U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:56 AM

13,345 posts, read 6,547,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You refuse to keep your own cat inside. Do you really think that cat's owner will agree to keep him inside? Because keeping him inside is the only thing that will stop him from annoying the neighbors.

You let your own cat wander free without the slightest clue about whether or not your cat is annoying anyone. Do you care?
Quite right. And your cat isn't trying to protect you, but his or her own territory. The cat is nice, you said. I had one like that, he'd come to visit my kitty. My kitty seemed to be extraordinarily popular. They all came to hang out with her and eventually all wanted to come in and check out her digs.

It wouldn't have happened if I didn't let HER out. So I couldn't complain. The poor nice kitty that wanted to come in often, it did make my new adoptee mad so I couldn't have it, but I was more worried about him than mad. Perhaps his owners didn't realize he didn't WANT to be out all night like he seemed to be and I worried he was coming in for that reason.

I still wonder about him .... no one comes to see us since bunny girl is gone (a result of letting her out, btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:58 AM

313 posts, read 161,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I think you are confused about the difference between animal control (gov't run & funded agency) and a humane society (private organization, generally a 501c3, funded by private donations not tax revenue.
Most Humane societies are filled to the brim with unwanted pets and are not waiting with open arms for more. Which usually leads people to other shelters where they are killed within a day or two.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 AM

417 posts, read 222,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP What ever happened?
Well we put a trail cam out after we lost six of our baby chicks. We caught the cat stalking around our yard at night, and I think it was the cat that was killing the chicks. We haven't seen it since our last chick died. We found out it was not a nice cat. It attacked my other neighbor and drew blood. No one in the neighborhood has seen it since November

Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 AM

Baby chicks are prey to numerous animals like hawks, fox, coyotes, raccoons, owls just to name a few.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:56 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,874,722 times
If nobody owns tge cat, take it and drop it off in the next county...

Old 02-04-2017, 06:27 PM

3,331 posts, read 9,791,218 times
Some pet doors come with a collar that "talks" to the door so it will only open for YOUR pet.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:58 AM

7,969 posts, read 11,588,104 times
God I hope all these cats are neutered..........

Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Sounds like the cat was a scapegoat, which is so often the case.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 PM

473 posts, read 321,126 times
I bought dog-door with remote dog collar so the door only opened for my dog. My old neighborhood had bad problem with skunks roaming around during day as my place was on edge of wooded area. Day skunk sightings mean rabid skunks usually...I never had another animal in my place and my indoor-only cat never got out. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand. Door was like $200 and replacement collars about $35. I would try to find the product at the local big-box hardware store to see how big the collar transmitter really is so you don't end up with something so big the cat's neck drags plus maybe unable to return it all. Arrangement worked nicely for 25lb dog.

Strange but the door would open randomly if lawn mower ran past the door while mowing yard. Weird lawn mower produced same frequency as collar.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM

919 posts, read 322,953 times
Research by Sydney Uni. back in the 1970s-80s revealed that cats that are allowed to roam, kill at least 300 animals a year, including native birds, frogs & lizards.. In Australia, cats are the single most responsible cause of animal extinctions.
It does my head in when people who claim to be responsible animal lovers, allow their cats out to kill & foul other peoples yards.

In my area, many people seem to have an aversion to trees & shrubs. My yard is full of native trees & shrubs that attracts birds like galahs, rainbow lorikeets, black cockatoos, yellow-crested cockatoos, grass parrots, to name several, & quite a few frog & lizard species. Unfortunately, MY yard also attracts the neighbourhood cats.
I became sick & tired of finding dead animals in my yard & sinking my fingers into soft cat poo while gardening, that I bought a cat trap.

The trapped cats are taken to the local council pound. Most cats here are micro-chipped, so cats get to go home after the owners pay a fine (If not micro-chipped, the council pound is the first place where most concerned owners will look) Except for a couple of exceptions, I rarely see a caught cat out roaming again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or