Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Developing an intimate relationship with a pet takes far less work than developing one with a human, you just go pick one out and it can't say no. For the most part they are just happy to be fed, pet, and have a warm, dry place to sleep and are therefore immediately willing to love you in gratitude. Relationships with humans require flexibility, compromise, consensus, and at times capitulation. With a pet you are the boss and most pets act like like you are the single most important creature on Earth. A pet might run away but for the most part you can prevent them from leaving.

I honestly think too many people use their pets to fill emotional holes, that should be filled by relationships with other humans, when they have poor relationship skills. It makes me a little sad but they are entitled to live their lives how they see fit. What I have issue with is a what looks like a trend of too many of these owners expecting all of society to consider their pet on equal footing with children. Our pets are loving, wonderful creature who greatly enrich our lives but they are not entitled to the same rights and privledges as humans.

It is not really surprising that millenials own pets at such a greater level than the rest of society, at their age other generations were having babies in answer to their ticking biological clocks, they seem to delaying that developmental transition for a variety of reasons.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
I would think "dog" people with dog people and "cat" people with cat people, would foster more compatible relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Humans >> animals (though we are also animals)

My family >> anyone/anything

My dogs = family. (So are my kids, wife, parents, brother, certain friends, etc.)

Therefore...

Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I would think "dog" people with dog people and "cat" people with cat people, would foster more compatible relationships.
But, what about those of us who are bipetual?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:43 PM

77 posts, read 37,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Btw, pets can disappoint. My cats would never come to my rescue. A fly on the wall captures their attention more than my well-being. Sigh.
That's definitely a cat for you

Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Well it's not that I have a problem with people picking pets (or animals in general) over other people, but in some situations it is necessary to side with our own species over others for survival.

What I really cant stand is people buying pets to dump all their emotional problems on, and use as a crutch (for lack of better words) for overcompensating whatever they can't deal with in their own family or with humanity in general. I cannot stand when people try to make their pets wear clothes, give them the most ridiculous names ever, refuse to take proper care of pet (spay/nuder is #1), pedicures and mess like that, it is all just too much.
One thing pets, notably dogs and cats, can do is just be there. They can't fix what's happened, but can just be there, and cuddle or lick or not leave your side. They don't care what anyone thinks, they won't ask any questions, they just know their person if hurting. The calm presense of a pet can help people deal with life. Your dog will not obsess about what if's, but stay close and remain calm. Your dog or cat can smell the biochemical changes when falling into depression, and other ills. They act for their human and can give someone who's on the edge just enough positive to be able to climb out.

And if the problem is family and they are toxic, a dog or cat or two can be that silient support and help the person be strong enough to just stay away from family if they are the problem.

Some people go overboard and buy little dresses for their pets, but I would never call it abuse. And a dog has no idea what its name means. And not every place has a cheap spay and neuter option so it may be groceries of having the dog fixed.

Consider being outraged over people who misuse 'pets' by fighting them or leave them in the yard in the heat so the house stays nice and the like.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:05 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
[quote=Oldhag1;45505020]Developing an intimate relationship with a pet takes far less work than developing one with a human, you just go pick one out and it can't say no. For the most part they are just happy to be fed, pet, and have a warm, dry place to sleep and are therefore immediately willing to love you in gratitude. Relationships with humans require flexibility, compromise, consensus, and at times capitulation. With a pet you are the boss and most pets act like like you are the single most important creature on Earth. A pet might run away but for the most part you can prevent them from leaving. /QUOTE]

Exactly.

And I think if pets could talk, give their opinion--life with pets would be quite different.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:37 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I'd pick a pet over a person. It's just my preference and I don't have to explain it or defend it. However, people are different and if not having a pet is more preferable to others, that's fine in my book. People being different keeps us from being all the same.

But for those who think a pet is just a pet, you should read "So That Others May Live" by Caroline Hebard. This is a woman who almost single-handedly made dogs part of the Search and Rescue teams we know today. Her description of the dogs that continue to go out and search, in dangerous and incredibly difficult and uncomfortable situations, solely because of their drive to work and for the love of their owners, is amazing.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This article is mostly about millennials but I think people of all ages are picking pets over people. Elderly people living alone get so much comfort from their pets, especially when their families are estranged or too busy to give them much attention. And I don't think that is such a bad thing. People can disappoint us so much and are so mean to each other. Pets usually just want to please and be cared for without judgment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rainbow&wpmm=1
The article brings up a good point about the increase in popularity of pets, along with people who pamper those pets. Are animals becoming a replacement for children? I don't know. But I do believe that in many many cases, pets are viewed on the same level as children. If I were to analyze myself - someone who has always had a pet in her life, and who loves all animals - I'd have to say that I do this (although I abhor calling my dog "my kid", "my fur baby", etc.). And it seems to make sense. After all, domesticated animals do require the same needs as a child; the owner is responsible for their feeding, safety, health, and overall happiness. We, as humans, have put them into that position. And while not all pet owners regard their animals as more than pets - another species with whom they share their home, but not with rights equal to that of their human family members - I'd have to guess that a majority of pet owners do, given the ever-expanding retail market (doggy daycare, mega-stores for pets, dog parks, designer pet clothing, you name it).

Is it a trend that will someday change? I'd suggest that no, people who love their pets and view them as family will not change, not in the foreseeable future...in fact, it will probably become even more so as time passes. Is it harmful? It could be, at least to the individual, if they find themselves becoming more isolated because of their pet, foregoing human relationships because of it, or in general beginning to view humans as 'not as good as my dog/cat/bird/rabbit/horse'. That potential is certainly there, and it can in part be perpetuated by all of the stories of animal cruelty that we hear about on a daily basis. I often see people who express their opinions, stating that an animal abuser should be shot, or tortured, or whatever...and I tend to cringe at the statement. While animal cruelty sickens me to the core, I also cringe when I see people express "I love my pet more than I love people". I can understand where the sentiment comes from, but it has the potential of becoming a segue to people isolating themselves from others, or (in general) viewing humans as evil. Yes, there is evil out there, but the horrific stories of cruelty, toward animals and other people, I'd like to think is in the minority. For every abuser, there are multitudes of people who are caring, loving, and would do anything for others. And I worry that we will lose sight of that when we focus too much upon the individuals who are filled with anger and hate.

That said, how do I view my pets? Any time I have ever had an animal share his or her life with me, I've felt ultimately responsible for providing the best care for them, within my capability. Do I equate them with people, or elevate them even higher? I'd like to think that I don't compare. Instead, to me, life is life. My dog, or my cat, or my rabbit, or whatever pet I've had, deserves to be treated with respect. They depend upon me for their happiness and overall survival. That makes me responsible for them, period. Are they considered 'a family member' by me? Yes, absolutely, though I don't think of them as, or compare them to, humans. I've looked into the eyes of an animal and have seen just how much their life matters to them, and I understand that their life is in my hands. That is where animals get my respect, as living, sentient creatures, as souls. And so often a pet can make such an enormous difference in a person's life...this should never be discounted. I read recently about an elderly dog that was adopted from a high-kill shelter, who went on to become a hospice worker in a seniors' home, and the turnaround in many of those residents was remarkable once the dog came on scene. They began interacting again, some began speaking, where they'd been silent for many months, and smiles began appearing on forlorn faces.

There's something about animal-human interaction that is good for both species, given the opportunity. To denigrate one or the other is to do a disservice to them, imo. To tell someone that a pet should not be looked upon as a family member is (again imo) quite judgemental and unfair. Yes, of course there is opportunity for pet ownership to have a downside if people begin shunning others for their pets, as I mentioned previously...just as there is a downside for anyone who simply chooses to turn their back on society. And some people can take pet ownership to the extreme, anthropomorphizing and viewing their pets as "little humans" and treating them as such, and inadvertently neglecting the animal's needs and wants. But overall, animal-human interaction is something that cannot be taken lightly, cannot be brushed off as the silly quirks of some people, and - ultimately - it is something that is extremely important in our society for both animals and humans. To view it as anything less is a detriment to both species.

Last edited by bassetluv; 09-17-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Well it's not that I have a problem with people picking pets (or animals in general) over other people, but in some situations it is necessary to side with our own species over others for survival.

What I really cant stand is people buying pets to dump all their emotional problems on, and use as a crutch (for lack of better words) for overcompensating whatever they can't deal with in their own family or with humanity in general. I cannot stand when people try to make their pets wear clothes, give them the most ridiculous names ever, refuse to take proper care of pet (spay/nuder is #1), pedicures and mess like that, it is all just too much.
It cuts both ways. I think spoiling your child and making him her behave like an entitled brat constitutes a greater threat to society. The most dangerous animal on earth is humans. How often we forget that, falsely believing ourselves superior to other animals in every respect, and trampling over any rights they have without a second thought. Might doesn't make right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets