Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 04:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times

Advertisements

Because we love our pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You say you have doxies? WHY would you own a dog that is almost certainly going to have back problems. WHY?!?!?!
a bit off topic - but my dachshund is a mix. she has longer legs than usual, so does not suffer major back problems like normal weiner dogs. however, we do our best to prevent it by such acts as prevent jumping, hoping, stairs, etc. either way, the possibility of having a bad back doesn't cause me more "pain" and "effort" compared to needing to vacuum every day

Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I have 3 shorthair cats, and they shed surprisingly a lot. You just have to be diligent about brushing, using the Swiffer, etc. They are worth it and they give your love back in spades.

I had an alcoholic ex that did more damage to the house than any cat or dog.
I have only had mid-length-fur cats (tending toward long hair just at the ruff on a male), and groomed them daily. We nearly never saw any fur around, yet a friend's short-hair cat shed significantly.

It reminds me of the gender gap—the difference between older men and women. The short-haired guys shed a lot more than longer-haired women.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:40 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
if you are asking why i'm asking it's because i'm dog-sitting a friends dog for a week and it's sheds like crazy. i just moved into a new house ($600k+) less than 6 months ago and i feel like my house is getting destroyed. yes i do feel like this dog is making my house one of pure filth. i have day 1 out of 7 days complete of this dog, just praying for it to end. i just don't know why nor how someone would tolerate this

yes i know, it's my fault for being a good friend and willing to help. never again

//EDIT: totally forgot to mention. in addition to the fur, i have probably AT LEAST ONE GALLON of pee on my $40k+ hardwood floors
Thank you for letting us know your net worth.

You've been pet sitting for a day and the poor dog has released a gallon of pee on the floor? Get that dog to the vet immediately!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
We have a cat that is part Maine Coon. She sheds constantly at least nine months of the year. There is hair everywhere, particularly where she sits or lays. The white drapes have huge clumps of brown hair that is impossible to get off, from where she peeks out the window when the drapes are closed. Why do we tolerate it? Because she is a member of the family and she is smarter and has better manners than most people that I have ever met. Pets aren't perfect, just like people.

My question is why do people have aggressive pets? Cats that attack, dogs that attack and bite their owners and even kill the owners children, etc. My cat does her share of shedding, but she would never attack anyone.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I can kind of see where the OP is coming from. We have an 80 pound lab. She sheds like crazy. We trained her to not get on the furniture, so that's not an issue. And when she's in the car, she's in the back of my SUV which has a liner in the cargo space, so no issue there. But I have to vacuum every day. We have hardwood floors, and her white fur floats around on it like tumbleweeds. She is getting older, and will definitely be our last dog for this reason. Well, that and the dog poo in the back yard.
It's good that you're not planning on having another dog in the future. The dog lovers of the world thank you for that. Because anyone who believes that dog hair and cleaning up dog dog poop is too much hassle shouldn't have a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My in-laws have two dogs. One is a non-shedding breed (labradoodle), but the other one more than makes up for that. They vacuum all the time, but there is still fur everywhere. Their dogs are also allowed on the furniture and they drive them around a lot, so the basically new car is trashed. One dog is now pretty elderly (14 years old and a 50 pound shepherd mix), and she's starting to have incontinence issues. So on top of the fur, they are cleaning up dog mess all the time. They have wood floors, and are hyper-vigilant about cleaning it up, but there is a definitely dog smell when you walk into their very nice (and expensive) house. And, yes, the dog has had "accidents" of all kinds, if you know what I mean, in the car. Much harder to get that out of upholstery car rugs than hardwood floors.

I have 2 kids and they never messed up my house a much as my dog. They leave toys around and such, but those are easy to just pick up and put away.
Labradoodles aren't a breed. They're mutts purposely bred to be mutts, thus contributing to our terrible pet overpopulation problem. So there's that. Secondly, the fact that an old dog is incontinent is hardly a punishable offense; it means he's old. Once again, dogs are mammals, as humans are. We shed, as do dogs. What makes dog hair so much more disgusting than human hair? It's the same thing; strands of keratin attached to hair follicles, then sloughed off at different times. When there's too much of it, you clean it up just as you do any other hair. I also find it hard to believe that your children are so perfect that they don't make messes. Every child is messy. And expensive.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I have a mini Aussie & yes the hair is everywhere. I hit the car wash vacuums all the time, employ lint rollers, brushes etc ...

Typical to Aussie's she is both a born "herder" & a mini-shadow. If you get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night she will be there "gaurding" you when you open the door.

I have a son with Autism that she has adopted as her own. He is prone to "elopement" (wandering) which is the leading cause of death for children with Autism.

Twice, despite the double-keyed entrys, window alarms, GPS trackers & my having to sleep with him every night; he has woke before me & got out the front door.

Both times she has gone ballistic; barking, scratching, pawing at me & both times he never made it past the next door neighbors house.

I'll gladly deal with the fur ... & both times she has had a rib-eye steak; all to herself.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:47 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Buy cheaper stuff

Old 08-20-2016, 03:36 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Why can't you call your friend and tell them that this is not working out for you and that you need to take the dog and have it boarded at a kennel for the rest of the week?

Problem solved.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Boy, would I be afraid to leave my beloved pet in your care !!!!!

It's very simple, if YOU don't like pet hair, don't get a pet that sheds a lot. (but it doesn't seem like any pet would be welcome in your home). We , who love pets unconditionally, put up with their hair, their throwing up occasionally, and any other little messes they might make.

We have 3 cats and they shed like mad, but that is part and parcel of owning a pet. You simply vacuum it up and pat them on the head and tell them how much you love them.

But, so that you protect that $600K castle, I suggest you don't get any pet. Goldfish in a bowl might work best for you.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets