Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wow, bad reading comprehension again. My post never said that all animal "crazies" have no human friends.

Below are the exact words from my first post's last sentence.

Also, even though having a pet can be a way to connect with other pet owners, it can also isolate someone when they feel no need to relate to anyone else.

Frankly, I don't care if someone chooses to isolate him or herself. But don't come squalling then when nobody knows if such a person had a stroke and the pet can't revive the owner or find someone who can.
I relate to my dogs, and especially some of the cats, far more than people. I have problems with depression and my fourlegged kids know when Mom need a snuggle and a bath and some purrs. People are wrapped up in their own heads and don't notice. I'll probably be moving the next spring and some have to stay behind, which is making me feel very sad over happy, but my son will have to live with me visiting with the family when I feel like it and go to my little house and shut the door and everyone else but the fourlegged ones when I need to.

I'm very much a loner an an introvert, and find some animals can tell and just know the exact right thing you need where people are clueless. I am a loner and always will be, but having my pets has not made me like that, it simply has given me calm and peace where people cannot. My pets are the best company I know. Some humans are too, but only some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension?....
Quote:
Wow, bad reading comprehension again...

A good example of why we love our pets so much!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I once lived with a guy who said that he would think about marrying me if I got rid of my cats. I got rid of him, instead.

To love me is to love my cats.

Cat
That's how my mom feels about her cats. She thinks "allergic" means "a personal dislike". If I go in her house, I have to go to urgent care and get a shot because my throat swells up, and then I have asthma attacks for a month afterwards. I looked into the allergy shots because I want to be able to see my dad, but the shots are supposed to take three years and my dad doesn't have that long left.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
A good example of why we love our pets so much!
Ah, because pets can't read at all, never mind comprehend what they read. Because you cannot twist their words into something that was not said.

Good thing you have your furry dependents.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
What i dont get is people expecting the fire department and such to run into their burning house and save their pets. that just blows my mind.
Many fire departments now have thermal imaging cameras that can help spot people and pets left behind in a burning building.

Firemen will go back into a building to retrieve a pet because if they don't, the homeowner might. And the fireman is better equipped to survive that situation.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
What i dont get is people expecting the fire department and such to run into their burning house and save their pets. that just blows my mind.
They not only expect it, the Fire Departments WANT to, if they think they can safely do so. It makes sense. Pets are members of the family, and are little beings. They suffer and feel pain, the same as you. If anyone would rather not bother preventing another being from pain and suffering, that person as far from being a good and compassionate person as one can get.

I'm not an animal nut by any means, but I love animals, and dogs in particular. I think I would on reflex risk my life to save a dog, depending on the circumstances. It wouldn't be a conscious choice. I just think I might react on instinct that way. I can't help it. I'm compassionate, esp towards little beings who aren't able to help themselves, like children and animals.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
They not only expect it, the Fire Departments WANT to, if they think they can safely do so. It makes sense. Pets are members of the family, and are little beings. They suffer and feel pain, the same as you. If anyone would rather not bother preventing another being from pain and suffering, that person as far from being a good and compassionate person as one can get.

I'm not an animal nut by any means, but I love animals, and dogs in particular. I think I would on reflex risk my life to save a dog, depending on the circumstances. It wouldn't be a conscious choice. I just think I might react on instinct that way. I can't help it. I'm compassionate, esp towards little beings who aren't able to help themselves, like children and animals.
A dear friend of mine died recently when he went back into his burning house to save his beloved dogs. While so many of us who knew and loved Ryan were incredibly sad at his death, nobody was surprised at his actions which led to it.

Georgia landscape designer Ryan Gainey killed in fire | www.ajc.com

Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A dear friend of mine died recently when he went back into his burning house to save his beloved dogs. While so many of us who knew and loved Ryan were incredibly sad at his death, nobody was surprised at his actions which led to it.

Georgia landscape designer Ryan Gainey killed in fire | www.ajc.com
Its too bad this story didn't have a happy ending. I can completely relate to him for wanting to go back to save his dogs. I would most likely do the same if I thought that there was even a small chance to rescue my pet. Poor guy, may he rest in peace.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Very interesting that in the 18-34 age group, men are much more likely to have dogs and cats. I wouldn't have guessed that. It tells me that young women are putting more energy into trying to have kids (and probably on their careers) then men are nowadays.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i rather watch tv with my weiny dog, he doesnt have much of an opinion on what i want to watch
My Great Dane does. She gets bored if I'm watching a show without dogs or horses in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets