Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:38 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, you should probably never pet sit again if that is the way you feel about this dog. I cannot think of any dog that I have ever cared for that I felt nothing for, and only thought of them as a burden. Poor dog. Would probably be best if you were able to get the dog's shot records so that you could take him to a boarding kennel where he would be around people who would want to care for him. The dog can tell you hate him. I would feel horrible if I left my dog in such an environment.
here's the thing - if this dog didn't shed at all and was a smaller dog (like mine), i would probably really like him/her. literally, just those 2 things would make me like it a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
here's the thing - if this dog didn't shed at all and was a smaller dog (like mine), i would probably really like him/her. literally, just those 2 things would make me like it a lot
You don't even know if the dog you are supposedly watching for a friend is male or female?!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You don't even know if the dog you are supposedly watching for a friend is male or female?!
lol it's a male. sorry i meant to say is i basically would like ANY dog (whether i'm pet sitting it or not) if it wasn't a large dog + sheds a lot, irregardless of gender

Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
I had never had dogs. My family did, but they weren't mine. Until this little pill was picked up on the side of the road by my father. She was young, already house trained but wasn't fixed yet (despite being about a year old, by vet best guess). I went to every vet in a 20 mile radius. No one recognized the dog. I put out notices up at all the vets (this was a rural area, so no way to put out "flyers" on street corners). No one came forward. So I had the dog fixed and got her shots. And then the little brat adopted me. Now I own a dog. She is a mutt who sheds wiry beige fur. And loves us like we hung the moon.

I also was adopted by a giant Maine Coon mix. He was 3-5 years old when we went to the vet to adopt a "kitten". It was Spring, and there were cages of kittens, little balls of fur with eyes like diamonds. We were poking into one of the cages and this giant orange paw kept reaching out and batting at our hands. So I asked for him to be pulled out so we could meet him formally. And he proceeded to win us over. BIG cat. FUR like you would not believe. And he had a kill date. So I told my son that the kittens will find homes, but grown cats had a harder time, and this guy was about to reach the end of his. So we took him home. And he owns us. He produces fur like a commodity. And he is very wealthy.

My husband's dog was a neurotic mess. She would chew up anything. I made my then boyfriend, now husband replace about 15 pairs of underwear which I swear this dog chewed up purely out of spite. 3 pairs of his shoes while we dated, 2 pairs of his jeans, my son's clothes. She peed on the floor LAKES if you missed her cue about outside time, and often poop too (a Basenji, they don't bark). I was clueless because I had this very well behaved dog who knew me and my schedule, and remember, I had never "had" a dog before her. When we got engaged, my husband pulled a trick I still laugh about. He's old fashioned, and had been burned before, so he would NOT move into my house until we were married. But he did move his dog into my house. I dealt. Because I loved him, and he loved the dog. We replaced what we needed to replace. I cleaned (or made my boyfriend/fiance/husband) what needed to be cleaned. I never loved that dog. But I did tolerate, and even, I hope, cared well for his dog until her final days.

And because I can empathize with the dog the OP is "caring for" I get a house sitter, well, a pet sitter, who comes to MY house, stays here, and has a full list of my animals likes, dislikes, idiosyncrasies, issues, and strict schedule for all of our multiple trips we take each year. They do not cramp our lifestyle. They do not hinder us. If anything we get more exercise because of the dog. The cat, eh, he shows us how a nap should be enjoyed, savored. And he makes us laugh. He's about 16 now. The dog is now 7.

We only have, within our lives, that which we can tolerate. Hopefully we have within our households that which we enjoy and gives us comfort and pleasure. Fur is extra. We clean up after their messes the same way we clean up our own. We tolerate that because this furry, messy, occasionally naughty household is our own.

OP, your household has been infringed upon, but it was by your own agreement. Be nice to the dog. It's just being a dog. It's feeling unloved and unappreciated. And you admit that you don't even LIKE it and definitely don't appreciate it's intrusion that YOU AGREED to. It will be a much nicer 5 more days if you try and work with the dog.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
I have two dogs. The shedder is a red heeler. I didn't choose him. He chose me. In the 13 years I have had him, I have swept up enough dog hair for a lifetime. I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. When the time comes for me to find another dog, I'm not going to care whether the animal sheds or not.

My heeler has the best personality I have ever seen in a dog. He is extremely intelligent and loyal. The hair is just a by product, just as changing diapers for three kids was.

I have also owned a Husky. Another absolutely great dog.

Last edited by I Am Woman; 08-21-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 06:53 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post

Just stop.

So now you "don't like the dog" because he's big.

And because the poor dog's IDIOT MORON owner - your "friend" - doesn't take care of his coat.

Brilliant.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's good that you're not planning on having another dog in the future. The dog lovers of the world thank you for that. Because anyone who believes that dog hair and cleaning up dog dog poop is too much hassle shouldn't have a dog.
Absolutely correct. I won't ever have one for those reasons, and more.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You never got a babysitter? Never left a child with the grandparents?
Actually, I paid a babysitter ONCE. And I could count on one hand the times that I left my son with his grandparents because they lived out of town most of his younger years.

Quote:
Pets learn, too. And I've never boarded my pets - I have a friend who stays here.
LOL. Pets learn not very much at all. Just go out on Youtube and watch the tons of videos of grown dogs that destroy stuff while the owners are gone. As far as boarding, that has to be planned too. No last minute trips without planning to board (and the cost is outrageous) and man I don't know ANYone that has someone stay at their house to watch their dog. That's nuts.

Quote:
Kids are messy (and shed). Pets are messy (and shed). Both are worth it.
In your opinion. For me, kids are, but pets definitely are not.

Quote:
I well remember trails of sand through the house from the back door to the front. Muddy footprints. Sticky jelly handprints on the counters, walls, and windows. Paint on the underside of the kitchen table after art projects (not discovered until years later, because who regularly looks at the underside of your kitchen table?). Clumps of wet grass that stuck to bare feet only to fall off inside the house as it dried. Overflowing bubbles from a bubble bath. The lone lego that was missed at cleanup time, only to be discovered at 2 am when investigating a noise. The container of collected bugs, brought inside to "save", which was then mysteriously opened to "free" them (no one ever fessed up to that one!). Etc. When one has a household of 3 active boys, one gets a LOT of messes.

Mine are grown now, but they still make messes. Piles of college supplies they want to keep (mostly books, but they take up space!). Camping and fishing gear they use regularly, but have no place to store at their small apartments. Skis and canoes they use, but have no place to store at said apartments. All is dropped off and stored here.
I must have been very lucky. I never had such messes, but I only had one son. He was a very mild-mannered, very well-behaved child - his "terrible twos" consisted of ONE quick tantrum, and then he fell asleep in the car. I think he was this good because I just don't tolerate misbehaving and disrespect. So for me, kids are far easier to deal with. I don't enjoy putting up with that crap that dogs do, that other people find cute. I will tolerate MUCH more from a child, but as I said, a child does learn.

Quote:
It's not a problem at all - I actually love it! (pets AND kids!).

I fail to see a problem.
Yet I do. So for that reason, I do not ever want another pet, at least not in the house. You can keep a zoo if you like.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:07 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
Why is having someone stay at your house to watch your pets "nuts'? Its easier on the pets. If you budget this as part of your vacation, it's not a big deal. Costs less than you would think, and the peace of mind is well worth it.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 PM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
Why is having someone stay at your house to watch your pets "nuts'? Its easier on the pets. If you budget this as part of your vacation, it's not a big deal. Costs less than you would think, and the peace of mind is well worth it.
Can't rep you again at the moment, so..... Simple. Though I understand some people dog want to,spend any money on a pet, especially if they consider it a thing, or an annoyance. I think that is one of the biggest reasons (at least top10) for giving up a pet, vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets