sees the brush. She's weird.

Fun fact: I've discovered what looks suspiciously like my dog's fur in bird nests, mouse nests, and burrows at the edge of my yard.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:13 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,732,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i love dogs.

I believe you...I really do, sincerely.

those with a dog breed that sheds a lot - WHY?!?!

It might be similar to a significant other that absolutely NOBODY can understand. WHY?? Sometimes we just love what and who we love. In my case it just so happens to be Shelties; the older one is perfect and always has been...really easy for me to clean up after his 'cotton candy' fur sticking to everything like a magnet and sometimes floating on a wisp of air. The little girl, meh, not so much! She was an abused little girl who bit me the first time I met her, yeah, definitely a dangerous dog and on the chopping block.

why do/did you choose that dog? why do you tolerate it? you know everything they touch becomes destroyed, esp your most prized possession - your property, your house. every moment of every second your dog is lowering the value of everything you own. i've seen cars have more fur on them then actual cushioning. every moment they are causing you more headache because you have to babysit and clean up after them. every moment they are giving you more work to do, more effort, more fatigue. i just don't get it, WHY?!?

I think most dogs will give you their very, very best; whatever their abilities and experiences (especially if they're a rescue) allow them to. Also, as others have indicated, I did not choose these dogs, they chose me and I have to give them credit for that because it couldn't have worked out better. Also, I am older and wiser now and I no longer own or idolize 'prized possessions'; my dogs are the prize as far as I'm concerned. I still can't figure out what I ever did to deserve them!

For me personally, Shelties do it for me. I do not believe that I will ever have two dogs that I could love more, sometimes it makes me misty eyed. That's my 'dog tails' and I'm sticking to it!
Quote:
//EDIT: totally forgot to mention. in addition to the fur, i have probably AT LEAST ONE GALLON of pee on my $40k+ hardwood floors

Maybe this will help you.

Pet Stain Removal

To remove the pet urine stains, I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on the stain, covered it with a hydrogen peroxide-soaked rag, and then covered that with plastic wrap and let everything sit overnight. In the morning, the black stains and odor were gone, and I was able to sand and refinish my floors.

Best Solutions for Removing Old Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors | Old House Web

How to Remove Pet Urine from Hardwood Floors

Urine stains can turn hardwood floors either white or jet black. Either way, the urine must be pulled up and peroxide does the trick.

Here is a removal method that has been successful for many.

How to Remove Pet Urine from Hardwood Floors
Good luck!

Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 PM

174 posts, read 109,933 times
I have a long-haired white cat, and prefer dark colors. I used to tolerate it, while consuming alarming quantities of lint roller refills. Then we both decided he preferred his hair short, and he didn't care how he looked. So now I keep a pair of grooming scissors always within reach. Bonus - hairballs also went to almost nothing.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:09 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,634,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's good that you're not planning on having another dog in the future. The dog lovers of the world thank you for that. Because anyone who believes that dog hair and cleaning up dog dog poop is too much hassle shouldn't have a dog.

Labradoodles aren't a breed. They're mutts purposely bred to be mutts, thus contributing to our terrible pet overpopulation problem. So there's that. Secondly, the fact that an old dog is incontinent is hardly a punishable offense; it means he's old. Once again, dogs are mammals, as humans are. We shed, as do dogs. What makes dog hair so much more disgusting than human hair? It's the same thing; strands of keratin attached to hair follicles, then sloughed off at different times. When there's too much of it, you clean it up just as you do any other hair. I also find it hard to believe that your children are so perfect that they don't make messes. Every child is messy. And expensive.
Just for the record, both of their dogs, including the Labradoodle, were rescued from a shelter. So please don't blame them for the breeding them or the overpopulation problem.

Our lab, who is also a rescue, is very loved, and has a pretty damn good life. But I know that I don't want to do it again. What's so bad about that? There are people who have a child and decide they don't want to have another.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,142,184 times
thanks for everyone's posts. for the record, i love my dogs. i would take a bullet for them, and i understand everyone's loving emotions for their own dog (or cat)

and repeating myself again - this post is about a dog i am pet-sitting for. i have absolutely no relationship with this dog nor feel anything towards it. to me, this husky mix is nothing but a hassle and burden to me. i have a couple more days left to look after him. i have been vacuuming every other day to keep my house sane.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM

12,408 posts, read 7,457,768 times
Quote:
and repeating myself again - this post is about a dog i am pet-sitting for. i have absolutely no relationship with this dog nor feel anything towards it. to me, this husky mix is nothing but a hassle and burden to me. i have a couple more days left to look after him. i have been vacuuming every other day to keep my house sane.
Yeah, you should probably never pet sit again if that is the way you feel about this dog. I cannot think of any dog that I have ever cared for that I felt nothing for, and only thought of them as a burden. Poor dog. Would probably be best if you were able to get the dog's shot records so that you could take him to a boarding kennel where he would be around people who would want to care for him. The dog can tell you hate him. I would feel horrible if I left my dog in such an environment.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,135,279 times
Quote:
thanks for everyone's posts. for the record, i love my dogs. i would take a bullet for them, and i understand everyone's loving emotions for their own dog (or cat)

You probably should not have started your original post with the statement " I love dogs."

You know what makes a good pet sitter? The fact that I would take a bullet for YOUR dogs -prior relationship or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets